Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-22-2013, 03:17 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwit View Post
Not sure if he did or not. How does one check the BIRD? Is that the charger portion of my inverter/charger? I know the inverter is working.
There isn't a BIRD on the 2006 Tour, although the older Ultimates had them. There is a solenoid that connects the chassis and house batteries together when the engine is running (or when the battery boost switch is depressed). A 2006 Tour should also have as standard equipment a Trik-L-Start which will charge the chassis batteries whenever the house batteries are being charged.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:28 AM   #22
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
There isn't a BIRD on the 2006 Tour, although the older Ultimates had them. There is a solenoid that connects the chassis and house batteries together when the engine is running (or when the battery boost switch is depressed). A 2006 Tour should also have as standard equipment a Trik-L-Start which will charge the chassis batteries whenever the house batteries are being charged.
I am sorry to disagree. This wiring diagram is the same as on my '05 Vectra: http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_155456.pdf

If I recall correctly, the Aux Start Relay is the BIRD. I had to replace mine because it was not charging the house batteries when I was on the road.

Here is a way that should work to test the relay. I have not done this but it makes sense.

First, discharge the house batteries down to around 12V.
Next, start the engine and set it to fast idle.
Measure the voltage of the house batteries. It should be 13.4V or higher when the coach start battery is fully charged.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:56 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
I am sorry to disagree. This wiring diagram is the same as on my '05 Vectra: http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_155456.pdf

If I recall correctly, the Aux Start Relay is the BIRD. I had to replace mine because it was not charging the house batteries when I was on the road.

Here is a way that should work to test the relay. I have not done this but it makes sense.

First, discharge the house batteries down to around 12V.
Next, start the engine and set it to fast idle.
Measure the voltage of the house batteries. It should be 13.4V or higher when the coach start battery is fully charged.
The BIRD (Bi-Directional Isolator Relay Delay) is a specific product which was used in some previous models (including the Ultimates), but is replaced by the Aux Start Relay in subsequent coaches. I'm not sure what current model coaches are using.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:23 AM   #24
Winnebago Master

Chris, I was told by Winnebago when mine failed that they are the same. You may be correct. All I know is that the relay I replaced does exactly as you describe. Bi-Directional Isolator Relay Delay. It senses the low voltage with the coil leads and puts the alternator output to that battery and isolates the two strings. A rose by any other name... When I questioned the shop I bought the relay from they said they were the same. It is a 100% duty differential relay.

I am not trying to be argumentative. I am simply trying to prevent confusion. Call it what you may. The functions are identical. The circuit wiring may vary. Or, the Winnebago engineers simply did not use the B.I.R.D name.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:09 AM   #25
Winnebago Master

Hi Rick. Looking at page 3 of the Chassis Wiring Installation for your 2011 Meridian it does look like Winnebago has changed from the simple solenoid used in my coach and the 2006 Tour (see page three of its Chassis Wiring Installation) to a SOLENOID-BATTERY ISOLATION MGR which sounds like your BIRD.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:21 AM   #26
Winnebago Master

Thanks Chris. I see that the '06 40KD is using the Trik-L-Start, found to be a good replacement for the BIRD by many RVers. I don't know why they dropped it in the '11 40U. So, the Trik-L-Start could still be in question and should be tested in my opinion. Jeff has put a lot of work into resolving his problems. Might just as well cover all basis. For his sake I hope he is at the end of his trials and can hit the road again with confidence about the electrical at least.

Tags
power