Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2019, 01:06 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Weboost 65, any feedback?

Anybody using the Weboost 65 that can give some real world feedback? I'm checking it out but the price is pretty steep. Don't want to commit to find it doesn't work as needed.

We are hoping to get our signal strengths strong enough to log into work accounts and do some remote work. Most of the time I don't have a strong enough signal for this. $650 is pretty high to find out it can't do the job.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:21 PM   #2
Site Team

I’ve not used this version of the product. I do have the WeBoost Drive 4G- X and have used it for 4 years or more.

Here’s the deal, boosting isn’t always a thing you need. I would estimate that we use boosting less than 25% of the time.

1. Many time we have plenty of signal without boosting
2. Many times our $29 Netgear MiMo antennae is better than boosting
3. Sometime there is just No signal to boost. Period.
4. Sometimes it makes all the difference and we couldn’t live without it

Thing is numbers 1 thru 3 make up 85% - 90% of the places we go.

When we need it and it makes all the difference we’re happy to have it. The rest of the time it’s turned off and is just there if we need it.

We spent about $400 for it 4 or so years ago. If I had to replace it I’d try to find a used one for less money.

We’re at a Texas State Park in rural Texas right now. We’re close to a small town with a few thousand residents, so it’s not a big place. We’re getting 42 mbps download speed with just the Netgear MiMo antenna right now. However, one of our favorite state parks is 7-miles south of an even smaller rural town and there is no signal available normally. But with the WeBoost we get good enough speeds to stream TV.

So here, it’s no help, but at that other park it’s vital. It’s just there are fewer areas that need the cell signal boosted.

Hopefully that can help you determine if you want to spend $650 and go through the trouble of erecting a pole and antenna as you RV.

PS. We use the small 4” stubby antenna mounted on a 12” round ground plane on our roof.
Attached Images

Old 12-03-2019, 07:53 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Hmm, thanks creativepart for the feedback. Now you got me thinking and looking into other options. We currently have T-mobile as our carrier so I'm looking into their hotspot devices and it's pretty limited and can't hook to an antenna.

Now I'm checking out the Netgear M1 Nighthawk mobile hotspot, but not sure how it'll work with T-Mobile. But I think I'll take your advice and try these options first before diving into the Weboost 65 option.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:28 AM   #4
Site Team

We use the Nighthawk with ATT. We really like its performance but wish the screen was a touch screen. You have to log in to it on a browser or App to administer the device.

We also have added and use a Verizon 730L Jetpack. It does have a touch screen and dual antenna ports.

With ATT and Verizon MiFi options we’re almost always able to get a good signal on one or the other. Things are not as good coverage-wise with T-Mobile and Sprint.

We connect our MiFis to a WiFi Ranger GoAC router which make it super easy to connect our two phones, two iPads and two Roku devices to the constant private network inside the RV. The private network never changes. So when we get somewhere I just find our best internet and set up the router to use it. Then everything on board is automatically online too.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:49 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
We use the Nighthawk with ATT. We really like its performance but wish the screen was a touch screen. You have to log in to it on a browser or App to administer the device.

We also have added and use a Verizon 730L Jetpack. It does have a touch screen and dual antenna ports.

With ATT and Verizon MiFi options we’re almost always able to get a good signal on one or the other. Things are not as good coverage-wise with T-Mobile and Sprint.

We connect our MiFis to a WiFi Ranger GoAC router which make it super easy to connect our two phones, two iPads and two Roku devices to the constant private network inside the RV. The private network never changes. So when we get somewhere I just find our best internet and set up the router to use it. Then everything on board is automatically online too.

When using the Mifis do you have to pay for a separate line to get another sim card? Or is there some tethering option from your cell?
I'm going to stop by our T-Mobile store after work and chat with them and see what they say but curious as I don't want them to start talking me into something I don't need.

In our case, we will only use this about 2 times a month so paying for another cell line would not be idea just to get a sim card for the mifi device.
Old 12-03-2019, 02:36 PM   #6
Site Team

We have totally separate accounts for the MiFis. We travel 4-months a year and find it better just to have accounts we pay for all the time.

We gave up Dish Network to stream TV at home. So, when we bought this RV we made a decision to NOT install a Dish and just stream our TV. So, we need special separate accounts for the MiFi's for streaming.

We joined www.rvmobileinternet.com and learned about what options were available for us to have constant, fast, unlimited, un-throttled internet. Luckily, our timing provided an opportunity to get accounts that are pretty much unavailable now. Timing, I guess. Or Luck.

We have an ATT Connected Car plan that was available 2 years ago and then discontinued. It came with a device called the Mobley. The product plugged into your car's ORBD port and the Connected Car plan provided totally unlimited internet for $22 a month. It's not limited at all. It's not throttled and it's high speed 100% of the time.

