Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2010, 06:55 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Vista or Sunstar Owners' Feedback 26P or 30W

After many months of searching for a new RV and weighing the merits of size, fuel and manufacturer, I have narrowed my choice to a WBO Vista or Itasca Sunstar. Because the rig will be used primarily by one person, for work and leisure travel to out of the way/small campgrounds, for trips up to a month. I am leaning toward the 26P or 30w (more storage, but less wardrobe). Looking at new or used.

Any Vista or Sunstar owners out there who can share their experiences with these rigs? Would you buy one again? Any common issues, particularly in earlier 2006 to 2010 models? What are you achieving in terms of MPG? Thanks so much for any insights you might offer!

Guido
11595gulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:44 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Hi Guido---In April we did the same thing. We were downsizing from three larger diesel motorhomes and wanted something smaller, less expensive to operate and could still feel comfortable in for 5 months in the winter. We wanted to stay around that 30' size and looked at the 26' and 30' Vistas and Sunstars. We liked the ride and size of both but thought the 30W had a lot more storage over the 26'.

We could not get any of our local dealers to work with us on price on the 30W and ended up purchasing from a large dealer in Texas. They had a Sunstar advertized on an RV website. It was a new 2009 30B Sunstar (one slide) and we purchased it sight unseen. So far we are very happy with the coach and have found that it has very good storage in and out. We made the hanging closet (small) work for us by using flat storage bins in the deep overheads in the bedroom. We are also storing extra clothing in bins in the outside 'trunk' at the rear. After a lot of research I found that the Ford Chassis made significant changes in 2008. See this site:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/specialty_vehicles/Motorhome_Class_A.asp

We are pleased with the power of the Ford and the Tow/Hall transmission feature. My 2009 had a 2008 chassis under it. The Ford rides a little rough on rough roads and I am running tire pressure at 80lbs--not the 90 on the sidewall, which helps the ride. The Goodyear chart says I could run it lower but, for now I will keep it at 80. Mileage seems to be in that 7-8 range pulling a Honda CRV.

The 2010 did offer more options that I would have liked but we seem to be getting along just fine with this one. We have taken two 1,000 mile trips so far and are happy with the coach.

Good luck with whatever you decide. John
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 06:44 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Winnebago 26p

John,

Thanks so much for your feedback. I ended up special ordering the 26p and hope it works out for me. Came down to a decision between a Via and Vista 30w. Really wanted to make the Via work for the diesel/MPG and upgrades, but just too small and Vista 30W probably a little bit too big. Maybe I will be looking for something bigger one day, but since I'm looking for 1 to 4 week trips, this seems just fine. Also like the mobility and access that you have with a smaller class A.

Really surprised by the differences in prices from dealer to dealer. Like you we had to go out of state. I just can't imagine what you would end of paying if you didn't do your homework and shop dealerships. But, I guess some people think that 10 to 20% off MSRP is a great deal.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:46 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

What a nice Christmas present!! Congratulations! I think you will be very happy with your decision. Enjoy and Happy New Year!! John
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 02:25 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido
John,

Thanks so much for your feedback. I ended up special ordering the 26p and hope it works out for me. Came down to a decision between a Via and Vista 30w. Really wanted to make the Via work for the diesel/MPG and upgrades, but just too small and Vista 30W probably a little bit too big. Maybe I will be looking for something bigger one day, but since I'm looking for 1 to 4 week trips, this seems just fine. Also like the mobility and access that you have with a smaller class A.

Really surprised by the differences in prices from dealer to dealer. Like you we had to go out of state. I just can't imagine what you would end of paying if you didn't do your homework and shop dealerships. But, I guess some people think that 10 to 20% off MSRP is a great deal.
I am looking for the same rig and wondered how you like it? I was looking at the one with the bench sofa instead of the dinette.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:38 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
John,

Guido,

Would like to hear how you like the rig.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:16 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Good choice - you will love it once you make it yours

We too wanted a smaller rig and mostly go camping in out of the way back roads
The 8.1L engine has plenty of power - Tows a Jeep and boats much of the time
I spent the first year or so making it mine - changing / improving dozens of things
Bit dissapointed with the construction quality but reading about other folks issues we have not had any "major" problems to speak of except the rear cap coming loose
Limited counter space in the kitchen, added a flip up counter, Fantastic Fans, 270 watt PV solar system, accumulator tank in the fresh water system, TPMS system, Proper thermostat, Tossed the POC stock radio in the trash, Upgraded the single stage converter, and at least 50 to 60 other things

We love it now - perfect size for us

Gas mileage anywhere from 6 to 10mph saw 12mph once when we have hours of downhill and no wind
Old 08-20-2011, 09:07 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Couple just parked next us this week end. Winny Rally. They have a new Vista. We took tour. Very nice inside. Could hAd been choice for us. Had Wiiny had them when we bought the Aspect.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:25 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Six months and about 5,000 miles later overall happy with my 26p. The floor plan works out great and plenty of storage space for me (but I travel lightly). This is my first RV, but have driven buses and other commercial vehicles and the biggest adjustment has been dealing with wind and passing trucks--helped somewhat by aftermarket anti-sway bar, maybe 30%.

Although no major problems, finish work was a little disappointing--three window valences detached, plate over battery disconnect switches popped off--very thin wood behind--dealer reinforced it, door needed adjustment, trim strip on outside was overstretched and about 5" too short--replaced and repainted, bolt/door not adjusted correctly (kept locking me out) a few latches on drawers broken and needed replacement. And of course after having all repaired under warranty, the next day one of the levelers wouldn't retract (finally did), tv antenna turning control broken, and steps sticking and hesitating--don't know what that's about--but back to the dealer.

