Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2005, 10:48 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

While exploring for a 35U, have run across a nice 2001 37G priced right. Before we go look at it, looking for feedback related to how it handles, etc. It's on the WH chassis with 19.5" wheels. I had convinced myself that 35' was max for best handling/drivability in a gasser, but would consider the 37'. Wife loves the floorplan and the extra space is always nice. It has one slide.

Does anyone know the wheelbase of that model?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 10:48 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

While exploring for a 35U, have run across a nice 2001 37G priced right. Before we go look at it, looking for feedback related to how it handles, etc. It's on the WH chassis with 19.5" wheels. I had convinced myself that 35' was max for best handling/drivability in a gasser, but would consider the 37'. Wife loves the floorplan and the extra space is always nice. It has one slide.

Does anyone know the wheelbase of that model?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:03 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Weigh the coach and check its cargo carrying capacity. Some of the gas rigs could only carry 500 pounds without being overweight. Too much coach, too little chassis.

I hardly have a few t-shirts, a dutch oven and a few cans of beans and I am carrying #2000 pounds. Of course my rig can carry #5000.

This slim margin leads to overloading, which leads to tire failure and a bad rap for all class A coaches.

Walt
Old 01-12-2005, 12:26 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Well I just bought a 2000 37G and have one trip on it. I am new to the MH world but I love it. I think I have the WH chassis with 19.5" wheels. I also tow a 14' trailer with several sand toys. It drives and handles great, I have friends that have same length coaches, Not Winnebago, and after driving mine are a little jealous. Also Winnebago's web site has all the information on the 2001 if you click on prior year info. Good Luck.
Ruffnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 01:20 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

How many slides does it have? As already indicated big gas rigs have limited CCC and towing in some cases. Slides add alot of weight. Just check every thing out. GCW etc. You don't want a coach that won't let you carry fresh water, gray water etc. Also big rigs push a gas motor to its limits I don't care what it is 8.1 or V-10.

tmcgeesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 03:24 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

We have a 1999 Adventurer 37G on the Ford Chassis. I usually pull either a Jeep Liberty or Ford Ranger. I am completely satisfied with the coach. My wife also enjoys the floorplan so much she has not see anything else that compares.
Now to get hammered by the weight police. I have not had my coach weighted. We keep it stocked at all times with food & clothing.
I carry what items I want with me. I check my tire pressure regularly.
My opinion is that we all get caught up in the CCC or gas mileage or power. The only modification on my unit is a K&N air filter.
I believe the Ford wheelbase is 248, but I am not 100 percent sure. The unit handles well and I have no complaints. You are right the extra room does make a difference.
dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 04:41 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Dawg:

I'm close to you....Smith Mountain Lake in Huddleston. According to the owner, the coach has the Workhorse W20 chassis. Winne literature shows that GVWR at 20,500. Their on-lines specs. show a 248" wheelbase for a Ford chassis but nothing for the WH, though it lists the WH as an option for the 2001 37G.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:00 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Now to get hammered by the weight police. I have not had my coach weighted. We keep it stocked at all times with food & clothing.
I carry what items I want with me. I check my tire pressure regularly.
My opinion is that we all get caught up in the CCC or gas mileage or power. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Having lousy mileage won't kill you. Having a tire overloaded can cause premature failure that can kill you and others. It is not the weight police to worry about. It is the coroner. If you don't know what your coach weighs, how do you know how much air the tires need?