Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-13-2014, 08:04 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Help at campground - rear slide won't move. 2003 Journey

Hi, I went to put out the bedroom slide and it stopped halfway. The coach has been sitting a while not in use. Does the slide work on the house or engine batteries? Both are a little low. I've never had a problem before so I wondered if low voltage is the issue. I just plugged it on 30 amps.

Thanks Ben
Old 07-13-2014, 08:23 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelm130 View Post
Hi, I went to put out the bedroom slide and it stopped halfway. The coach has been sitting a while not in use. Does the slide work on the house or engine batteries? Both are a little low. I've never had a problem before so I wondered if low voltage is the issue. I just plugged it on 30 amps.

Thanks Ben
yes if batterys low slide will not run.I always either leave plugged in till slide are in /out or leave engine running
racersedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:36 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

thanks you are right! I pushed the aux battery connect button and it worked. I then found the same answer in the manual ugh! try reading first right lol! coming from an IT background it is our nature to read manuals when all else fails. manuals? we don't need no stinking manuals :-) I can see on a motorhome it might be better to read first.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:45 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Plugging in will not charge your starting batteries in a 2003 Journey, only your coach batteries. Unless you or a previous owner has installed a "Trik-L-Start". Then BOTH sets of batteries will charge when plugged in to AC.

Your slides operate off your starting batteries. Start your engine and you'll be able to operate your slides. Winnebago and HWH recommends running the engine while operating the HWH hydraulic pump. The pump draws a lot of amps. You'll have to have the parking brake on to operate the slides and jacks with the engine running.

-Tom, W3TLN
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 12:50 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the information Tom! I have a Trik-L-Start but just haven't found time to put it on but its on my list I don't have a very good spot to work on stuff is my main problem.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:59 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Ben ...

I installed a trickle-start a couple of years ago ... run, don't walk ... and get that installed ... it will save you untold grief ...

The most time consuming part of the installation is removing (and replacing) all the screws from around the cover. A power screwdriver makes the job a snap ... less than 30 minutes ... and I generally have more thumbs than fingers when I tackle a job like this ... but this is really easy

skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 02:27 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Skigramp is spot on. I ignored this advice and lived to regret. Had one installed and I don't have to worry about the start batteries at all.

Nick
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 02:42 PM   #8

never seen a unit where slides run off start battery.? Why would it be wired this way?not saying it cant be but say it should not be.BUT like I said leave unit running while running slides and it makes thing work much better
racersedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 02:47 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Not sure about other rigs, but on my '01 Journey the slides run off the start batts. Not really an issue is you have the trickle charger. I usually extend and retract my slides with the engine running.

Nick
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 04:59 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by racersedge View Post
never seen a unit where slides run off start battery.? Why would it be wired this way?not saying it cant be but say it should not be.BUT like I said leave unit running while running slides and it makes thing work much better
Winnebago wires the slides and jacks to the chassis/starting battery.

Because, if you deplete your coach/house batteries, which can easily be done, you'll still be able to bring up the jacks, put in the slides and drive home.

-Tom, W3TLN
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground, journey, slide