The Mobley device could be plugged into a power cord available on Amazon so you didn't have to plug it into your car's ORB port. Then you could use it in the RV just like a MiFi datacard. BUT, it turned out you could take the SIM card out of the Mobley and put it in a MiFi and still get all the features. That's what we have done. The Mobley SIM is in our Nighthawk. Totally unlimited for $22 a month.

For Verizon, we paid a Databroker hundreds of dollars to source an old grandfathered unlimited verizon plan for us. I guess (don't know) he worked with a Verizon employee to establish an old legacy plan that had been discontinued. We pay $34 a month for this plan and like the ATT plan is high speed, unlimited and not throttled. We put that SIM in the 730L Jetpack.

So, for $56 a month we have totally unlimited high speed internet on both ATT and Verizon. When on a trip we actually use between 300 and 400 gigs of service to watch all of our TV via streaming.

Yes, it costs us about $600 a year. But we also have all of our tablets and laptops online too. We want fast unlimited internet everywhere and so we pay for it.

Our phones are extra and cost a lot more. Sure we could tether with the phones but they are limited to 22gigs of on phone data and 15 gigs of tethered data. These are "unlimited" plans - but that's the lie of normal "unlimited" data. It's unlimited true, but the amount of usable high speed data is limited to the number above. We use that much in less than a week.

I can tell you right now - in general - the folks at the phone stores have ZERO clue about what works for folks in RVs or boats that want truly unlimited high speed internet. Their idea of unlimited is severely limited. They don't have a clue.

I always tell folks to pay the money to join www.rvmobileinternet.com. If I had not I could never have found the two accounts I have now.

The options I have cannot be purchased now. But Chris and Cherie of rvmobileinternet can and do lay out all of the details on what plans are currenly available, and they test and post real world results of cell boosters, RV routers, WiFi Boosters and various antenna choices. I've saved so much more than the membership costs that i gladly renew every year.
Old 12-03-2019, 03:12 PM   #7
Site Team

Currently, the best two really unlimited options are to pay a data plan reseller about $65 a month for unlimited ATT SIM cards without a contract. OR, pay about $40 a month for Verizon's "Visible" service and use a phone tethered to a router in your RV. If you move the sim for the Visible plan they'll close your account. But if you buy a dedicated phone just for tethering using Visible you can do pretty well.

Here's a link to one of the largest ATT Resellers:
https://www.otrmobile.com/

If you check iRV2 Forums you'll find an extensive how to for using Visible. Here's a link - it's long read most of it. I think it's post #10 that gives a step by step walk through.
$40/month unlimited internet....interested? - iRV2 Forums

And you can learn about data reserllers on www.rvmobileinternet.com YouTube Channel.

Resellers buy up corporate SIMs from businesses and resell the SIM and it's dataplan at a marked up amount. Say they pay $30 a month for the plan and they sell it to you for $65 a month. You pay them directly, the cell phone providers don't have any connection to you directly.

Millenicom is a similar reseller for Sprint and TMobile too. Here's a link:
https://www.millenicom.com/home/
Old 12-03-2019, 07:23 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Wow, lots to learn. I'll definitely be looking into http://www.rvmobileinternet.com/ for more guidance.

Really appreciate your feedback, it's tremendously helpful.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:50 PM   #9
Dives2Little

I'm using a Raven RV50 router with a Netgear Nighthawk 6400v.2. It is pricey ($600'ish + $200'ish for the Nighthawk) , but it is an industrial router and doesn't go down if you get signal. We are usig AT&T for service, whicb gives us 15 Gig/month for $70. The Nighthawk can provide wifi or cables
Dives2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:09 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Not to step on anyone's toes here, but keep in mind a signal booster is just that. It can boost the signal (if one is present). But it can only deliver the speed and bandwidth that the tower is broadcasting.

It may seem to boost speed too, but only because you get a more consistent signal without constantly having dropped signals, and reconnects.

My booster was a big help back in the 2006-2013 timeframe, but since then, not really needed, as the places with an ATT signal (98%) work well without it. The other 5% of places have no signal at all anyway.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:38 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I've changed gears and decided against the boost.

Instead I'm setting up a mobile router (nighthawk m1) with an external mimo directional antenna that I'm still waiting on parts for. The nighthawk is up and running so far though. If I can get the parts and build out the antenna by Thursday I'll be testing this all out in the Keys this weekend where I traditionally I do not have the strongest cell reception. Hopefully the antenna on a mast pointed at the tower will get me a strong enough signal to be able to work and stream TV.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:38 PM   #12
Site Team

I suggest you also pick up the Netgear MiMo antenna for under $30. Then when you get to a location you can test the small antenna in a window and if it isn't enough then go with the higher gain antenna on a pole. You might be very surprised.

https://www.amazon.com/Netgear-60004.../dp/B00DN3J03O
Old 12-10-2019, 01:57 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Ok, yeah I'll give it a try that would definitely be easier.

