Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-11-2015, 10:14 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise
 
Rossi6998's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 336
Suggestions on slideout problem

Approximately five weeks ago, I brought my motorhome to my local dealership for repair. I was having a problem with my Lippert Leveling Jacks (bulging hose) and my slideout was making a funny clunking noise and would not seal against the inside wall when open (stopped approximately 1/2" to 1" from the inside wall).

The mechanic ordered parts and allegedly fixed the slideout. When I asked him to make sure the slideout was sealing against the inside wall, he said the slideout was operating as intended and told me I could come and look at it. The following day, I went down and tried the slideout. The slide moved out smoothly with no unusual noise, but stopped approximately 1/2" from sealing against the inside wall. Everyone is trying to convince me this is no big deal, but I am not happy with this. They told me they would have the Winnebago Rep. come look at the slideout.

I spoke with my service advisor today who said he has been e-mailing the Winnebago Rep. Although they are still looking into the issue, my service advisor is making it sound like the Winnebago Rep is not concerned about the issue.

If the area Winnebago Rep is unable or unwilling to assist, I am looking for some reasonable suggestions as to what to do next or what has worked for others in similar situations.

I am not going to threaten the dealership with, "I will never buy another motorhome here again," or "I will never have my motorhome serviced here again" because I do not want to back myself into a corner.

Will calling Winnebago Customer Service help?

Thanks
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:43 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper
 
papaw.1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ALABAMA
Posts: 10
papaw.1

Hi Rossi6998,
I do not have a winnebago but the MH I have has a slide that seals against the wall and the seal is there for that reason.JMHO I would not accept their excuses because its your MH and in the long run its your problem.Have you called Winnebago directly if not I think that would be my next step.Take care and the best of luck to you.Keep us posted on the results.Tks.
__________________
Billy & Millie (2013 Allegro 36 LA) USMC VET
2013 Hyundai GT, 08 Harley trike
Mastertow dolly/doxies Gracie & Special
papaw.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 11:48 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner
 
emmmw's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 83
Call Winnebago... they've always been very helpful for me and others I know. Just make sure you have the VIN of your MH so they can look at your coaches' actual parts.
emmmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:18 AM   #4
Winnebago Master
 
FIRE UP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Out there, somewhere
Posts: 1,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi6998 View Post
Approximately five weeks ago, I brought my motorhome to my local dealership for repair. I was having a problem with my Lippert Leveling Jacks (bulging hose) and my slideout was making a funny clunking noise and would not seal against the inside wall when open (stopped approximately 1/2" to 1" from the inside wall).

The mechanic ordered parts and allegedly fixed the slideout. When I asked him to make sure the slideout was sealing against the inside wall, he said the slideout was operating as intended and told me I could come and look at it. The following day, I went down and tried the slideout. The slide moved out smoothly with no unusual noise, but stopped approximately 1/2" from sealing against the inside wall. Everyone is trying to convince me this is no big deal, but I am not happy with this. They told me they would have the Winnebago Rep. come look at the slideout.

I spoke with my service advisor today who said he has been e-mailing the Winnebago Rep. Although they are still looking into the issue, my service advisor is making it sound like the Winnebago Rep is not concerned about the issue.

If the area Winnebago Rep is unable or unwilling to assist, I am looking for some reasonable suggestions as to what to do next or what has worked for others in similar situations.

I am not going to threaten the dealership with, "I will never buy another motorhome here again," or "I will never have my motorhome serviced here again" because I do not want to back myself into a corner.

Will calling Winnebago Customer Service help?

Thanks
Rossi6998,
Well Sir, maybe the very first thing I might do in a situation like this is, go find ANOTHER ONE, JUST LIKE YOURS, EXACTLY, and observe the operating conditions of the same slide, on that coach. That may give you "AMMO" to be armed with when dealing with any person/tech/service rep/Winnebago rep etc. If, you do find identical coaches, and they do the same exact thing, as in stopping short of the seal, well then, maybe, just maybe, that particular model has this operating characteristic that's only seen IN that model.


But, if any other coach, that's the SAME EXACT ONE, does close ALL THE WAY TO THE SEAL, well then, you definitely have the PROOF and ammunition for some serious arguing about how your slide should or, should not work.

