Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Welcome Mat
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-26-2020, 02:54 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

New 2020 Minnie Winnie 22R - First Time Owner

I've been researching RVs for about the past two years, and was having a hard time deciding between the the various Class Bs (Travato, Solis, Revel, etc.), and the Minnie Winnie 22R/22M. So, as noted in the title, decided to go with the 22R. For the two of us, it just looked like the right mix of size and amenities. We bought it around mid-May, and took advantage of a very good sale price. At the end of the day, I just felt the 22R was a good value for the price. I also think we'll be a bit more comfortable, than any of the Class Bs. The 22M was tempting - especially with the slide-out queen bed, but alas the 22R deal just couldn't be beat.

In those two years of searching, I have done a lot of reading about the operation and features, but I'm finding there are a number of beginner things I'm discovering from experience. That said, I hope it's okay to post some of those beginner questions, and along the way hope to contribute to the forums.
Harvester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 03:15 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi Harvester,
The 22M is a great Motorhome. Congratulations on getting a good deal.
Eagle5
Old 06-26-2020, 07:09 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

The Class Bs are too cramped for my bones. The 22R will be a nice compromise as are all things RV. The Ford chassis is very reliable so you don't have to worry about breaking down and if you do run into any trouble, it is comparatively easy to find service and parts. Shouldn't be a lot of maintenance on the "house" but keep Forest City in mind if you are ever out that way. We live about 90 minutes North (Twin Cities MN) and utilize the service center when we need service on our 2018 31D.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 07:55 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

The chassis was actually a significant consideration. At first I fretted about the gas mileage, but when I heard of people getting over 200,000 miles on the Triton engine that was quite appealing. After taking delivery, I actually like the sound and feeling of the engine. It feels solid. I'm hearing however that the E-350/E-450 will be getting the new 7.3L V8 in 2021. The 2020 Minnie Winnie, I'm told by the RV dealer, was the last year for the Triton 6.8L V-10.

At some point, I am planning a trip to Forest City. I'd like to get the Winnebago factory tour, and may stop at Lictsinn RV to get a couple mods done.
Harvester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 08:47 PM   #5
Site Team

Hi again Harvester,
Do not worry about missing-out on the new V-8. Yes, it will be better, but sometimes an introductory year has recall issues. The V-10 works well, and is now very reliable. The six-speed transmission will not change for 2021, so your mileage will be about the same with either drive train. The big thing you did was to get a significant discount on the price, which I believe you won't be able to get on the 2021.
I heard this morning on Fox Business that RV sales are up +300%. I cannot confirm that, but typically, when demand goes up, so too does the price. Also, you get to use your new 22R right away.
Thanks, Eagle5
P.S. I remember in the first few years of production, the V-10 had a serious problem with it, where the spark plugs could blow-out of the cylinder head. I'll never forget a family coming into South Bend with a big Class A with the new Triton engine, pulled-off to the side of the road and dead in the water. The vehicle had to be towed away.
Old 06-27-2020, 12:07 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvester View Post
The chassis was actually a significant consideration. At first I fretted about the gas mileage, but when I heard of people getting over 200,000 miles on the Triton engine that was quite appealing. After taking delivery, I actually like the sound and feeling of the engine. It feels solid. I'm hearing however that the E-350/E-450 will be getting the new 7.3L V8 in 2021. The 2020 Minnie Winnie, I'm told by the RV dealer, was the last year for the Triton 6.8L V-10.

At some point, I am planning a trip to Forest City. I'd like to get the Winnebago factory tour, and may stop at Lictsinn RV to get a couple mods done.

You will love the factory tour. Lots of great trivia and other good information.

If you ever get near Elkart, IN, be sure to visit the RV museum there.