Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-06-2019, 11:38 AM   #21
Winnebago Watcher

The question about towing is always difficult to answer because it has too many variables. I got a spreadsheet that you can use to fill out the details and see if you are within limits or not for your specific situation.
Towing with a full trailer is not the same as towing while driving by yourself, regardless of the trailer size and weight. The load in your truck will actually determine how much you can tow

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Old 09-12-2019, 03:05 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Blue Ox Tongue Wt

I have a question that I hope someone can explain. If this has been answered elsewhere please point me to that.... THANKS So, I followed the process I have seen here and other places to get tongue weight of my 2108ds at the CAT scales. I also ordered a Sherline scale that happened to arrive that day. My scale tickets indicate a tongue weight of 680 lbs. F150 weight with trailer attached and with WDH bars disconnected minus the Empty F150 weight. This was 6100 - 5420 = 680. So this seemed light based on expectations (have added 2- 6 volts batteries and a Jack it Bike hitch with 60 lbs of bikes on the tongue, plus lots of stuff in the storage bays), but I was happy to have a figure. Well I decided to try out the Sherline after the trip to the CAT. I leveled up the trailer and stacked up concrete block and set the tip of scale in the hitch. I was surprised to see 790 lbs or a difference of 110 lbs from the CAT calculation. The only difference I could think of was the tongue height when I weighed without WDH (truck sags). So I started to experiment with different levels of the front jack. If I lowered the front somewhat like it would have been with the WDH disengaged the scale read a lower weight. I was surprised as it seems this would allow more weight towards the front. An inch lower was 750 lbs... two inches was about 660. Did I miss something? Thanks for any insight you can share!
essbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 04:12 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Late reply to the post but we have two tow vehicles one Merc GLE350d and one GMC Canyon 2.8 Diesel, our 2108FBS trailer on average weighs about 4300LBS

Run about 480LBS tongue weight, no WD no Sway control.

Both pull this weight quite well, the Merc has lots more power and has many nice tow options built in like air suspension, anti-sway and wind drift correction but the Canyon's 6 speed seems nicely programmed to use the torque and the built in exhaust brake a nice bonus.
The Canyon with the 2108FBS in our case drops about 1 inch in the rear.

Since the thread started with a fellow Canyon Diesel owner, the engine has no problem pulling this.
The 2.8L "Duramax" was originally designed to run north of 200HP and 400LBS of torque but the EPA got in the way and GM de rated it to what it is now to meet emissions.

Hitch sticker says 900LBS max tongue weight, manual says max 7700LBS for certain models, ours is 4x4 limited to 7600LBS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WEIGHT.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	411.8 KB
ID:	172841  
MicroMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 08:34 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

For those interested, leveling numbers below:

Unloaded Front 35.25" Loaded 35.75" (500LBS on Hitch & 100LBS in the bed)
Unloaded Rear 36.25" Loaded 34.5"
No Weight distribution

2.8L Duramax, great truck, love driving it!, tows well but it's not a power house.
If you're a fast driver or pass a lot, don't get the 2.8L, go V8 or V6 diesel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CANYON.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	366.5 KB
ID:	172935  
Old 02-23-2020, 08:10 AM   #25
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroMinnie View Post
2.8L Duramax, great truck, love driving it!, tows well but it's not a power house.
If you're a fast driver or pass a lot, don't get the 2.8L, go V8 or V6 diesel.
And upgrade the factory tires on the Winnebago! They have a 65 mph limit.

My comment as to truck would be if you don't like the 2.8 Duramax get a full size truck with an optional larger fuel tank (or maybe one of the 3.0 diesels that are significantly more powerful than the 2.8). Otherwise you'll be filling up too often and have a lot of fuel anxiety.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 05:14 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyScott View Post
grogers, I had the gas 6 cylinder. The 2108DS weighs about 3900 lbs dry, I never weighed it but I don't think I added more than 1000-1500 lbs to travel. I was well within the towing capacity of the truck. Mine came with the factory tow package, Z71, 4 door cab, short bed. I added a brake module, and used the Equalizer hitch and it worked great. I really had no problems with towing the camper with the Colorado. I traded for the Tahoe mostly for long ride comfort and a few more luxury features. Like you I really liked the size of the Colorado.
I bought a Chev Colorado with the V6 and factory trailer package to tow my new travel trailer a 2106DS. Year one with short trips it seemed to work out okay, However in year two with longer highway trips and steep mountain passes it became apparent the Colorado really had to work hard to tow the trailer, It was impossible to keep to the speed limits going uphills. In short, the engine would even misfire on occasion. Well, for peace of mind and safety I upgraded the Colorado to a full size V8 Chev pickup. Although I miss the Colorado, really liked its size, I can now honestly say while I am towing the trailer it is effortless. Also, the gas mileage is actually better with the full size V8 that the Colorado's V6.. I really have to wonder how GM can claim the Colorado has a 7,000 lb towing capacity, must be on the level only given my experience.
TrailerDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 05:25 PM   #27
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerDon View Post
I really have to wonder how GM can claim the Colorado has a 7,000 lb towing capacity, must be on the level only given my experience.
You have to understand what goes into those max tow ratings. It's really a lot of nonsense, IMHO. It includes things like will the parking brake hold, pulling the trailer in a circle at speed without oversteer, starting from a stop repeatedly going up a grade, etc.