Any good resources for locating cell towers? I've downloaded OpenSignal and FindTower apps but find they are marginal at best or down right inaccurate. The reviews are terrible for both, but I can't find anything else.
Old 12-10-2019, 02:24 PM   #14
Site Team

I use OpenSignal. But mostly, trial and error.
Old 12-10-2019, 04:04 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
I can tell you right now - in general - the folks at the phone stores have ZERO clue about what works for folks in RVs or boats that want truly unlimited high speed internet. Their idea of unlimited is severely limited. They don't have a clue.

Yeah. I walked into a T-Mobile store with my Zoom router in hand, and asked for a data SIM and account for it, and there was consternation all around...
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 01:35 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Update:

Trip to Keys was a good test. I had my home-made directional mimo antenna and the Netgear window mounted mimo as well. The directional antenna set up was a bust. Without truly knowing where the cell tower was and not wanting to spend the day rotating the antenna to find it I ultimately set it towards where I thought it was and called it a day. What I found was the $30 Netgear window antenna was just as good since I'm sure I didn't have the directional dialed in. I've since returned the almost $300 worth of hard-ware and cables I had in that antenna and have replaced it with an omni-directional antenna that in tests at the house seems to be working good.

I was able to get 25-37Mps while in that park, which was good enough to do a bit of work and able to stream some HD quality TV programming. In the end I was happy with anything.

My issue though, was data consumption. I had enabled a cheap Mint mobile sim just to see if this all would work out, but it's 13GB got used up pretty fast between all the speed tests I was running and the data I used.

I'm now shopping around, trying to find an unlimited data plan that I'm willing to pay for. Since I'm not a full-time RVer this might get used 1 or 2 times a month if that. So I don't necessarily want to broker any old plan or pay big money. But when I need it I need it to data ready.

Right now I'm looking at TravelData for $50 a month on the ATT network unlimited, un-throttled. Anybody have any feed back on them? https://traveldata.page/

I also see several $35 per month Att plans on Ebay but I'm kind of Leary of those, but they do have good feedback so it's hard to say.
Old 12-23-2019, 03:34 PM   #17
Site Team

Be careful with the eBay resellers - those have proven to be hit and miss. Some are outright rip offs, while some have a habit of closing down unexpectedly and not refunding monies, etc.

I checked on www.rvmobileinternet.com and they have no info at all on TravelData. They do say that OTR Mobile has a decent reputation.

Others are:
Netbuddy
ATTHotspot

These resellers can be very fly by night. And, you get your service and support from the reseller not ATT proper.
Old 12-23-2019, 05:27 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I actually found out about TravelData from a link at the bottom on rvmobileinternet.com for AT&T resellser. The site for TravelData actually looks a little similar to the rvmobileinternet site to be honest. I wouldn't doubt if the owners decided to dip their toes into the re-sellers market.

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/gea...-rental-plans/
Old 12-23-2019, 05:30 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasttimes View Post
I wouldn't doubt if the owners decided to dip their toes into the re-sellers market.
Oh, no. They would not have done that. Lots of blog style sites look alike. But that would be totally uncharacteristic for Chris and Cherie.

Also, earlier this month folks asked for a recommendation on their forum and they said they had no info on the service:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-12-23 at 6.31.27 PM.png
Views:	121
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	172582  
Old 12-29-2019, 05:50 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

I decided to give one of the AT&T resellers on Ebay a try. It only cost $20 to get the plan from the seller and $35 a month to AT&T. The account I set up was in AT&T's network site looking like it's an iPad data plan. $35 a month supposedly unlimited hot-spot data. It does say that the account "could" be throttled down after 22GB, but that no one has reported seeing that happen.

But so far it's been a bust for me. I'm not getting anything higher than 7mbps testing here at home and I've driven around a bit to see if I was in perhaps a dead-zone for AT&T but it got no better. I'm still trying to figure out what the issue is here. The sim delivered is from a Net10 source, but I'm clearly on AT&T's network and set up with an account paying AT&T.

The wife and I switched to T-mobile on our personal plans a year ago because AT&T was not the best signal strength at the house so I wasn't surprised to see this at home, but when out near towers with full strength I saw no improvement.

We had company over for the holidays and one of them worked for AT&T. He was vaguely aware of the data plan we had but didn't think it was AT&T throttling down the account. When he tested his personal phone account here at the house he got the same low 7mbps connection.

So, right now I'm at a loss trying to figure out how AT&T could be so slow here in a metro area like Miami where there is a tower every few miles? I'd much rather be on a t-mobile network personally, it just seems faster but at $35 a month if I could get this package to work it would be a whole lot cheaper.