That's one way of starting to get down to brass tacks on whether yours IS , or IS NOT operating correctly. Just taking the word of a tech, who may, or may not be properly schooled or trained on some things, sometimes is not good enough. And sales folks for the most part, are clueless. Good luck and please post if your situation changes.
Scott
__________________
2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:00 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner
 
oakcreekeric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Oak Creek, WI
Posts: 71
I would also suggest taking pictures and email them to WBG... pictures are worth a thousand words !!
__________________
Eric & Denise
2012 Itasca Sunstar 35F
2010 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 12:17 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise
 
Rossi6998's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Rossi6998,
Well Sir, maybe the very first thing I might do in a situation like this is, go find ANOTHER ONE, JUST LIKE YOURS, EXACTLY, and observe the operating conditions of the same slide, on that coach. That may give you "AMMO" to be armed with when dealing with any person/tech/service rep/Winnebago rep etc. If, you do find identical coaches, and they do the same exact thing, as in stopping short of the seal, well then, maybe, just maybe, that particular model has this operating characteristic that's only seen IN that model.


But, if any other coach, that's the SAME EXACT ONE, does close ALL THE WAY TO THE SEAL, well then, you definitely have the PROOF and ammunition for some serious arguing about how your slide should or, should not work.

That's one way of starting to get down to brass tacks on whether yours IS , or IS NOT operating correctly. Just taking the word of a tech, who may, or may not be properly schooled or trained on some things, sometimes is not good enough. And sales folks for the most part, are clueless. Good luck and please post if your situation changes.
Scott
Hi Scott,

I have already done just that. A person on the forum, who has the same year, make and model, was nice enough to take pictures of his slide and send them to me. The slide seals against the wall. I provided the pictures to my dealership, who has supposedly e-mailed them to the Winnebago tech. Now, the final word is not in, but my service advisor is leading me to believe the Winnebago tech is not too concerned, so far. We will see...
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 12:19 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise
 
Rossi6998's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by papaw.1 View Post
Hi Rossi6998,
I do not have a winnebago but the MH I have has a slide that seals against the wall and the seal is there for that reason.JMHO I would not accept their excuses because its your MH and in the long run its your problem.Have you called Winnebago directly if not I think that would be my next step.Take care and the best of luck to you.Keep us posted on the results.Tks.
Completely agree and I feel the same way. With the way they cut costs, if the seal is there to serve a purpose, such as sealing against a wall, then they would not install one. My next step is probably to call Winnebago directly.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 06:00 AM   #8
Winnebago Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,079
The slides do not seal tight against the body like the older HWH powered slides. They stick out approximately an inch from the side of the coach when fully retracted. Having said that they do seal against the weather stripping.


If the slides push against the weather strip equally around the opening, and you can't see any of the painted surfaces on the ends they are closing properly. The trim around the new style slides overlaps the gasket/weather stripping material. They don't force the weather stripping into the cavity like the previous generation slides
__________________
Hikerdogs
2013 Adventurer 32H
Hikerdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:44 PM   #9
Winnebago Master
 
jerichorick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Full-timer/volunteer w/SOWERS
Posts: 2,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi6998 View Post
Approximately five weeks ago, I brought my motorhome to my local dealership for repair. I was having a problem with my Lippert Leveling Jacks (bulging hose) and my slideout was making a funny clunking noise and would not seal against the inside wall when open (stopped approximately 1/2" to 1" from the inside wall).

The mechanic ordered parts and allegedly fixed the slideout. When I asked him to make sure the slideout was sealing against the inside wall, he said the slideout was operating as intended and told me I could come and look at it. The following day, I went down and tried the slideout. The slide moved out smoothly with no unusual noise, but stopped approximately 1/2" from sealing against the inside wall. Everyone is trying to convince me this is no big deal, but I am not happy with this. They told me they would have the Winnebago Rep. come look at the slideout.

I spoke with my service advisor today who said he has been e-mailing the Winnebago Rep. Although they are still looking into the issue, my service advisor is making it sound like the Winnebago Rep is not concerned about the issue.

If the area Winnebago Rep is unable or unwilling to assist, I am looking for some reasonable suggestions as to what to do next or what has worked for others in similar situations.

