Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2013, 06:00 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

2003 Adventurer 35U TV Upgrade--finished!

About three weeks ago, I finished my TV upgrade project in our new to us 2003 Winnebago Adventurer 35U. Please excuse the jacket on the sofa and the co-pilots seat in the pictures. I have the bad habit of not hanging up my jackets.

It went from this:

Above was taken at our storage area at night right after taking delivery.

To this (taken from the recliner):

I'm really happy with how it turned out. It took three tries with the black plexiglass frame to get it right, but I think it's worth it.

The TV articulates out of the frame, too.

Scott
Old 04-19-2013, 06:39 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Very nice! We have a similar setup in our '01 32' adventurer. Are there any other photos on how you did it?
Old 04-19-2013, 06:41 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Nice clean looking upgrade. I'm sure you will enjoy!
HabitatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:54 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Thanks!

Here are some pictures of the mount:

Inside the cabinet will be home to a Dish Network Hopper. I have moved the power strip to the right side of the cabinet so the Hopper will fit better. The Hopper will be in the stick house when not in the motor home.

Here's a test fit of the TV:

Side panel of the frame:

Underside:

When you pull on the ring, you release the locking mechanism and can then extend the TV, slant it, or other wise move it around.

As you might be able to see, the frame is constructed from five 1/4" pieces of black plexiglass. What you can't see: The uprights and top/front panel are glued together and supported by 1/8" thick black plexiglass that overlaps the joint between the front, top, and upright panels. The side panels are glued to the front, upright and bottom panels. It is all glued together and is very sturdy. It is held to the cabinetry on the top panel and uprights by Scotch Heavy Duty Dual Lock fasteners (The same stuff used to hold the Inverter in place). The front panel is held to the original TV mount with industrial strength Velcro (actual hook and loop). The side panels are held to the back side of the white original TV shroud with the same industrial strength Velcro. The frame does not move around in any axis, nor does it rattle.

It was fun, but man, what a learning experience. Working with plexiglass is fun, though. Oh, yeah; I glued stuff together using the capillary method--that method is easy but if you get too much of the glue on the joint, it can ruin the outside surface of the plexiglass--that happened the second try.

How do you like your Adventurer? I have only driven ours 73 miles since getting in January, but tomorrow, it goes to the shop to get a BlueOx TruCenter installed, oil change, and just general maintenance.

First weekend in May, we're going to a local campground with full hookups so we can make all the first-timer mistakes locally as well as de-winterize, sanitize the fresh water system, and see what we forgot!

Scott
Old 04-20-2013, 03:21 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Great looking install. Thanks for sharing/explaining. I had an 01 35u Chieftain. You're gonna love that MH. We went to 49 States and 10 Canadian Provinces. 62,000 miles.
Enjoy.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:50 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Thank you, Cliff! I doubt I'll be doing your kind of traveling anytime soon, but I sure do look forward my trips this spring and summer.

It was great driving it to the shop this morning, so hopefully later today, I'll get to feel what a TruCenter does for the motor home.

Oh... the rear TV was upgraded to a flat screen TV, as well. That was a somewhat easier installation, though.

Scott
Old 04-20-2013, 11:35 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkonu23 View Post
Thanks!
First weekend in May, we're going to a local campground with full hookups so we can make all the first-timer mistakes locally as well as de-winterize, sanitize the fresh water system, and see what we forgot!

Scott
Unless you never intend to boondock/dry camp, I would recommend that you spend time locally NOT hooked up so that you can test your systems thoroughly. You will exercize the water pump and your 12 volt systems. There might be surprises.

Nice job on the TV, I haven't done mine yet. What is hanging below the TV?
Old 04-20-2013, 02:53 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

We love our adventurer. My only regret is that we didn't get a heavier chassis. We have a P32. But the Winnebago is a great coach. We don't use our TV much. We dry camp a lot but I would like to swap out the bug tube monster!
Old 04-20-2013, 04:02 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceh View Post
Unless you never intend to boondock/dry camp, I would recommend that you spend time locally NOT hooked up so that you can test your systems thoroughly. You will exercize the water pump and your 12 volt systems. There might be surprises.

Nice job on the TV, I haven't done mine yet. What is hanging below the TV?
That's the beauty of going to a place with full hookups, as least I think so... you can switch from no hookup to full hookup. Other than the water pump, I'm quite confident the 12volt systems work great. When I was installing the TV's it was in the dead of winter. I ran the propane heat, had lights on, etc. I wasn't able to test the water pump because everything was winterized so that's a goal when we de-winterize and sanitize at the campground in three weeks.

What's hanging down is a speaker to the rear and the ring is what is pulled on to release the latch on the TV mount so the TV can be extended, tilted, etc.

Some bad news today from the shop. Even though the TruCenter installation went without a hitch, we need six new tires. I've verified the weather checking on the sidewalls, so that needs to happen soon, but I'm lost as to what tires to get as my wife does not want to repurchase Michelin's. I'll start a new thread on that.

Scott
Old 04-20-2013, 04:04 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwj212 View Post
We love our adventurer. My only regret is that we didn't get a heavier chassis. We have a P32. But the Winnebago is a great coach. We don't use our TV much. We dry camp a lot but I would like to swap out the bug tube monster!
Swapping out the TV isn't that hard, what is difficult is deciding what you want to do aesthetically. I didn't want to go with a wood frame, so my only choice was really plexiglass. If you need any advice once you decide on a TV, etc., let me know. I'll do my best to help you.

