Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Welcome Mat
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-13-2023, 03:17 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Question Water leaking into cab of 2019 Outlook

Does anyone have experience with where this leak might be (that I might not be thinking of)? I suspect that it is one of the clearance lights over the top of the cab. It appears that they have been caulked several times, but the leak is still there (I bought the unit used).

I loosened the headliner and the plywood base for the over-cab bed seems damp; water drips on to the passenger seat and door. My best determination is that it seems to be running down and forward inside the roof of the over-cab and soaking into the plywood base of the over-cab bed (so it makes since that it could be the clearance lights).

However, I'm asking for ideas as to where else it is likely to be coming from (before I start scraping off all the calking on the lights). Maybe one of you have solved a similar leak before?
jimrussell90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 10:56 PM   #2
Site Team

Greetings Jim,
Winnebago has had trouble with leaks developing in the bunk area over the cab, so they developed the one-piece fiberglass cap that they mold onto the Minnie Winnies, but sadly not the Outlooks (see photo below.) So, anything that cap covers on a Minnie Winnie could be a source of the leak on your Outlook.
I recommend that you clean the potential leaking area(s) first with rubbing alcohol, and then use the sealants called-out by Winnebago, so as to maintain proper bonding with the existing sealants.
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	186956
Old 08-17-2023, 07:56 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks. Your info reinforces that I am looking in the right spots. I will order the sealant specified and go from there. I am focusing on the clearance lights first. Unfortunately, there is a lot of "unknown" sealant already applied by the previous owners that I am having difficulty removing (I think it is 100% silicone). I may break the lens getting it off and end up ordering new ones.
Old 08-17-2023, 08:11 AM   #4
Site Team

Look higher up for possible leaks on the sides of the cap, especially where the cap meets the body, both on top and on the sides. Water can travel a long way away from where it is entering before being visible at the point it actually appears.

The correct sealant is likely Manus Bond 75-AM, but NuFlex 311 or Hengs 311 should be fine and can be easier to work with.

I’d check here first:
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2023, 07:36 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I see no visual evidence of leaks in those areas. However, I think I will replace the caulk there anyway. I have the caulking on order.
Old 08-24-2023, 07:58 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I did find cracks and missing sealant in the areas you pointed out; thanks for your guidance. The clearance lights also are missing gaskets. I thought I would replace the lights and install new gaskets. However, after removing the screws, the lights will only about 1/4 inch out from the cap. I grabbed the wires with needle nose pliers and tried to pull them out further. The resistance is such that I was afraid I might break the wires and not be able to retrieve them. Do you know if the wires might be tied in a knot inside the cap? Do you have any guidance on how to get the wires out far enough to splice on new clearance lights? Maybe they are really just that short?!
Old 08-24-2023, 08:16 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrussell90 View Post
Do you know if the wires might be tied in a knot inside the cap? Do you have any guidance on how to get the wires out far enough to splice on new clearance lights? Maybe they are really just that short?!
I would guess there is sprayed hard shell insulation on the back of the lights and on the wires. That’s what we see in other Winnebagos.

Tags
leak, water, water leak