Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2015, 11:34 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Windshield Wiper issue

Driving north on Tuesday 3/24/15 we had many areas of drizzle. Using the single swipe mode I noticed that the drivers side wiper blade was going further left the more I used it. It got to the point that that it was going off the glass and hitting the metal shield. The passenger side remained operating in the normal condition.
We encountered a downpour at one point and using the wipers created more issues. The left side hung up on the metal shied and I heard a pop.The blade and arm stayed hung up on the shield and the right side returned to the parked position.
Checking out the wiper motor and arms I found the connecting rod for the left side had popped off the arm connector. Putting it back in place and running the wipers created the same condition.Removing the blade from the knurl fitting and repositioning the arm closer to the center did not correct the issue.
Can anyone offer hints that I can do to correct the position of the blade. The connecting rod is a presized piece and is not adjustable
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:04 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I'm not sure I understand this completely. My driver-side began hitting the outside one time, the blade positioning screw had came loose enough for the blade to tilt to about the 2 o'clock position. I stopped the movement when the blade was hitting that metal piece and re-positioned it so it didn't hit, and tightened the screw.
However, if the knurled shaft is stripped, one thing you can do is to use a product in a tube that restores a press-fit; it's somewhat like powdered metal in a petroleum base-made by loc-tite.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 10:42 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

The wiper blade for the driver side is positioned, when parked 1 inch from the center post, and vertical.
When activated it will sweep across the windshield and hit the metal molding and ride up on it.
The male knurl fitting mounted in the body and the female in the wiper arm appear to be in good condition.
I think the sweep has some way gotten to the point that it is too great for the windshield, very puzzling.
"Everyone Goes Home"
Old 03-29-2015, 09:30 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I had the same problem with my 05 Journey. What it was with mine was the bracket that holds the wiper shaft was broken. If you open up the generator compartment look where the inside wiper arm goes to the shaft that goes out to the front of the rig and you'll see a bracket with ear like bracket where it bolts to the frame, if one or both of these ears are broken the wiper shaft will rotate strangely. I had to replace one on the passenger side. If you are lucky maybe the nuts came loose, if not the ears have broken off. Good Luck!
Jackhal1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:06 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Wiper Overtravel

Try this.
Windshield_Wiper_Over_Travel_Revised.pdf
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 01:15 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I believe that the wiper over travel issue has been corrected. "dnystrom" had noted a site for WW over travel.
Working with this info and checking their information we found loose nuts on the shaft/pivot inside the front. 2 nuts tightened at least 2 full turns.
The second thing noticed was the "Drive arm" connected to the motor, this was bent and the 2 "connecting links" where hitting the motor shaft nut. Bent the drive arm out about 1/4 inch until it was evenly aligned with the motor mount
The two items corrected the over travel and each side blade travel is now equal.
I would not have believed the bent drive arm would cause the issue

Thanks to all for the suggestions.
"Everyone Goes Home"
Old 05-16-2015, 10:54 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

2012 journey wiper transmission/linkage drivers side

anyone ever replaced the linkage/transmission for drvr side wipers on 2012 jpurney? Difficulty? part number?
Mpsmabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 01:05 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Check out this company. I ordered parts from them. Very heavy in School Bus parts. You should find an exploded diagram for your type of wiper system
I tried Google for the web site

Transportation Accessories Company P.O. Box 546 145 East Pratt Street Johnstown, Ohio 43031 800-282-6969
"Everyone Goes Home"