I am not going to threaten the dealership with, "I will never buy another motorhome here again," or "I will never have my motorhome serviced here again" because I do not want to back myself into a corner.

Will calling Winnebago Customer Service help?

Thanks
What year and model do you have? There are stops that can be adjusted if you know where to look.
__________________
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson (RIP), 2011 Meridian 40U, FL XCL, ISL 380HP/DEF, Al 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox TruCenter & tow equip.,EEZTire TPMS.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 02:28 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise
 
Rossi6998's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
The slides do not seal tight against the body like the older HWH powered slides. They stick out approximately an inch from the side of the coach when fully retracted. Having said that they do seal against the weather stripping.


If the slides push against the weather strip equally around the opening, and you can't see any of the painted surfaces on the ends they are closing properly. The trim around the new style slides overlaps the gasket/weather stripping material. They don't force the weather stripping into the cavity like the previous generation slides
Hello,

I am not have an issue with the slide properly closing. I am having an issue with the slide properly sealing when it is extended. When the slide is fully extended, it should completely seal against the wall. I have pictures from a friend with the same year, make , and model (2013 Itasca Sunstar 26HE).

Thanks
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 02:30 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise
 
Rossi6998's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
What year and model do you have? There are stops that can be adjusted if you know where to look.
2013 Itasca Sunstar 26HE. I just found out today, the dealership is going to have an "expert" come out and take a look at the slide. They are starting to think like you and believe it might be a calibration or some type of adjustment issue.

Thanks
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 08:06 AM   #12
Winnebago Master
 
jerichorick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Full-timer/volunteer w/SOWERS
Posts: 2,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi6998 View Post
2013 Itasca Sunstar 26HE. I just found out today, the dealership is going to have an "expert" come out and take a look at the slide. They are starting to think like you and believe it might be a calibration or some type of adjustment issue.

Thanks
If you use Internet Explorer you can look at the parts catalog for your coach. Go to the Winnebago website and under Resources put in your year and model. Choose Parts Catalog. You will have to install a viewer. When you get to the catalog you will need to put in your SN. This is a bit tricky because it is not the full #. It is the first few characters and the last several. I hope one of the forum members can fill in my blanks.

The diagrams are not great but they help with understanding how things work, where to look and what to look for on the coach.

I do hope your problem is solved soon. The seal should be in contact with the wall when the side is extended. This is only reasonable because what would be the purpose of having them? Bugs and rain have to be controlled somehow.

Rick Y
__________________
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson (RIP), 2011 Meridian 40U, FL XCL, ISL 380HP/DEF, Al 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox TruCenter & tow equip.,EEZTire TPMS.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 08:32 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner
 
Bumps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: FTer Class of 2015 Origin: Evergreen, Colorado
Posts: 112
Rossi6998: Not sure which slide we are talking about, but curious, if when your front slide extends, about whether it drops down to make the floor inside the MH flat from wall-to-wall? I have a 2005, but my seals do not meet the outside wall until the slide actually starts to lower to make the living room floor flat. \ken
__________________
Ken & Deb (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, Harvest Hosts, and grateful volunteers with SOWERs)
2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/400ISL and Allison 3000MH on Freightliner's Evolution chassis, Onan QD7500, 1000w Renogy solar, BlueOx tow gear, and 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 09:27 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise
 
Rossi6998's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 336
Hi Bumps...

My slide does not lower to level with the floor. It is suppose to extend out (I'm guessing approximately two feet) and the frame around the slide should be sealing against the inside wall. The slide is probably a couple inches higher than the rest of the floor. Unfortunately, The slide is stopping approximately 1/2" from sealing. There is no problem with the slide sealing when it is retracted (pulled in for travel).

Supposedly the dealership is trying to get someone from Lippert to come out and take a look. There is no doubt in my mind that the slide should be sealing against the inside wall when fully extended.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
slideout


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
can't control tv with sattelite remote. Suggestions? LCD Tech | Toys and Gear 11 12-30-2008 10:45 AM
Wheel Cleaner suggestions?? smlranger Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires 14 05-10-2005 09:00 AM
Fridge problem..suggestions needed. General Maintenance and Repair 10 12-31-1969 07:00 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Winnebago Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.