Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2021, 02:16 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

26P Sightseer steering drift

Hi all...we just purchased our first RV a 2006 Sightseer 26P. I have noticed it seems to have a fair amount of drift in the handling as I travel down the Interstate. I do have an appointment to get it aligned and hopefully that will help. Do you have any other ideas of things to try?

We are looking forward to hitting the road for weekend and longer trips!
The Ermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 12:04 AM   #2
Site Team

Hello to The Ermal,
You can check-out the threads for handling Sightseer, and see what others have done to improve handling.
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
When the wind of the mountain blows you around,
Be sure to be cautious; be sure to slow down,
Your Sightseer can drift or drive straight as can be,
The Ermal of RVs, a 26P.
Old 09-23-2021, 04:16 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Wow that is a wonderful reply! You put some thought into that for sure! So when wandering we go
Slow down we must
For we want for sure to know
Our trip won’t be a bust!
Old 09-23-2021, 08:51 AM   #4
Site Team

The usual first improvement made to help that wandering motorhome is the addition of a Steering Stabilizer. Several companies makes them, Roadmaster, Safe-T-Plus and Blue Ox.

They are basically a large shock absorber that is attached to your steering rod and the chassis to control the effects of road crown, wind, truck push and other such problems.

They usually cost approximately $400 plus installation though some folks install them themselves.

They are highly effective for wandering but cannot provide any help for body tilt or rough ride. Those issues require other suspension enhancements.
Old 09-23-2021, 09:47 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thank you! I assume I should go to an RV service center for that.
Old 09-23-2021, 10:16 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ermal View Post
Wow that is a wonderful reply! You put some thought into that for sure!
So when wandering we go
Slow down we must
For we want for sure to know
Our trip won’t be a bust!
Not too bad poetry yourself! Yes, I looked up the meaning of your moniker:
Ermal is an Albanian masculine given name, which means wind of the mountain.
I think "Weird Al" Yankovic is an inspiration to me. I have written a few parody poems. Oh the hobbies we pick-up after retirement, right?
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 09-23-2021, 11:44 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I am impressed with your looking up Ermal. It is a family name and no one is quite sure why it is. But it’s part of family heritage! Do you have any helpful advice for a new motor home owner? Any you wish you had known when you were starting out?
Old 09-23-2021, 01:13 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Thank you! I assume I should go to an RV service center for that.
We’ll, maybe, you’ll learn quickly to try to avoid RV dealer Service centers. First, they’ll not have any openings for 1 - 2 months. Then they’ll keep your RV for another month or so and then they’ll over charge you… IF they do the work requested.

Any Truck alignment shop can install this or even any pickup or Jeep upgrade shop.

Order the part for your RV model/chassis online then find an independent shop to install it. Easy peasy.
Old 09-23-2021, 02:40 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
I am impressed with your looking up Ermal. It is a family name and no one is quite sure why it is. But it’s part of family heritage! Do you have any helpful advice for a new motor home owner? Any you wish you had known when you were starting out?
I believe this forum is a great resource, and so too is the site-search box at the top. I would recommend that you look through your Owner's Manual. Sometimes, something that seems to be broken is just because a required safety interlock is not in-place. For example, my awning will not deploy unless I have the parking brake set. I like a Departure Checklist (here is my example.) Obviously, this list needs to be customized for each individual, and kept brief; sort of like a pre-flight checklist. Another thing is when I'm using the Eagle5 for a quick day trip, I might just have it plugged into 120 VAC, so I put a "Remove Before Flight" Key Chain on the transmission selector handle; just so I don't forget to unplug the power before I drive off (loop it back through the key chain holder into a circle to keep it on the selector handle.) With a smaller motorhome, it is sometimes easy to forget it isn't the family wagon, and the thing is plugged-in! I will never admit that I ever did this!!!
You can also check the posts of other owners of your motorhome to see what threads they have started. Using mine as an example, you would click on <Eagle5> then <Statistics> and finally <Find all threads started by Eagle5>.
You should have a surge protector for your shore power, and a pressure regulator for your water. If your tires are the original tires, you might consider having a tire shop check them for safety. Because your vehicle is approaching eighteen years old, the original rubber may no longer be safe. Finally, I would use two of the new generation battery maintainers; one for the coach and another for the house. I am pretty sure that in 2006, the automatic charger installed in the Winnebagos isn't designed for house battery long-term maintenance.
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 10-04-2021, 04:04 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thank you!

Thank you for the ideas and suggestions! The list to follow before moving on while camping is very useful! We took it out for two nights this past week...had a 30 amp service site with no water and no sewer. All went well...I have a learning curve when it comes to the manual awning...but it worked and I remembered to lower one end for when it rained. We found some things we want to get and our dog is still trying to figure out how to gracefully climb the stairs but it was a great shake down cruise. And the handling seemed much better...of course there was hardly any wind. I do wish it got better gas mileage of course...but I kind of knew that was going to be a concern going in. Anyway...thanks again for everything! Oh, we do have a solar powered recharger for the the house batteries...do we need or should we have the battery maintainer as well?
Old 10-04-2021, 04:58 PM   #11
Site Team

Hi Ermal,
Step Huggers For RV Landings (8"x23½" & 10"x23½") are a great addition for the dog's feeling of stability as they get into or out of the motorhome.
I have two group 24 lead acid batteries for the house, and that is fine for my uses. South Bend has long periods of time without much sunshine, so I don't count on solar power for anything.
The key with any maintenance charger for lead acid batteries is to back-off on the charging once it is fully charged. A typical voltage you should read for maintenance is about 13.05 Volts. If your solar panel is keeping the maintenance voltage above that, then I would not leave it running unattended.
Thanks, Eagle5

Tags
sightseer, steering