Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2015, 10:14 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Suggestions on slideout problem

Approximately five weeks ago, I brought my motorhome to my local dealership for repair. I was having a problem with my Lippert Leveling Jacks (bulging hose) and my slideout was making a funny clunking noise and would not seal against the inside wall when open (stopped approximately 1/2" to 1" from the inside wall).

The mechanic ordered parts and allegedly fixed the slideout. When I asked him to make sure the slideout was sealing against the inside wall, he said the slideout was operating as intended and told me I could come and look at it. The following day, I went down and tried the slideout. The slide moved out smoothly with no unusual noise, but stopped approximately 1/2" from sealing against the inside wall. Everyone is trying to convince me this is no big deal, but I am not happy with this. They told me they would have the Winnebago Rep. come look at the slideout.

I spoke with my service advisor today who said he has been e-mailing the Winnebago Rep. Although they are still looking into the issue, my service advisor is making it sound like the Winnebago Rep is not concerned about the issue.

If the area Winnebago Rep is unable or unwilling to assist, I am looking for some reasonable suggestions as to what to do next or what has worked for others in similar situations.

I am not going to threaten the dealership with, "I will never buy another motorhome here again," or "I will never have my motorhome serviced here again" because I do not want to back myself into a corner.

Will calling Winnebago Customer Service help?

Thanks
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:43 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

papaw.1

Hi Rossi6998,
I do not have a winnebago but the MH I have has a slide that seals against the wall and the seal is there for that reason.JMHO I would not accept their excuses because its your MH and in the long run its your problem.Have you called Winnebago directly if not I think that would be my next step.Take care and the best of luck to you.Keep us posted on the results.Tks.
papaw.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 11:48 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Call Winnebago... they've always been very helpful for me and others I know. Just make sure you have the VIN of your MH so they can look at your coaches' actual parts.
emmmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:18 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi6998 View Post
Approximately five weeks ago, I brought my motorhome to my local dealership for repair. I was having a problem with my Lippert Leveling Jacks (bulging hose) and my slideout was making a funny clunking noise and would not seal against the inside wall when open (stopped approximately 1/2" to 1" from the inside wall).

The mechanic ordered parts and allegedly fixed the slideout. When I asked him to make sure the slideout was sealing against the inside wall, he said the slideout was operating as intended and told me I could come and look at it. The following day, I went down and tried the slideout. The slide moved out smoothly with no unusual noise, but stopped approximately 1/2" from sealing against the inside wall. Everyone is trying to convince me this is no big deal, but I am not happy with this. They told me they would have the Winnebago Rep. come look at the slideout.

I spoke with my service advisor today who said he has been e-mailing the Winnebago Rep. Although they are still looking into the issue, my service advisor is making it sound like the Winnebago Rep is not concerned about the issue.

If the area Winnebago Rep is unable or unwilling to assist, I am looking for some reasonable suggestions as to what to do next or what has worked for others in similar situations.

I am not going to threaten the dealership with, "I will never buy another motorhome here again," or "I will never have my motorhome serviced here again" because I do not want to back myself into a corner.

Thanks
Rossi6998,
Well Sir, maybe the very first thing I might do in a situation like this is, go find ANOTHER ONE, JUST LIKE YOURS, EXACTLY, and observe the operating conditions of the same slide, on that coach. That may give you "AMMO" to be armed with when dealing with any person/tech/service rep/Winnebago rep etc. If, you do find identical coaches, and they do the same exact thing, as in stopping short of the seal, well then, maybe, just maybe, that particular model has this operating characteristic that's only seen IN that model.

But, if any other coach, that's the SAME EXACT ONE, does close ALL THE WAY TO THE SEAL, well then, you definitely have the PROOF and ammunition for some serious arguing about how your slide should or, should not work.

That's one way of starting to get down to brass tacks on whether yours IS , or IS NOT operating correctly. Just taking the word of a tech, who may, or may not be properly schooled or trained on some things, sometimes is not good enough. And sales folks for the most part, are clueless. Good luck and please post if your situation changes.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:00 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I would also suggest taking pictures and email them to WBG... pictures are worth a thousand words !!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 12:17 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Rossi6998,
Well Sir, maybe the very first thing I might do in a situation like this is, go find ANOTHER ONE, JUST LIKE YOURS, EXACTLY, and observe the operating conditions of the same slide, on that coach. That may give you "AMMO" to be armed with when dealing with any person/tech/service rep/Winnebago rep etc. If, you do find identical coaches, and they do the same exact thing, as in stopping short of the seal, well then, maybe, just maybe, that particular model has this operating characteristic that's only seen IN that model.

But, if any other coach, that's the SAME EXACT ONE, does close ALL THE WAY TO THE SEAL, well then, you definitely have the PROOF and ammunition for some serious arguing about how your slide should or, should not work.

