Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-18-2022, 09:12 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Onan generator leaking oil into air filter compartment

When I recently changed the air filter (still waiting on a replacement I ordered last week) in my Onan QG 2800, which is underneath my 2015 Trend 23B, I noticed that there was significant oil in the air filter compartment, so much that it had leaked out of that compartment. We store the Trend in our garage, which leans forward at about a 15 degree angle (i.e., the front is lower than the rear). When I've been dutifully exercising the generator every month, I've been operating it right where it is, but I'm wondering whether this is causing oil to blow into the air filter compartment. I would appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.
Trend_Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 05:41 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

There is some interesting info if you google Onan generator blow by. Good luck, Travato John
TravatoJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 01:36 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravatoJohn View Post
There is some interesting info if you google Onan generator blow by. Good luck, Travato John
Thanks. I'll do that.
Old 02-20-2022, 01:27 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravatoJohn View Post
No one says anything about blow by occurring from operating the generator at a tilt, but it seems that a bad breather valve or a partially clogged carburetor is the most likely culprit.
Old 02-24-2022, 03:36 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

When my generator was serviced, the oil filter gasket got out of place (wrinkled or something) and the oil leaked out. The way I discovered it was, the generator shut off and after restarting it, it shut off again. The oil stick registered no oil. Upon investigating the situation, I found the oil was leaking from the oil filter. Removing the oil filter and replacing it with a new filter and seal solved the problem. I'm thankful the generator engine shut off when the oil was low. Otherwise, I'd be buying a new generator.
Old 02-24-2022, 02:39 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Walker View Post
When my generator was serviced, the oil filter gasket got out of place (wrinkled or something) and the oil leaked out. The way I discovered it was, the generator shut off and after restarting it, it shut off again. The oil stick registered no oil. Upon investigating the situation, I found the oil was leaking from the oil filter. Removing the oil filter and replacing it with a new filter and seal solved the problem. I'm thankful the generator engine shut off when the oil was low. Otherwise, I'd be buying a new generator.
I'm glad you fixed the issue. However, my generator has no oil filter, so that's not the source of the leak.

Tags
generator, leak, onan