Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2013, 06:19 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Jacks Down light while driving '12 Vista 26P

I own a 2012 Vista 26P. It first occurred last year when we were driving on a rough interstate in Massachusetts. An alarm sounded and I noticed my "Jacks Down" light was on ... needless to say I became extremely concerned and quickly pulled over in the break down shoulder and examined to see if my jacks were down or coming down ... Nothing!!! After a while the alarm would stop and a short while later, when the road got smoother the light would go out.

This kept occurring on rough roads and even though I ignored it, I was still bothered by it. When I got home I took it to my dealer and he said he couldn't reproduce the problem.

On the road right now and it's again beginning to happen frequently on rough roads. Very alarming to say the least.

Has anyone experienced this? I'm thinking maybe a loose connection or a short. Maybe a faulty switch, etc. When we get home again I'm going to request that they replace the components. Any ideas? Thanks
Old 06-03-2013, 06:43 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I haven't had this problem but would suggest you try this. In a safe place with the jacks up and ignition on, crawl under the MH and pull down on on each jack. Shake them slightly as we'll and see if you reproduce the alarm. I know the dealer should have done something similar but just in case. In addition I would use a rubber mallet and bang on the bottom of the jacks. If you can get the alarm to go off you can then reproduce it for the dealer.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:05 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

This happened years ago, on our previous rig, and Adventure. This quickly raised the pucker factor, and I too, pulled over. None of the jacks appeared to be down, thank goodness, but I went thru the prodedure of storing them, and the light went off.

Upon arrival to our destination, I called HWH, to discuss what happened. They asked if when storing the jacks, when I saw the light go off, did I then press the power off button on the jacks control panel, and I said yes, I do that. They told me not to do that, but to let the jacks logic circuit turn the power off when it was ready.

So I have been following that procedure ever sence, but on thhat motorhome, and on my current one, which also uses HWH jacks. I have never had that problem again. So, it could be that you need to let the system turn itself off when raising the jacks, or, it could be something else, such as an out of adjustment sensor. HWH can help you diagnose, if this doesn't.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:14 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Most of the time on problems like this, the oil level in the jack's reservoir is low. Check the oil level and add if necessary,

I had that problem a few years back, and the oil level was low.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:20 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I'm not sure if our HWH systems are the same? ....but on our system this a normal occurrence when we encounter rough road.

The " springs" retract the jacks so as you drive it is not uncommon for a jack to rattle loose from the fully retracted position...this causes the alarm to activate. If you leave the system "active" in the "store" position ....the springs will quickly correct the problem and the alarm will stop.

This may not be the perfect technical analysis of the problem, but suffice to say it is not uncommon on our system ( which is functioning just fine) for the alarm to activate when we hit some rough road or a bump and the easy solution is to leave the system "on" in the store position.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:27 AM   #6
JC2
Winnie-Wise

After the jacks have retracted, we press the store button when running down the road as heat, rough roads, weak springs might cause them to drop slightly activating the alarm. Checking the fluid level is also a good idea just in case.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:31 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the input. Right now we're in an RV Park in Moab, Utah and when we get ready to leave in a couple of days I'll try some of the suggestions.

Meanwhile, please keep the information flowing ... Thanks
Old 06-03-2013, 08:39 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

For sure the reservoir is low, happened to me twice. Note it is not oil but I think break fluid, should be in your owners manual book.
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I to have had it happen and my springs on one of the jacks are a little weak so I just put my foot under the jack and it went up another quarter inch and is well...jeff
Old 06-03-2013, 10:49 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

+1 on low fluid. The low fluid and rougher road is probably causing very slight movement, triggering the alarm.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:47 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

We had exactly the same motorhome and exactly the same problem. Camp[ing world tech found that a magnet in the fluid reservoir was installed incorrectly, and this caused the problem. He moved the magnet, and problem went away completely.
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:05 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

The fluid in my system is ATF, not brake fluid. Being just a tad low will activate the jacks down alarm, been there, done that.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:45 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rream View Post
For sure the reservoir is low, happened to me twice. Note it is not oil but I think break fluid, should be in your owners manual book.
IT IS NOT ''BREAK FLUID'' or even brake fluid.

fluid sold by hwh is un-colored dexron 3.
regular red dexron 3 transmission fluid will work just fine although it will stain whatever it touches red when the system leaks.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:52 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Had same with 2012 30t. It was a bad sensor. Replaced and fixed.
cpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:43 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBill View Post
This happened years ago, on our previous rig, and Adventure. This quickly raised the pucker factor, and I too, pulled over. None of the jacks appeared to be down, thank goodness, but I went thru the prodedure of storing them, and the light went off.

Upon arrival to our destination, I called HWH, to discuss what happened. They asked if when storing the jacks, when I saw the light go off, did I then press the power off button on the jacks control panel, and I said yes, I do that. They told me not to do that, but to let the jacks logic circuit turn the power off when it was ready.

So I have been following that procedure ever sence, but on thhat motorhome, and on my current one, which also uses HWH jacks. I have never had that problem again. So, it could be that you need to let the system turn itself off when raising the jacks, or, it could be something else, such as an out of adjustment sensor. HWH can help you diagnose, if this doesn't.
I have a 2013 26HE, so i think we have the same jack system. I also had the same problem, and CaptBill's advice is spot-on. I let the system turn itself off now and have never had the the jack light turn on while on the road since.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:18 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBill View Post
My motorhome does the same thing at least once on every outing. I do know that I don't press the power button on the control panel after the jacks have cycled up, so there must be something more to the story in my case.

I'm going to check the fluid level, as some have suggested... otherwise, it might be a wire-grounding issue. -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:40 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Just in case not mentioned. Had an 2000 Adventurer w/hwh. When starting out on cold morning and warming up on road, the alarm would go off. HWH said that in those cases the fluid expanded when getting warm, and extended jacks a little. Went to side of road and retracted to stop problem.
nsdienes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:51 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacmat View Post
Most of the time on problems like this, the oil level in the jack's reservoir is low. Check the oil level and add if necessary,

I had that problem a few years back, and the oil level was low.
Times 2, I noticed it also when cornering, low fluid. JMHO.
david g.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:44 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

The manual for my Vista 26P says to use Automatic Transmission Fluid, Dexron II or Mercon. After I retracted the jacks the fluid level appears to be full. It was hard to see cause the fill line appears to be on the back or the reservoir.

Drove from Moab to Vegas and the jacks down light came on a couple of times when I hit rough roads again ...

My Leveling System Control Panel basically has an ON/OFF, AUTO, MAN, and Retract ALL JACKS switches. Plus Front, Rear, Right, Left indicators. My procedure is: ON and AUTO when lowering my jacks. When level I press the OFF button. Then I press ON and Retract ALL JACKS until the "Jacks Down" light goes OFF. I then press the ON/OFF switch to OFF.

Some have said that they allow the system to turn itself off? We'll be home in a few days and I will be discussing with my dealer all the great information that you have all shared. Thanks for your help.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:19 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

You could go to manual and the hold jacks retract button until all are up.
cpoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks