Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-09-2019, 03:11 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

WeBoost antenna installation

I am installing a WeBoost 4GX-RV; has anyone experience in where/how to install the exterior antenna? I’d rather not fish it through the edge of the slider on my 24D, and I don’t particularly like the idea of putting it on the rear ladder as it seems likely to get in the way of using the ladder. Seems I need to cut a hole somewhere and attach it to the roof somehow (which I imagine will involve dicor / eternabond tape).
jcurtisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 04:01 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcurtisis View Post
I am installing a WeBoost 4GX-RV; has anyone experience in where/how to install the exterior antenna? I’d rather not fish it through the edge of the slider on my 24D, and I don’t particularly like the idea of putting it on the rear ladder as it seems likely to get in the way of using the ladder. Seems I need to cut a hole somewhere and attach it to the roof somehow (which I imagine will involve dicor / eternabond tape).

The previous owner had installed a Sirius antenna so I knew I could go up through the roof. I located the cabinet that it was above and was able to disassemble the cabinet ceiling to gain access to the firberglass cap and could see where to drill.

My Weboost came with the small 5" magnetic antenna so I went to the big box store and bought a 12X18 piece of steel (thin), a can of white Rustoleum appliance paint and some 2-part epoxy. I already had some Dicor lap sealant.

Painted the metal with a couple coats of the appliance paint on one side then 2-part epoxied that to the roof and sealed with Dicor (Eternabond would have done probably in replacement of the Dicor and 2-part epoxy).

Drilled my hole next to the existing hole in the ceiling and ran the wire through then sealed up with Dicor. I have all of my internet accessories in the cabinet on the other side of the RV so that I get some separation of the 2 antennas.

Most people are gunshy about adding holes to the top of the RV but this one has been fine from day 1. I've not had to do anything with the setup in 2 years other than flip the switch to turn on the booster when needed.
Old 04-09-2019, 04:32 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

So, in which cabinet do you have the booster, and whereabouts on the roof is the antenna. Sounds to me like you have a hole above the cabinet but run the antenna cable along the roof (yes?)
Old 04-09-2019, 04:50 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcurtisis View Post
So, in which cabinet do you have the booster, and whereabouts on the roof is the antenna. Sounds to me like you have a hole above the cabinet but run the antenna cable along the roof (yes?)
I have the antenna over the drivers side upper cabinet with the hole about 5 inches from the plate I mounted. The Weboost in the cabinet above the passenger seat. Yes, the antenna wire follows the roof over to the passenger side but is inside the RV as it moves over there.
I ran it there because that is where I already have a 12V adapter built in. I was able to find a router that operates on 12V (Pepwave Surf on the go) and have my AT&T Mobley, Router and Weboost all attached to the 12V system so they’re “always on” when I want them to be.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:37 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Ah so...you have a Vista. I have a Navion(View), so the arrangement is all different.
When you drilled your hole in the roof, did you use any type of cover over the hole or did you just use a blob of dicor?
Old 04-10-2019, 11:17 AM   #6
Site Team

Blob. I guess I could go back and use some Eternabond over it but I wanted to be able to move the wire easier if I ever needed to do so.

Tags
antenna, install