Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2010, 06:37 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

EMS?

I have a 2009 Winnebago Tour WD. The day after a very strong storm I tried to dry a wet portion of my carpet. I started genset and turned on heat pump, portable heater and hair dryer in an attempt to partially dry the carpet. After about ten minutes of running these high draw appliances the genset breaker tripped. Maybe I don't thoroughly understand the principle behind the EMS in my coach, I was under the impression that it was designed to cut power to one or more appliances in order to avoid tripping breaker. I am sure there are many of you out there that can clarify this for me. Thanks for your help.

Ranger Rick
2009 Tour WD
2010 Chevy Equinox
Ranger Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 06:59 PM   #2
a k

I believe the EMS is supposed to limit power when you are hooked to shore power. Mine you have to set it for 50 -30-or 20amp and it will shed or limit what will start.
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:07 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

In my Tour, the 'appliance lights' on the EMS are only lit when I'm hooked to shore power. If the genset is running, all those lights are out which implied to me that the genset could run everything in the coach.

I found the best way to dry carpet in my coach is with a wet/dry vac. That was after I told my son to fill the water tanks and he hooked up the hose to the black water rinse instead. Make a note that when the black water tank is full, it WILL overflow the toilet, drain through the back bedroom and then out of the back of the coach. At that point, your neighbor will come by and ask why your motorhome is leaking...
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:10 PM   #4
a k

Portable heater and hair drier alone probably draws 3000 watts. How big of a generator have you?
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:26 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

The EMS does shed some appliance loads (2nd compressor, water heater, ac fan speed, refer), but the EMS doesn't see all the high draw stuff YOU connect to outlets, perhaps even on the same circuit. What protects you from yourself then is a circuit breaker tripping when it overheats, either at the house panel or at the power source. Your system cried uncle as it was designed to do.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:37 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
The EMS does shed some appliance loads (2nd compressor, water heater, ac fan speed, refer), but the EMS doesn't see all the high draw stuff YOU connect to outlets, perhaps even on the same circuit. What protects you from yourself then is a circuit breaker tripping when it overheats, either at the house panel or at the power source. Your system cried uncle as it was designed to do.
Thanks to all for your replies. Looks as if my system is working as designed. Now only if I can, things will be ok.

Ranger Rick
Ranger Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 06:32 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Hey RVThere,

When we did that, we didnt notice the problem till it ran up the stack & started pouring off the roof.

If that ever happens, do NOT attempt to look into the toilet to see if its full. At that point it is under pressure and, well you can guess the rest.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:36 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I do not believe the EMS shuts down the #2 compressor in heat pump mode, but only in cooling mode, and this could have helped to bring you over genset breaker current.