Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-25-2018, 02:51 PM   #1
4gone

Minnie Winnie 31G Water in Compartment

I have a 2018 Minnie Winnie 31g. I have had an issue with water accumulating in one of the storage compartments. It is the driver's side in front of the rear wheels. Another 31g owner contacted me with the same issue, however I am not sure if it's the same compartment. I can't find anything obvious to see where it's originating from. There was also moisture at the top of the compartment as if it was raining down condensation. It happened in both hot and cold weather so I suspect the water that's getting in is causing the condensation problem. Has anyone else with a similar Minnie Winnie have and issue like this and were you able to track it down?
4gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 03:58 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

It was me that had the same issue - same compartment. It only happens when driving in wet conditions where the basement accumulates water.
Strongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 07:12 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Just tossing this out: Is that the compartment containing the power cord? That compartment in my MW 27Q is nearer the left front wheel and definitely in the "splash zone". It has a round screw in cap about 5" in diameter in the floor of the compartment that allows the cord to pulled out from the bottom while leaving the door closed. I discovered the cap had a groove for a large "O"-ring which was missing. I found a 4" rubber O-ring that fit the cap just right and seemed to seal perfectly. Unfortunately I didn't have an opportunity to drive on wet roads before she went into winter storage, so I don't know yet if it actually worked to stop a potential leak.
Old 10-25-2018, 07:34 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

It is not the compartment with the electric. It is the one next to it.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:14 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Same model same problem on a 2017

Stuck my head in the compartment after coming home during hard rain. Saw water dripping down from where the box attaches to the underside of the slide. I think it is coming through there as in there is no sealant. Its at the dealer right now getting looked at for that and other problems. Hope you have had better luck with yours then I have. 6 trips this last year that I have owned it, and 6 trips back to the dealer for warranty service. Very frustrating........
Mike Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 05:31 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Sorry to hear you've had so many problems. I've been very fortunate. So far I've had no real issues except for this minor leak and an issue with sticky vents that cracked. She's been the best RV we've ever owned - very happy. Would love to hear of some of your issues. It might help me keep an eye out for certain things. Thanks.
Old 04-29-2020, 05:17 PM   #7
2018 Minnie Winnie 31G

4gone, Did this issue ever get resolved? I have the same issue in the same cubby which Strongbow mentioned. I've also had the same experience with my Minnie Winnie as Mike Bailey but that's for another day...
I use the cabinet in question for my sewer stuff since there's no other good place and my hose doesn't fit in the bumper because of a mounting bracket the interferes. I keep a box of gloves in there which are now soaked and moldy and irreplaceable because of, you know, Corona. I'd love to get that bin/cubby sealed up so I can keep using it. Suggestions? Why is this the only bin with such a water issue?
Thumbski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 05:47 PM   #8
4gone

I THINK that I fixed it. After further investigation I found in the upper rear corner of the compartment I could see daylight. Just a small rectangle. I bought some black RTV sealer and Flex seal. I caulked the inside corners all the way around and really squeezed some into the corners. I then Flex Sealed the entire inside. I also had paint flaking off the outside rear of the same compartment. I cleaned it up, put rust converting primer over the spots. I then put Flex Seal on the outside with special attention at any seams, then painted the whole outside to cover the Flex Seal. So far it seems good. I am also hoping the Flex Seal "cushions" any stone chips.
Old 04-29-2020, 06:28 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I think I have mine fixed as well. With all of this Corona downtime I messed with it a couple of weeks ago. I pretty much did the same thing. I originally was going to just spray the whole inside with flex seal. Instead I used black caulk all around the edges and corners. Fortunately I do not have any rust issues like 4gone. Have you had any other issues specific to this model?
Old 04-30-2020, 09:20 AM   #10
2018 Minnie Winnie 31G

Thank you both for your replies. I hear you can make a boat float with Flex Seal so maybe that's the way to go! Definitely a quarantine project for the coming weeks.
Regarding other problems, I wouldn't say due to this model specific but general issues that I've chalked up to 1. My unit sitting idle on the lot between the time of manufacturing and final sale, 2. General build quality/craftsmanship of Winnebago and it's sub-suppliers and 3. The knowledge and skill of the dealership service department.
That said, some issues I had from day 1: there was a ~3ft length of seal missing on the roof between the roof and edge/corner molding, generator carburetor needed to be replaced, water heater was replaced (after >1 year of complaining). Some other issues that developed over time and took several trips to the dealer to get all corrected: side mirror cameras took on water and needed to be replaced, several trim screws around window frames broke off and some on floor trim at the step up to the back were broke and missing, automatic leveling jacks would stop before touching the ground so were reading false pressure/resistance, USB outlet by rear bed came loose, table leg shoe popped off. Some items I was told "it's just how it is": gap between awning and side of unit not fully sealed allowing rain to drip down, headliner in cab is not seated all the way up against the windshield in the middle (it is on the sides and on other units on the lot...), ripples in fiberglass on the slide out at a couple locations.
Sorry really off topic for this thread but you asked! It's unfortunate but I really thought I was buying a higher end product being Winnebago brand but I've been far from satisfied. From the dealer telling me things were fixed and having to go back, to Winnebago telling me I had to contact their sub-suppliers (HWH, Suburban, Cummins), to contacting those sub-suppliers only to be told they have direct lines for dealer service to call and they had no record of my rig... I'm not impressed. I guess I'm glad now that it's out of warranty and I can fix things on my own.
Old 04-30-2020, 10:01 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4gone View Post
I THINK that I fixed it.
Or maybe all of your sealing just kept the waste leak out of the compartment. Where is it going now? If it is just leaking to the ground, well ok. But it could also be leaking somewhere else waiting to raise its ugly head.

The leak was black water and you haven't found the source and fixed it, right?

I appreciate that the ultimate fix will be expensive and messy: dropping the waste tank and inspecting all joints, fixing any leaking joint and sealing up all of them from the outside if you can't find the culprit.

Maybe sealing the compartment is an acceptable fix given the alternative.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 11:22 AM   #12
2018 Minnie Winnie 31G

Hey David, I don't want to speak on behalf of 4gone but I do not think there is any actual waste leaking into that compartment. I stated that I use the compartment to store my waste tube, adapters, gloves, etc... because there's no other good place. What's leaking into that compartment just appears to be coming from the road surface while driving during rain. I haven't dug into it as much as others but it appears to simply be a poor design or bad sealing of that particular compartment by Winnebago... which doesn't surprise me given my previous list of issues.
Old 04-30-2020, 11:34 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I could be wrong but I don't think any of us had issues with black water or anything related to sewer. It was outside road water coming thru one of the basement boxes.
Old 04-30-2020, 11:44 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Sorry DavidM for your issues. I guess I've been fairly lucky. I have to say this has been my best experience with an RV. I have certainly have had issues, but sounds like minimal compared to your experiences. The only other thing I am dealing with now is a wobbly toilet. Turns out one of the mounts was installed wrong, and ended up breaking. Not worth taking back to the dealer. Less frustrating trying to fix it myself. The other issue is with my slide. It makes a god awful torqueing sound when I accelerate or come to a stop. It's as if the whole slide is shifting. Dealer says there is nothing wrong, and nothing I can do. They say it's a product of having a full side slide. I am certain it was not like that when I bought her new. I have not come up with the reason it is happening, and have been unable to fix. Curious to see if any others have had this issue. Thanks for sharing your experiences. It's always helpful hearing from others with a 31G.

Tags
water