Scott
Old 04-21-2013, 10:00 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Nice job Scott. I have a similar swing out and tilt mount, but need to revisit the install to replace the old plastic trim. Be preparedfor a few head bonks on the sharp corners when reaching in to do your windshield curtains.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:50 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
Nice job Scott. I have a similar swing out and tilt mount, but need to revisit the install to replace the old plastic trim. Be preparedfor a few head bonks on the sharp corners when reaching in to do your windshield curtains.
LOL! Thanks, Ole! I have sanded the corners a bit to round out things, but the other day I did bonk my head when my foot slipped. No injury.

That said, I'm really impressed with the Heavy Duty Dual Lock fasteners (I use them on some of my RC helicopters to hold Lithium Polymer batteries in place (with a strap, too). I drove the motor home back from the shop Saturday over some really washboard like bumps and it held firm. Looks like the frame mounting is a winner!

Scott

PS Ole... we're in Hartland.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:41 AM   #13

What about the wires?

We also need to replace ours, finding the connections are too outdated. We pulled the VCR out to replace with a DVD player. What's installed only has coax and the DVD only has HDMI connections.

Wondering about the box that connects everything. It's not in front of me so I'm not sure what it's called. But I know the wires from the TV connect to the box and the VCR/DVD also go into it. And there are buttons to switch to the TV in the bedroom. So anyway, does anything need to happen to this box and the wiring attached to it?

We just purchased our 2001 Adventurer. Have our first adventure booked for two weeks from now. So at this point, we remain fairly clueless

Thanks for any help.
BonnieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:27 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

To add your DVD to the Video Switch you will need an RF Modulator. You will need a DVD player with composite and audio output. They are the yellow, red, white RCA phono jacks. Every thing is done with RF channel 3 or 4 through the Video Switch.

RF Modulators at Walmart
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:43 PM   #15

Wait, so we don't HAVE to update the TV? This is GREAT!! Thank you so much. We can put a new TV on the list of things to do later.

BonnieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 04:40 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieT View Post
Wait, so we don't HAVE to update the TV? This is GREAT!! Thank you so much. We can put a new TV on the list of things to do later.

If you have a Winnebago coach, when you decide to upgrade the TV, download the wiring diagram here:

Manuals & Diagrams (Click on the appropriate link once at the site.) All signal cables are color coded. In my coach, color codes matched perfectly to the wiring diagram.

In both my configurations--tripod dish and Winegard Trav'ler--I was able to make use of existing internal wiring for each (with the exception of external signal cables). The biggest headache in my coach was removing the bracket holding the video selector switch.

I do not run a DVD or BluRay player at this time, but if I did, I would likely have two--one for the front and one for the rear TV. That way, I would not need to get an HDMI switching system, IR repeaters, run HDMI cables, and whatever else is needed to run an HDMI system through the coach. Such a setup would simply use another HDMI input on the TV and would be much simpler. Of course, this does not take into account outside TV use, but I really doubt I would ever need to watch a DVD outside. If I did need to watch a DVD outside, the RF modulator and composite video system in a previous post would be my ticket as existing coax could be used from the selector switch to the outside TV.

I'm lazy, I don't like running cables through a car, let alone a motorhome!

Scott
Old 07-09-2014, 08:16 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:

If you don't update the TV, you will also need a digital converter

Top Five Digital Converters

WIT Service Tip Digital Television Part 1

WIT Service Tip Digital Television Part 2

With the digital converter and an RF Modulator for DVD you certainly don't need to change TVs.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:07 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
We also need to replace ours, finding the connections are too outdated. We pulled the VCR out to replace with a DVD player. What's installed only has coax and the DVD only has HDMI connections.

Wondering about the box that connects everything. It's not in front of me so I'm not sure what it's called. But I know the wires from the TV connect to the box and the VCR/DVD also go into it. And there are buttons to switch to the TV in the bedroom. So anyway, does anything need to happen to this box and the wiring attached to it?

We just purchased our 2001 Adventurer. Have our first adventure booked for two weeks from now. So at this point, we remain fairly clueless

Thanks for any help.
Forget running the DVD player through the coax switch. Just run an HDMI cable from the DVD player to an HDMI input on your front TV and reuse the the old tv coax for your antenna, dish or cable input. That way your player will "talk" to your new tv. If you want the player to go to the rear tv also then go with the converter, but be prepared to loose HD quality and the tv to player feature gained by using the two way HDMI cable.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:53 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

I also replaced my tube tv in our 96 Adventurer w/ a flat panel LG lcd. I also used the swing arm like yours but I installed mine 90 degrees to what yours is. Instead of unlatching and swinging out , mine swings down. I found this helps with neck strain from "looking up" to watch movies etc. If it's a short stay or a short tv view I leave it up. I re-used the arm/bracket that held the old tv in place as a "strap" loop over the hinged swing arm and thats what holds it in place.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:34 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
Forget running the DVD player through the coax switch. Just run an HDMI cable from the DVD player to an HDMI input on your front TV and reuse the the old tv coax for your antenna, dish or cable input. That way your player will "talk" to your new tv. If you want the player to go to the rear tv also then go with the converter, but be prepared to loose HD quality and the tv to player feature gained by using the two way HDMI cable.
BonnieT doesn't have a TV with HDMI