That's one way of starting to get down to brass tacks on whether yours IS , or IS NOT operating correctly. Just taking the word of a tech, who may, or may not be properly schooled or trained on some things, sometimes is not good enough. And sales folks for the most part, are clueless. Good luck and please post if your situation changes.
Scott
Hi Scott,

I have already done just that. A person on the forum, who has the same year, make and model, was nice enough to take pictures of his slide and send them to me. The slide seals against the wall. I provided the pictures to my dealership, who has supposedly e-mailed them to the Winnebago tech. Now, the final word is not in, but my service advisor is leading me to believe the Winnebago tech is not too concerned, so far. We will see...
Old 02-13-2015, 12:19 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaw.1 View Post
Hi Rossi6998,
I do not have a winnebago but the MH I have has a slide that seals against the wall and the seal is there for that reason.JMHO I would not accept their excuses because its your MH and in the long run its your problem.Have you called Winnebago directly if not I think that would be my next step.Take care and the best of luck to you.Keep us posted on the results.Tks.
Completely agree and I feel the same way. With the way they cut costs, if the seal is there to serve a purpose, such as sealing against a wall, then they would not install one. My next step is probably to call Winnebago directly.
Old 02-13-2015, 06:00 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

The slides do not seal tight against the body like the older HWH powered slides. They stick out approximately an inch from the side of the coach when fully retracted. Having said that they do seal against the weather stripping.

If the slides push against the weather strip equally around the opening, and you can't see any of the painted surfaces on the ends they are closing properly. The trim around the new style slides overlaps the gasket/weather stripping material. They don't force the weather stripping into the cavity like the previous generation slides
Old 02-13-2015, 09:44 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:

Thanks
What year and model do you have? There are stops that can be adjusted if you know where to look.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:28 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
The slides do not seal tight against the body like the older HWH powered slides. They stick out approximately an inch from the side of the coach when fully retracted. Having said that they do seal against the weather stripping.

If the slides push against the weather strip equally around the opening, and you can't see any of the painted surfaces on the ends they are closing properly. The trim around the new style slides overlaps the gasket/weather stripping material. They don't force the weather stripping into the cavity like the previous generation slides
Hello,

I am not have an issue with the slide properly closing. I am having an issue with the slide properly sealing when it is extended. When the slide is fully extended, it should completely seal against the wall. I have pictures from a friend with the same year, make , and model (2013 Itasca Sunstar 26HE).

Thanks
Old 02-14-2015, 02:30 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
What year and model do you have? There are stops that can be adjusted if you know where to look.
2013 Itasca Sunstar 26HE. I just found out today, the dealership is going to have an "expert" come out and take a look at the slide. They are starting to think like you and believe it might be a calibration or some type of adjustment issue.

Thanks
Old 02-14-2015, 08:06 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
2013 Itasca Sunstar 26HE. I just found out today, the dealership is going to have an "expert" come out and take a look at the slide. They are starting to think like you and believe it might be a calibration or some type of adjustment issue.

Thanks
If you use Internet Explorer you can look at the parts catalog for your coach. Go to the Winnebago website and under Resources put in your year and model. Choose Parts Catalog. You will have to install a viewer. When you get to the catalog you will need to put in your SN. This is a bit tricky because it is not the full #. It is the first few characters and the last several. I hope one of the forum members can fill in my blanks.

The diagrams are not great but they help with understanding how things work, where to look and what to look for on the coach.

I do hope your problem is solved soon. The seal should be in contact with the wall when the side is extended. This is only reasonable because what would be the purpose of having them? Bugs and rain have to be controlled somehow.

Rick Y
Old 02-14-2015, 08:32 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Rossi6998: Not sure which slide we are talking about, but curious, if when your front slide extends, about whether it drops down to make the floor inside the MH flat from wall-to-wall? I have a 2005, but my seals do not meet the outside wall until the slide actually starts to lower to make the living room floor flat. \ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 09:27 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Hi Bumps...

My slide does not lower to level with the floor. It is suppose to extend out (I'm guessing approximately two feet) and the frame around the slide should be sealing against the inside wall. The slide is probably a couple inches higher than the rest of the floor. Unfortunately, The slide is stopping approximately 1/2" from sealing. There is no problem with the slide sealing when it is retracted (pulled in for travel).

Supposedly the dealership is trying to get someone from Lippert to come out and take a look. There is no doubt in my mind that the slide should be sealing against the inside wall when fully extended.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:51 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I would not trust anyone that says it is working correctly.
The way you describe it, you have a gap all the way around the slideout box where water and air can enter. Can you imagine how cold it would be inside if there was a gap for cold air to enter and it was snowing outside.
Something is broken or out of adjustment.

Dont' give up....

Dan
Old 02-23-2015, 06:48 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Hi Bumps...

My slide does not lower to level with the floor. It is suppose to extend out (I'm guessing approximately two feet) and the frame around the slide should be sealing against the inside wall. The slide is probably a couple inches higher than the rest of the floor. Unfortunately, The slide is stopping approximately 1/2" from sealing. There is no problem with the slide sealing when it is retracted (pulled in for travel).

Supposedly the dealership is trying to get someone from Lippert to come out and take a look. There is no doubt in my mind that the slide should be sealing against the inside wall when fully extended.
I have read many threads about Lippert problems. They just bought PowerGear I believe with its own set of problems. I do hope the someone knows what he is doing. I always look forward to a good ending to a not so happy camper story such as yours.

I look at your problem this way. Why would the manufacturer out a seal on the slide if it did nothing? That seal is to keep dust, bugs and rain out. To do so it needs to touch the wall.

If you post your location someone here may know of a better service shop for you near by if your problem is not resolved in this next attempt.

Rick Y
Old 02-23-2015, 08:06 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
I have read many threads about Lippert problems. They just bought PowerGear I believe with its own set of problems. I do hope the someone knows what he is doing. I always look forward to a good ending to a not so happy camper story such as yours.

I look at your problem this way. Why would the manufacturer out a seal on the slide if it did nothing? That seal is to keep dust, bugs and rain out. To do so it needs to touch the wall.

If you post your location someone here may know of a better service shop for you near by if your problem is not resolved in this next attempt.

Rick Y
I agree with the above couple of posts. The seal is there for a reason. The RV industry is not in a habit of adding extra parts for no reason. I will wait on the "expert" to see what he/she says.

I'm in Southern California (Whittier area). There are other RV places around me, but I am going to see it through with my dealership. They are doing their best and trying to make things right. If I start getting push back, then we will see what happens. I truly believe they have no clue how to solve this problem. Hopefully, the expert will.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:36 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

**Update**

The Division Service Manager at my dealership made contact with the Winnebago Regional Representative about my slideout issue. Here is his response (with the names removed);

Good afternoon xxxxx,

I have had some opportunities to look into the slide issue that the Rossi’s have approached you about. This is the slide that the customer states doesn’t open all the way like it used to.

Other than the color of the rails, the only items that have changed on this slide mechanism is the interior bulb seal. The old seal used to all be one piece, which included a double-barrel bulb seal and it was actually a part of the wiper seal. Now, the seal is a single bulb seal and does stand taller than the old one, and it is a separate piece from the wiper seal. Per LCI, the new bulb seal could cause the room to not go out as far, but should not affect the seal of the coach. As long as the seal is getting a 50% crush, and as long as the room is coming in all the way with an appropriate seal, the mechanism is doing what it should be doing. I believe this one had more along the lines of about 80% crush, which is great. If the seal is crushed too much, it could cause issues with the mechanism.

Per my inspection and per the findings from our tech support team, as well as LCI, this room is working just as it should. I do believe that the missing screws should be installed and the correct screws should be used. There should be a screw in each mounting hole punched in this mechanism.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

xxxx xxxx
Winnebago Industries, Inc
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:00 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
**Update**

The Division Service Manager at my dealership made contact with the Winnebago Regional Representative about my slideout issue. Here is his response (with the names removed);

Good afternoon xxxxx,

I have had some opportunities to look into the slide issue that the Rossi’s have approached you about. This is the slide that the customer states doesn’t open all the way like it used to.

Other than the color of the rails, the only items that have changed on this slide mechanism is the interior bulb seal. The old seal used to all be one piece, which included a double-barrel bulb seal and it was actually a part of the wiper seal. Now, the seal is a single bulb seal and does stand taller than the old one, and it is a separate piece from the wiper seal. Per LCI, the new bulb seal could cause the room to not go out as far, but should not affect the seal of the coach. As long as the seal is getting a 50% crush, and as long as the room is coming in all the way with an appropriate seal, the mechanism is doing what it should be doing. I believe this one had more along the lines of about 80% crush, which is great. If the seal is crushed too much, it could cause issues with the mechanism.

Per my inspection and per the findings from our tech support team, as well as LCI, this room is working just as it should. I do believe that the missing screws should be installed and the correct screws should be used. There should be a screw in each mounting hole punched in this mechanism.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

xxxx xxxx
Winnebago Industries, Inc

So, John, is there a problem or not? Have you tried to find another unit like yours to compare? What are we missing here. It sounds like the room is working fine (now). Have things changed from what they started to work with to what you now have?

Rick Y
Old 05-17-2015, 11:34 AM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
So, John, is there a problem or not? Have you tried to find another unit like yours to compare? What are we missing here. It sounds like the room is working fine (now). Have things changed from what they started to work with to what you now have?

Rick Y
Unfortunately, the issue is difficult to explain without actually seeing it. I believe I have more of a cosmetic issue now than anything else. A portion of the slideout mechanism was replaced. This mechanism is sealing slightly different than the original mechanism. From the inside of the motorhome, the wood frame around the slideout is not pressing flush against the wall, so it does not appear the slideout is all the way extended. Winnebago is claiming (and they appear to be correct), that the slideout is sealing and stopping because of the different gasket even though the wood frame is not pressing against the inside wall of the motorhome like it used to.

So, the inside gasket might be sealing, but from visually looking at the slideout, it appears it is not fully extended because it stops a half inch to one inch from pressing against the inside wall.

Someone on this forum (MACNUT) was nice enough to take pictures and video of his slideout. He has the same make, year, and model motorhome. His slideout extends all the way out and presses against the inside wall.
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.

Tags
slideout