Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-16-2021, 08:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Flat Towing a VW Karmann Ghia

We are a newbie to the RV world. We have a 2018 View 24V and own a 68 VW Karmann Ghia that we are thinking to make it our toad. The VW was completely rebuilt and body is in A1 condition. Being only 1850 lb with standard transmission and with a EMPI VW tow bar it should be a easy tow for the MB Sprinter. Do I need to do anything other than rewire the body tail lights or add magnetic lights?

Any recommendations on towing, paint and body protection for the Ghia or experience's from other old VW bug toad owners?
OH Wilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 01:54 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

An auxilary braking system for the VW? Consider a different towbar that lends to easy connecting/disconnecting? Some kind of tow protection - I use a Protect-A-Tow.
Old 08-17-2021, 06:19 AM   #3
Site Team

I've got a TowMate remote light that we put on the back of our mini when towing. That way you don't need to mess with the wiring of the car. https://www.amazon.com/Lime-Light-Wi...s%2C344&sr=8-4 (You contact them when ordering and they will send the appropriate connector for the tow vehicle. We have a 7-pin adapter.)

As for the Tow-bar we use a Ready Brute Elite which has a cable to engage the car brakes. Mechanical connection requiring no electonics. Not sure about a base plate for the Ghai though. I'd really hate to mar up a classic with a tow-bar (always liked the Ghia's)!
Old 08-17-2021, 08:52 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I'm no expert but I suspect the Empi towbar is designed specifically for your Karmann Ghia and will fit with minimal modification. Other towbars require baseplates, which, if available for your KG, may require more modification than you're willing to do.

Given the relatively light weight of your KG, a braking system may not be required by law, depending on where you'll be towing. Requirements can as low as 1,000 lbs. Whether they're required or not, they're good insurance:

https://www.readybrake.com/state-towing-laws.html

There are different options for protecting your toad from body damage due to rocks, etc. but I haven't had any personal experience with them:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/toad...on-284851.html

Note that some of the options will only work with a particular tow bar.

All things considered, if I owned a classic in pristine condition like your's, I don't think I'd use it as a toad.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 04:12 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH Wilhelm View Post
We are a newbie to the RV world. We have a 2018 View 24V and own a 68 VW Karmann Ghia that we are thinking to make it our toad. The VW was completely rebuilt and body is in A1 condition. Being only 1850 lb with standard transmission and with a EMPI VW tow bar it should be a easy tow for the MB Sprinter. Do I need to do anything other than rewire the body tail lights or add magnetic lights?

Any recommendations on towing, paint and body protection for the Ghia or experience's from other old VW bug toad owners?
I strongly suggest a toe break with brake away. It may not be necessary but for me it is. I use Brake Buddy
68SILVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 04:24 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We used to flat tow an old VW Thing behind our MH using an EMPI tow bar. The Thing is the same chassis as the Ghia with a different body.

We had no problem with the EMPI tow bar. We used magnetic tow lights on the back of the car while towing. We did not use an additional braking system on the VW given its light weight.

As for protecting the Ghia there are products on the market from Roadmaster and others that you can look at.

Good luck! You will get a lot of attention driving the Ghia wherever you go!
Old 08-22-2021, 05:39 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We have 2018 Winne View 24J. We tow a 2009 VW Beetle(2850#) w/Blue Ox. We wired it with kit that came with harness, diodes and clips. Works fine so far.
Lmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 06:34 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

As a Karmann Giha owner the empi tow bar is the only way to go. No way to put base plates etc on ghe car. The main going to watch for is the hitch height as it is easy to get the tow bar to high when towing on inclines etc which will crush the front. Ghia's are much lower than beet,especially or "Things" Personally I would look at trailering it rather than 4 wheel down.
dmitchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 08:52 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

2009 Beetle is low as well. That why I use a split hitch. Blue Ox is designed to allow for up-down and side-to-side movement.
Lmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 10:21 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Ghia Towing

The EMPI tow bar will work fine. The cable actuated breaking systems are ideal. For my 1970 Beatle, I drilled a hole in the front bumper to mount the VW part of the cable, but for a Ghia, I would attach the cable connection to one of the bumper mounting brackets, to preserve the beauty of the Ghia front end. A single hole in the firewall behind the brake pedal completes the installation. I used Harbor Freight magnetic lights, with cable tie reinforcement. If you don’t have a bra for the Ghia, you should get one. It is the best protection for the front end. I have owned 2 Ghias and numerous bugs, and they are excellent tow vehicles.
donspinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 02:52 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I like the Ghia. I have a 1969 VW bug I sometimes tow. I used to tow it a lot and hardly knew it was back there except for the camera screen. I have the tow bar that fastens onto the axle tube. Once I left a drive way that was very much higher than the street and the two bars pressed into the underside of the body. It is not very noticeable at all. I'm now ready to sell it.
Old 08-23-2021, 03:57 AM   #12
Micro Minnie 1800BH

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitchem View Post
As a Karmann Giha owner the empi tow bar is the only way to go. No way to put base plates etc on ghe car. The main going to watch for is the hitch height as it is easy to get the tow bar to high when towing on inclines etc which will crush the front. Ghia's are much lower than beet,especially or "Things" Personally I would look at trailering it rather than 4 wheel down.
I think a car trailer is the best solution in this senario.
It avoids the wear and tear on the VW, lighting needs, supplemental braking and protects the toad from body/paint damage. Not to mention you can back up easily as you have a trailer unlike flat towing.

If the KG is 1800# and an average trailers is 1600-1700# the weight limits are within safe range.

I flat tow my 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk (4500# loaded) with my 2017 VJ and have no problems with the MH doing the task. I never exceed 60mph on a highway as we are at GCVW.
PWRving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 08:40 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH Wilhelm View Post

I towed a VW Bug and a VW Manx for years. Extremely easy to tow.
But I don’t understand why you would want to tow a Gina, it’s worth a small fortune and are very rare, as are all of the old VW models. I’ve seen “bugs” going for $60k+.
But it’s your choice. Good luck, and enjoy.
sherf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 09:15 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherf View Post
I towed a VW Bug and a VW Manx for years. Extremely easy to tow.
But I don’t understand why you would want to tow a Gina, it’s worth a small fortune and are very rare, as are all of the old VW models. I’ve seen “bugs” going for $60k+.
But it’s your choice. Good luck, and enjoy.

Ditto! A fully restored 1968 Classic Karmann Ghia is not a vehicle I would want to subject to the rigors of flat towing. With the NADA book value for one in good condition being between $30,000 and $40,000 depending on whether its the coupe or convertible and with this ones value since its been restored being potentially higher would not be my first consideration for flat towing.

If flat towed a braking system would be a must have not due to its weight or any State Laws but to protect the Ghia itself and everyone that could be harmed if it did break away.

Tags
tow, towing