Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-19-2021, 02:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

How to clean Umbilical Cable: Motorhome<->Car?

I have a heavy duty male connector recessed on my 2005 Sightseer and a similar heavy duty male connector on my tow vehicle. I connect them with a heavy duty coiled cable with female ends. This has worked great for the last 12 years

Recently, the cable has not been making as good a contact - I'm finding I need to unplug & plug back in several times to get all the lights working. I'm thinking cleaning the male and female contacts would be a good idea - but how to do it?

The female round hole is roughly 1/8" with a male round plug of a similar diameter. I've used a dielectric grease for years on the plug & socket.

If you have one of these, how did you end up cleaning it? What did you use to get down inside the female connectors? Did you rough up the metal mating surfaces with a light scratching of 220 grit sandpaper?

What can I do to insure a reliable connection between the motorhome and the tow car?

I sure would appreciate your experienced suggestions!
Old 08-19-2021, 03:43 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi Alfred,
Most importantly, you must assure that your cable is NOT powered at all. No 12 VDC of any kind. Then, get a can of starting fluid with lubricant. Use that to clean your contacts. Do not breath the fumes; use an organic respirator if you cannot hold your breath.
Eagle5
Old 08-19-2021, 08:35 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

BB Gun bore brush.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 02:53 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

They make an electric connection cleaner, its comes in a spray can. I use it at least once a year to clean the connections you are talking about. For the female connection I use the spray cleaner and "q" tips to get to the inside. The male ends I use the cleaner and emery boards (the things to file fingernails) works great.

Good Luck safe travels
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 02:48 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks all for your great suggestions! I'll give some a try this weekend!
Old 08-20-2021, 04:07 PM   #6
Site Team

I guess you're talking about one of these? The coiled cord between your 7-way receptacle on the RV and a 3, 4 or 5-way receptacle on your Toad? Mine is a 7 to 4 plug and I have a Blue Ox Toad setup so I get a Blue Ox like this from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006DS4SGA/

I routinely buy a new cord every 16 months or so. I just bought my 3rd since 2017. I do try to clean it a few times but after a while it just doesn't make a secure connection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-08-20 at 5.05.26 PM.png
Views:	50
Size:	437.4 KB
ID:	180604  
Old 08-22-2021, 06:24 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

The only component I have issues with it the 4 pin connector on the front of the TOAD. The Pigtail resides in a water tight box when not in use so little chance for corrosion to set in, the 7 pin connector on the back of the motor home closes up nicely and I seldom have issues with a good connection there. The culprit for me it the one on the front of the CRV that gets driving rain, dirt, and dust every time I drive the car. I have also noticed that from time to time the spring is not strong enough to keep the cover closed, I watch for this and make sure it is shut frequently. I usually have issues getting everything to work at the beginning of my camping season in the spring. I have a can of the foaming battery terminal cleaner that I will spray into both sides of the 4 pin connector, then a shot of WD40 to clean the battery terminal cleaner out. A couple times I have used a small screw driver to spread the pins in the TOAD to make better contact. I have also noticed a few times that I need to spray some WD40 into the break away connection, to ensure it is working properly when I test it.
Old 08-25-2021, 04:14 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvtexan View Post
BB Gun bore brush.
Brass not Nylon...
NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA 455593 & WIT 170814
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 05:56 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Twice have had the problem of poor connection resulting in some lights not working. First time it was a loose screw on a wire inside the plug one end of the cord. Corrected that by using blue locktite on the threads of all the screws at both ends of the cord. Second time correction was, as mentioned above by Tim Myers, by barely and carefully spreading the tip of the appropriate prong in the receptacle with a small screw driver.
Old 08-25-2021, 10:26 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I guess you're talking about one of these? The coiled cord between your 7-way receptacle on the RV and a 3, 4 or 5-way receptacle on your Toad? Mine is a 7 to 4 plug and I have a Blue Ox Toad setup so I get a Blue Ox like this from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006DS4SGA/

I routinely buy a new cord every 16 months or so. I just bought my 3rd since 2017. I do try to clean it a few times but after a while it just doesn't make a secure connection.
==============================================
$ 70.00 bucks every 16 months.are you nuts or just rich ?
rvtips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 10:30 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvtips View Post
==============================================
$ 70.00 bucks every 16 months.are you nuts or just rich ?
You got it, I’m nuts.

Sheesh!

Your 3rd post here in 15 years and you use it to insult? Really?
Old 08-26-2021, 07:03 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Spray contact cleaner on both the male and female connectors on the cord, toad, and MH and plug and unplug them several times.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome