Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Welcome Mat
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-23-2023, 11:59 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Cool Hello! New RVer, New Vista 29NP!

Hello all! We are super happy to have joined the RVing community and my family and I are excited to start using it.

I picked up our RV last weekend and spent hours going through the walk through! Wow. Lots to learn!

I was super nervous driving it home! And yes I'm still cringing because I managed to put a "ding" into the front bumper! Yikes. I have no idea how it happened... but it did. I assume in a construction zone a larger loose piece of gravel got me. Didn't hear it. Didn't feel it. But I do know how to fix it!

The other fun thing that happened... (Did I mention that I'm totally new to this???) Was the dealer filled up the fresh water tanks for me but by the time I got home (~100mi) my gray AND black water tanks were full, my fresh water tank was empty and water was pouring out of the water service basement compartment and a couple of other storage compartments were wet!

I have no idea what I did (or didn't do) to cause this! I have read the manual 10x over and checked the valves... the only thing I noticed was that I had the water pump turned on while we drove and the manual says not to do that... So, maybe that is it? Don't understand why...? Would love to hear other theories!!! We are going on a shake down camping trip next weekend with our neighbors that are pros, but I'm hoping to get this behind us before our trip!

Thank you in advance and nice to "meet" you!

Hollis.
hollisms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 03:29 PM   #2
Site Team

Greetings Hollis,
I know that it is well advised to shut-off your hot water heater while underway, as the wind whipping-by the motorhome at 60mph can cause the flames to lap at wiring inside the heater, such as the ignition sensor wire.
I leave my water pump switched-on while underway, but I do use an intelligent water pump controller which will shut-off the pump should the fresh water tank run dry. I hope folks on this forum can help-out here with your water transfer problem. I have reviewed your Owner's Manual, and I am stumped as well.
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Old 08-23-2023, 04:12 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I appreciate the response! I hope it turns out to be me doing something stupid rather than a legit issue. I’m probably going to dump the tanks and see if I can recreate it…. Man I hope there is only fresh water in the tanks or I’m going to be in trouble!!! Too soon to be cousin Eddie.
Old 08-23-2023, 04:43 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

One of the first big things to learn is going to sound really cynical but I feel it is true in many cases!
First thought is to never fully trust an RV dealer to both know what they are doing and to actually do it right!

So that leaves me wondering on a basic point when they gave you a full tank of water???

Did they actually go through a good process to sterilize the new tank, lines, etc. or did they give you a tank that has all kinds of potential junk and polluted water to possibly let your kids get a drink out of the faucet?
Step one of RV is to KNOW that things are done right and that often means DIY!
Step two is to read the directions and make sure before trusting!
So there should be a section in the owners manual telling you how to do a bleach cleaning of the tank, lines, pump, etc. to sterilize for safe to drink.
That is about the only way to know the water is safe to drink! Think what may have grown in a tank with a few inches of water, setting for months in the summer time and not being fully cleaned! YUCK!
Dealer should be shot for setting you up for that surprise!

But moving on to leaks and full tanks? It is not likely the black and grey were actually both full to run over, using the fresh water tank only as it is only a 70 gallon tank trying to fill a 61 and 40 grey and black tank set! There are also overflow drains to underneath on both!
But if the wrong valves were left open, it can certainly leak enough to look like a full blown flood after it runs around a bit!
But to find out what and where, it will go better if you let it dry a bit and check a few valves first before filling the fresh water tank again. It's hard to tell where water is coming from if everything is already wet and RV do have some special tricky things to figure in when looking! Water can leak from a tube, land on a tank and run 6 feet to the side before coming out where we spot it, so be alert for tricks! You may park the RV on a different slope the next day and think you have a different leak as it comes out at a different spot! But that is not a current worry and not too often a problem, just something to mention to keep alert!

One first step to sorting the problem might be to assure the black and grey tank valves are both closed as that is the ONLY connection between the two that should get water from the fresh to them both! For safety, potable water and waste tanks are never connected except where water runs down the drains! Water has to go in the drain to get into the tanks.

When dealing with a new RV, there is a great online site to look over what we have and study things like the plumbing.
An interactive setup that lets you see different sections like drains and turn the RV all around to actually see where the lines run and it is super nice to use combined with the owners manual! The manual may tell you briefly to close a valve---but not fully WHERE that valve is found, under a bed, in an outside compartment or WHERE, so we can look at the drawings to spot the drains and valves!

Big hint when looking? The drains are about the only thing that shows as a tube hanging out the bottom and open, so look back along the line for a valve to open/close!
Click this example to get an idea of what you can learn as it reallly is worth doing the learning curve of how to look around the RV without crawling under!
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

Click image for larger version

Name:	valvedr.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	279.4 KB
ID:	187061

The drain lines I've marked in red are semi-easy to spot but the valve can be six feet away, so look back along the line for a valve to open! when you click on the valve, it will popup in the list at right to tell you what part you've found or find a part in the list and click it to highlight the item in yellow on the drawing? Lots of good info to sort out where and what you have!

But for the current problem of the black and grey together, it is likely the big main drain valves are open to allow the water to run in one tank and get to the other! Then leaking into the compartments may mean the cap at the oulet is not on tight!
Maybe they were goofy enough to also "GIVE" you a grey tank half full and not close the valves well?
Click for better view!
Click image for larger version

Name:	tanks.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	187062

We can spot which tank is black becasue the stool goes direct into it!
There is a black tank drain and then also a grey tank drain, both of which should be kept closed except to dump.
Then there should be a cap on the output as a final item to keep it all from dripping out in the compartment!
Sounds like both black and grey valves may be open as well as the cap not holding well, so check first??

Giving you tanks with content and sending you down the road without making sure the valves were closed? YUP! Dealers may do that !
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 05:46 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for all of the info! I really appreciate the time you spent! I love the CAD they make available! I totally understand your DIY comment and I’m onboard!

I had not thought about the water quality they gifted me! That is a great point!

I had not thought about the tanks mixing at the Y. I will definitely go back and look at that again. Good suggests on the dump valves too…. They look closed but I need to make sure they are closed. I guess when I take off the cap I will know!

Thank you again!
Old 08-23-2023, 06:56 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

AArgh!
Please do stand back and ease it off as there is a lot of big pipe behind that cap and it may be really ready to get out of there!

A tip a fellow showed me may help?
First try to make sure both valves are closed as much as they will.
If you tank a big trash bag, etc and cut a hole in the bottom to slip over the cap and maybe tie it on, you can then put the open end of the bag in a five gallon bucket to catch anything that comes out.
Then when you feel ready you can still grab the cap, through the bag, and ease it loose enough to start draining the pipe gradually into the bag and into the bucket so that it is more controlled.
It takes a bit of luck on holding the cap tight enough to not let it slip out of your hand and get fully open as the pipe may have more than a five gallon bucket can hold! That can get UGLY!

Note?
This is NOT something that we RV folks do all the time, so save it for emergency use only! Who knows, maybe it's already drained and not much left in the pip or tanks?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 12:58 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Well, gray & black valves were closed and I safely took off the cap and nothing was there other than a little moisture. So...

I'm trying to find the drains at the back of the RV. I want to put something there that will let me know if water drains out. A siphon condition could explain the emptying of the fresh water tank, but not the filling of the gray/black tanks... So, still a bit stumped and now just trying to figure out how to capture what happens if it happens again.
Old 08-26-2023, 01:38 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Well, I found at least part of the problem! The elbow for the fresh water feed from the tank into the pump is broken!
Old 08-26-2023, 09:19 PM   #9
Site Team

That, coupled with black & grey tanks which were never emptied from the dealer, would explain everything.
Eagle5