Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-29-2021, 08:44 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Trailer pulling

Have never pulled a trailer with a motor home how much harder is it to pull a trailer. Know you can’t back up anymore but what about driving is there any major differences like when you turn. Thanks.
Kdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 08:50 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I pull an aluminum open car hauler behind my rig. It isn't any more complicated or difficult than towing a trailer behind a pickup truck or SUV - in my opinion. Not sure what you mean about not being able to back up. When you flat tow a vehicle behind an RV you can't back up. When you tow a trailer you CAN back up. I do it all the time. Cheers!
IOS 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 11:57 AM   #3
Site Team

You can back up a trailer behind your RV. What you can't back up is a flat-towed vehicle OR tow dolly.
Old 08-29-2021, 12:35 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Much of the way a trailer tracks behind the tow vehicle depends on how each is built.
If towing a trailer behind a car or pickup that has little body hanging out behind the wheels, the trailer will often just about track in the same tracks as the tow, but if it is an RV with lots more hanging out behind the wheels, things change a bit and you may have to watch closer on sharp cornering like when moving around in parking lots.

I think of the rear wheels as something of a "pivot point" or the fulcrum that the trailer is hooked to and that is what directs where it follows. Mostly they ride pretty well behind but it also pays to never pull into any space where you can't see where you come out on the other end, like pulling behind a building, thinking you will just drive around the back, ONLY TO FIND THE PATH IS BLOCKED WITH A BIG TRUCK UNLOADING! That right hand seat should always hold somebody to get out and go look first!!!

I try to swing wider if space is available but I still drew a line down the side of the tow car a few trips back when moving in a gas station and turning too sharp.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 02:31 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Can you be more specific about what you want to tow?
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 04:35 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I have a goldwing with a side car so I need a trailer to haul it.
Old 08-29-2021, 05:35 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Good, now a lot of motorcycle towing experts will chime in. You might want to see if you can get a moderator to change your title so it's specific to motorcycles.

The simple answer it won't be an issue but there may be some unique aspects about motorcycle trailers that will be nice to know.

In the meantime, you may find what you need here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Pull...4dUDCA8&uact=5
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 07:02 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I was sort of surprised at just how easy it was to back my 16' Aluma car hauler with the MH. Short trailers are always a pain it seems, it just takes a lot of patience sometimes.
Old 08-29-2021, 07:36 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

The driving part is going to be a matter of getting used to remembering there is something back there and then getting it hitched is a second problem to think about. Motorhomes tend to be higher than most cars/trucks, so to get the trailer to ride fairly level, it often requires a bit more thought on getting a drop hitch but that is a case where matching the two is needed and once setup, it drives the same.

It starts a little slower and stops slower but that is part your just know and learn to adapt.

A shorter tongue is likely compared to a boat trailer and that makes backing a little more difficult as short tongue makes the trailer go off sideways quicker on backing.
But a motorhome that is longer than the normal car also makes that less problem, so the combo make work out to be much the same as towing a boat trailer behind a car.

Tracking while going forward is not too much to learn as it just takes getting used to how far out one might need to swing for each combo of trailer/ RV.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 07:43 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

My goldwing has a two seater side car need something 84 inches wide