But they also give a lot of other ratings, and your Colorado was probably pretty close to a lot of those limits with the 2106DS. For mine (a diesel) I'm within about 300 pounds of my payload with a 2106DS loaded with about 500 pounds. IMHO it's pretty close to as big of a travel trailer as should be pulled, even with the diesel. To go heavier it may need to be a boat trailer that would have a lower tongue weight.

But as to your experience, the main reason I went diesel was fuel range, but it was also so I wouldn't have to go through what you mentioned--revving the engine to the point where you wish it were a rental vehicle. Gas engines generate their power at higher RPMs and that is needed for hills. If you think your Colorado was bad, the Gladiator seems worse from what I've seen.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:32 PM   #28
Winnebago Master

BTW, this is a good site for seeing if your vehicle can tow a trailer. Max Tow is only a small part of it, and probably the limit that gets violated the least without another limit or two being violated!

TowCalculator.com
Old 04-02-2020, 06:54 AM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Manufacturers tow weight ratings are just that. weight.

But in addition to weight, RV wind drag is a VERY big load added to actual weight itself.
Obviously that is hard to publish as there are too many variables but just imagine if you have just 1lbs per square inch on the nose of the trailer when towing 65MPH.

Try hauling a flat bed trailer vs an RV. worlds apart!. With an RV fuel mileage/power will be in the dump because of it. In airplanes twice the speed = 4x the drag, same with the RV you're pulling.

The 2.8L Duramax has zero issues with the weight rating itself.
Old 04-02-2020, 08:54 AM   #30
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Manufacturers tow weight ratings are just that. weight.
But again, max tow is only one of the weight limits. The Duramax might have zero problems with that weight (7,600 or 7,700 pounds), but for many types of trailers the axles and other suspension parts will.
Old 04-03-2020, 03:29 PM   #31
Winnebago Owner

I am about to pickup my brand new 2021 2306BHS and will be towing with a diesel Colorado. I am a little nervous as it will be close to the limits. But I have had some trouble with my Colorado.... I have been thinking about trading it in on a 1500 Duramax, trailering it 2 hours home might be the deciding factor..
TroutBum1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 03:51 PM   #32
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutBum1971 View Post
I have been thinking about trading it in on a 1500 Duramax, trailering it 2 hours home might be the deciding factor..
That would be a much more capable vehicle, assuming even that you're talking about the 3.0 Duramax. It still has an exhaust brake, unlike the Ford and Ram offerings, and also has a more advanced EGR system. My only concern is that it's a new engine, but that's just me.
Old 04-03-2020, 04:02 PM   #33
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
That would be a much more capable vehicle, assuming even that you're talking about the 3.0 Duramax. It still has an exhaust brake, unlike the Ford and Ram offerings, and also has a more advanced EGR system. My only concern is that it's a new engine, but that's just me.
I am talking about the 3.0 2020 Silverado.
that's my concern too, I have the 2016 Colorado and had an injector fail and melt a piston.. total engine replaced.. now the torque converter and valve body, tranny and wiring harness are being replaced. even if this fixes the truck I am nervous about what is next! If the dealer labels it unfixable then I get trade in and some cash thrown at me to buy a new truck. if the fix it I can still get a good trade in for the down payment
TroutBum1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 06:27 PM   #34
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutBum1971 View Post
I am about to pickup my brand new 2021 2306BHS and will be towing with a diesel Colorado. I am a little nervous as it will be close to the limits. But I have had some trouble with my Colorado.... I have been thinking about trading it in on a 1500 Duramax, trailering it 2 hours home might be the deciding factor..

I can appreciate your concern, I bought a Colorado with the V6 and factory towing package to tow my 2106DS, At first I thought that it was a good match the first year I had the vehicle. However, in my second year I traveled through the Rockies and realized that the Colorado really had to work hard to tow the trailer up the longer steeper roads, I started to have a few misfires the motor was working so hard. So, I felt that I had no real choice but to either get a smaller trailer, which I did not want, So, I traded in the Colorado for a full size Chev with the 5.3 V8 and factory tow package. What a difference, I was surprised to get slightly better gas milage, can honestly say while towing the 2106DS with the new vehicle I hardly know I am towing it. I do miss the Colorado, perfect size truck in my opinion, however, it was just not up to the task.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	317.8 KB
ID:	173203   Click image for larger version

Name:	029.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	173204  

Old 04-14-2020, 08:34 AM   #35
Winnebago Camper

I'll weigh in on my setup. I have a 2100BH which is a similar weight to this travel trailer. I tow with a Dodge Durango V6 with the towing package and have an Anderson anti-sway/distribution hitch. I have two people and two dogs in the Durango have about 500lbs in the camper which means its weight is ~4200lbs. Combined weight of the Durango + camper is about 11,000bs (weighted on a CAT scale).

I live in the Rockies and regularly traverse mountain passes and the combination of the Durango plus the 2100BH does quite well.

If we regularly did long trips(more than 3 hours) or were full timers I would consider upgrading my tow vehicle but for the 6 or 7 times we go out a year this combo works great.

- Brian
bricrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 04:02 PM   #36
Winnebago Watcher

Canyon towing continued

Have bought a 2109 Canyon, bought it from my "retirement" pickup. Now we're thinking about buying a 2306BHS; dry weight 4260. I would love to upgrade the tow vehicle but it is what it is. Plan on purchasing the antisway and weight distribution hitch. Trips in Texas mostly just hills no mountains. From this thread I think the Canyon will be ok, with some limitations of course.

Am I thinking OK on this setup? Especially if I keep most of my camping weight in the trailer?

I appreciate the wisdom on this thread, I just don't want to have issues!

Thanks all.
Cobbler54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 04:25 PM   #37
Winnebago Owner

It will tow it and is within specifications but.. a gas Canyon will struggle with this, a diesel will do better but all subjective for yourself on how good it is.

We have a Canyon Diesel and Mercedes Diesel, no comparison 4 cyl vs 6 cyl but the utility part of the Canyon and just a plain fun daily driver to me makes it worth it.

If you’re not commited to a new trailer, see if dealer will let you tow it for few miles. My bet..if you have a gas Canyon it will tow it but you’ll end up with a V8 or diesel sooner or later. a smaller trailer won’t make a massive difference as the winddrag is big factor.

As for weight distribution, I would focus on just that, scrap the sway control. proper loading is your friend, sway control that does anything at all makes your setup drive like a dump truck and does very little when your loaded properly.

We tow without weight distibution and no sway control on both the Canyon and the Merc but you’ll be closer to 600 LBS tongue weight which will cause a good sag, but... still within limits even without weight distribution that is if you don’t toss too much gear in the bed.

I did add the Firestone Air Bags on the Canyon and run stiffer front springs with the factory 1” front lift which preloads the spring more, so no sag on ours.
Old 07-30-2020, 05:23 PM   #38
Winnebago Master

Quote:
It will tow it and is within specifications but.. a gas Canyon will struggle with this, a diesel will do better but all subjective for yourself on how good it is.
I've come to the conclusion that with the Colorado/Canyon it depends on how tolerant you are about engines revving, but in flat Texas and surrounds it might not matter much.

With a gasser you're going to be at or above 3,500 a lot. With a diesel you might be more worried about too low of RPMs, at least without tow/haul on. You'll likely won't even see 3,500 much, if at all.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:01 PM   #39
Winnebago Owner

As you mentioned, you will not be mountain driving. So you will be fine. I had a Colorado and did mountain driving and the V6 was just not up to the task with a MM 2106DS, had I opted for the diesel I would have fared better I am told. However, having fuel injection problems and misfires and parts on back order I opted to to the full size Chev with the V8. I can honestly say, now when driving I can hardly tell I am towing a trailer. Plus I get better milage with the larger truck than the Colorado, which just shows the Colorado was working very hard to tow the trailer.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:54 PM   #40
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you Micro Minnie
Cobbler54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing