Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-16-2019, 11:06 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 19
New Guy question - can satellite tv be watched while coach is in motion?

I've read about in motion auto aim satellite antennas, but the ones I have seen state that for Directv, which is what we use at home, they are only standard def, not HD. Isn't standard def going away soon? Doesn't that make these antennas useless soon? Is there a HD version? I'd like my wife to be able to watch while I drive. Any ideas here, anyone willing to offer a brief education to a new guy? What's a typical install charge on one of these setups, assuming there is a good choice out there?



Thanks!
Doug427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 06:45 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise
 
SLOweather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 405
Switch to Dish, at least for the RV, and get a Wally, and an in-motion antenna like our Winegard RoadTrip T4.



As far as installation cost, I can't help you. I installed ours myself.


Even the DirecTV guys at Costco leave me alone as soon as I tell them we have Dish and a motorhome.
__________________
2014 Sunstar 31KE
1988 Suncruiser 31 RQ
1968 Travco 210
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:45 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 220
I use DirecTV on our Navion and the grandchildren watch stuff while we are driving. Yes it is not HD and there are HD ones available but at a premium. I figure it's camping LD is just fine for me.
Mike Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 10:20 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Owens View Post
I use DirecTV on our Navion and the grandchildren watch stuff while we are driving. Yes it is not HD and there are HD ones available but at a premium. I figure it's camping LD is just fine for me.

I'm with you on that, Mike. I'm not dead set on having HD. It would be nice but not necessary. My worry is limited programming content in SD vs. HD over time, and the possible eventual fading out of SD content as a whole, leaving us with the satellite TV version of Betamax players.



If I can ask a follow up question, here's something that confuses me. If I get the antenna that auto tracks the satellite allowing TV to be watched in the back while I drive, are we limited to watching any channel we want on a single satellite, meaning my wife can watch Channel 225 in the living room while my stepson can watch channel 226 in the bedroom, as long as they are on the same satellite? Or do all TV's need to watch the exact same channel?



While driving and while parked, is whatever the limitation is the same? Is this limitation the same regardless of whether we use Dish or Directv?


Thank you guys, I'm trying to learn as much as I can as quickly as possible.
Doug427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 11:28 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 220
Here is a pretty good article I found as a starting point for you. DIRECTV for RVs- What Are My Options? How Does Mobile Satellite TV Work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug427 View Post
I'm with you on that, Mike. I'm not dead set on having HD. It would be nice but not necessary. My worry is limited programming content in SD vs. HD over time, and the possible eventual fading out of SD content as a whole, leaving us with the satellite TV version of Betamax players.



If I can ask a follow up question, here's something that confuses me. If I get the antenna that auto tracks the satellite allowing TV to be watched in the back while I drive, are we limited to watching any channel we want on a single satellite, meaning my wife can watch Channel 225 in the living room while my stepson can watch channel 226 in the bedroom, as long as they are on the same satellite? Or do all TV's need to watch the exact same channel?

I have two receivers in our Navion and have not had a issue. However the satellite needs to have both channels unless you use a KVH with IP AutoSwitch. It's a option and I don't watch that much different then my wife so not needed in our case.


While driving and while parked, is whatever the limitation is the same? Is this limitation the same regardless of whether we use Dish or Directv?

Not sure

Thank you guys, I'm trying to learn as much as I can as quickly as possible.
Mike Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 09:41 PM   #6
Just Ama
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Casa Grande, Arizona
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug427 View Post
I'm with you on that, Mike. I'm not dead set on having HD. It would be nice but not necessary. My worry is limited programming content in SD vs. HD over time, and the possible eventual fading out of SD content as a whole, leaving us with the satellite TV version of Betamax players.



If I can ask a follow up question, here's something that confuses me. If I get the antenna that auto tracks the satellite allowing TV to be watched in the back while I drive, are we limited to watching any channel we want on a single satellite, meaning my wife can watch Channel 225 in the living room while my stepson can watch channel 226 in the bedroom, as long as they are on the same satellite? Or do all TV's need to watch the exact same channel?



While driving and while parked, is whatever the limitation is the same? Is this limitation the same regardless of whether we use Dish or Directv?


Thank you guys, I'm trying to learn as much as I can as quickly as possible.
We have DirecTV in our RV. We have used DirecTV in all of our RV's(on number 6 now) If you have two receivers, you can watch different programs in different areas of your RV, in motion or parked. Hope that helps answer one of your questions. We have HD sat at home, and Standard Def in the RV's. We cannot get our Smithsonian Channel in the RV, but like Mike Owens said... we're camping and we can watch what we DVR'd when we get back home. We have DVR receivers in the RV too. I DVR Fox and hubby DVR's Gunsmoke.. LOL!
__________________
Doug and Jayne
Otherwise known as "Ama" and "Papa"
To two little grandsons
AzLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 09:13 AM   #7
Winnebago Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Pflugerville/Austin, Tx
Posts: 1,101
To make it a bit less of a trip, perhaps some plain old talk about the issue?
No high tech talk gets it easy to understand at times.
One is the antenna or dish. It takes in the whole signal that comes from the air, sends it to as many receivers as you connect, where they sort out which portion of that signal to use. Same as on FM radio as the full range of stations is there but we choose which we hear? HD or SD? Depends on how good the receiver and dish but somewhat like using a stereo receiver vs not. Most equipment will get the HD signal but it may or may not pass all the info through to the TV. Backward compatible is like cell phones which do 4G but will also do 3G if that is all there is in the area.
Now you can move on to the hard part!
Be aware that Dish may indicate they can do several things like voice remote, take you home programming with you, etc. and you find it may not work like they lead you to believe.
Dish voice remote only works IF you have full time wi-fi and that's pretty weird in RVs. Take your programming with you but you have to buy an added hard drive to record.
Just be aware that they are selling and make sure to get details of what it REALLY means.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 11:20 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
To make it a bit less of a trip, perhaps some plain old talk about the issue?
No high tech talk gets it easy to understand at times.
One is the antenna or dish. It takes in the whole signal that comes from the air, sends it to as many receivers as you connect, where they sort out which portion of that signal to use. Same as on FM radio as the full range of stations is there but we choose which we hear? HD or SD? Depends on how good the receiver and dish but somewhat like using a stereo receiver vs not. Most equipment will get the HD signal but it may or may not pass all the info through to the TV. Backward compatible is like cell phones which do 4G but will also do 3G if that is all there is in the area.
Now you can move on to the hard part!
Be aware that Dish may indicate they can do several things like voice remote, take you home programming with you, etc. and you find it may not work like they lead you to believe.
Dish voice remote only works IF you have full time wi-fi and that's pretty weird in RVs. Take your programming with you but you have to buy an added hard drive to record.
Just be aware that they are selling and make sure to get details of what it REALLY means.
Great info, thanks.
Doug427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
satellite


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New guy tire question WinnieStick Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires 7 06-30-2018 05:38 PM
DVD coach in motion interlock hfbundy Tech | Toys and Gear 17 01-11-2016 05:53 PM
Another NO Sound from Front TV while on Satellite...please help! JoneseR Tech | Toys and Gear 11 02-12-2013 08:44 AM
Can you start coach to re-level while on shore power? Jewelsinmo General Maintenance and Repair 18 03-15-2012 07:51 AM
In motion satellite Ron and Patti Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics 15 10-08-2006 09:29 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Winnebago Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×