As for mods, put external antenna for 4G outside and wireless router, crossfires for duals, and that's about it. Interesting in exploring LEDs lights, solar panels, and while I have the Jensen radio radio/DVD unit, it is the most unintuitive unit I have ever owned. As for the TV, I had to have the dealer run the HD cable down from the TV--only satellite component cables were run through the side panel (I use HD TV for HD video cam and as external monitor for computer).

Anyway, as long as I can get these new issues fixed, I think I will be happy. I was at the dealer at had one more look at the Vias and Views, and while I admit a little envy for the diesel/mileage advantages, and the more upscale interiors, I just love having more space--makes all the difference to me.

Been running about 7 mpg. I drive around 70 mph with cruise on interstate, but could probably do better if I slowed down a bit. Cruise control seems to redline whenever I have any hills.

Glad to hear others' experiences. Wish we had a Vista owners group.

Guido
2011 Winnebago Vista 26p
11595gulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:00 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Big thing is to use the cruse only in the flat lands. I seldom use mine here in the TN. hills. Always some little things to be tweaked on a new RV.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:07 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I've driven my SunStar 26P 10k miles in the first year I've owned her. I too had to have the door adjusted so it would close properly. After 3 shops could not get the front slide adjusted where it would not fault on closing, I went to the factory where they fixed it in a couple of hours. The front TV bracket rattled but lock-tight on the re-tightened bolts fixed that. This is my 4th RV and I am very happy with my purchase. It came stuffed with plenty of options, so I've made few consequential changes. Plenty of storage, the satelite in-motion works great, and I like the interior and exterior finishes. I had to make some adjustments to lane position since my previous MHs were 96" exterior width. I run 85 psi in the tires. At 60 mph I am getting 8 mpg while towing. I like the performance of the Tow/Haul feature.

This forum has been so useful in helping me address any minor issues and gain information on those yet to come!
iRV-in-a-SunStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:00 AM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasnealy View Post
I am looking for the same rig and wondered how you like it? I was looking at the one with the bench sofa instead of the dinette.
Hi, where did you get the best price? I want to buy locally if I can, however, it sounds like you got a great deal Thanks
chiroman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:22 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
John,

Hello, Guido,

We bought a Vista 26P back in June. We, too, like the size and features........nice little coach compared to our larger, diesel powered Vectra. But our new coach wanders all over the road making driving very stressful. How does yours drive?

Bunny
bunny2448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:17 AM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

2012 Sunstar 26P

Just joined this website - wanted to give some feedback on this new unit - purchased June, 2012.

Just took it to dealer again yesterday. The "stops" for the hood fell off - apparently, they are glued in place! Dealer needs to order some special glue from factory to "glue" them back on.

Yesterday, 62 degrees, sunny. ALL window coverings in place including the windshield. By end of day, 80 degrees inside! Is there no insulation in this unit?

I would not recommend this unit to anyone. We have 5026 miles on it and are trying to find a dealer that will take it on a trade!
bwaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:01 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Finally happy again!

After many probs with our 2011 Vista 26p, most of which had to do with the scary way it handled......felt like it was driving us, we were able to trade it in on a 2012 Itasca Cambria 30C. We were totally honest with our dealer, being certain to tell all the probs with that coach so that we would not be held liable if it caused any accidents (which it did not long after we got rid of it!!). Our new RV is a pleasure to drive and offers us lots of comfort and enjoyment. We definitely do NOT recommend the Vista 26P based on our time with it.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:40 PM   #16
Site Team

We love our 26HE, the latest incarnation of the 26P. Very happy on the road and at camp. I wish it was a little quieter on some roads, but I have no handling issues, and I love the power, storage capacity, and features of the coach. I think I am sold on Winnebago quality for life, though I am sorry to hear about the two posts above this one.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:57 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Very happy to know that some RVers are enjoying their Vista. I'm certain that our horrible experiences with the 26-footer we had was unique. Still, having had so many bad times with it and not being able to use it for any real trips, we are much more at ease with our newer coach. We are still really upset that our Vista caused us so much unhappiness during the 8 months we owned it and just want others to beware!
Old 04-28-2013, 06:44 PM   #18
Winnebago Watcher

Exclamation Issues with the 2012 26P Sunstar

Would we recommend it - never! It is like a tin can - temperature outside was 62 degrees last week - and sunny. Inside - with all the shades down and the curtains around the front window closed - temperature 80 Degrees! There must be no insulation in this rig.

I was closing it up to go home - a guy walking by notice the "hood" was partially up. When I opened it, one of the "stops" that hold the hood fell off! It is "glued" in place! Can't imagine that. Took it to the dealer (it is a 2012 purchased June, 2012.) He has to order the special "glue" to put it back on!

We traded down from a 37 foot to this 27 foot - what a huge mistake. There are so many things that are wrong with this unit, it would take too much of this page to list.

We are actively trying to find a dealer that will take it on a trade - and a unit that offers some degree of quality. This is an entry level unit - someone who has never had a quality machine would think it is fine.

If anyone is interested, it has 5,020 miles on it - under warrantly for another few months. Everything is currently working - except for the "stop" that needs to be glued in place!
bwaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:16 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

My wife and I bought our vista 26P a couple months ago. We are in love with it. we do have full paint, satellite, interior upgrades. We expected rough rides and did so a transmission "chip" upgrade. I would recommend this unit to anyone.
Bunny, did you have the front end checked for proper alignment? this has caused a few head aches in the pas.
john
leptronjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:39 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Absolutely.....several times at different locations. We also had a Steer Safe mechanism installed hoping that it would make the driving more dependable. I lost count of how many techs checked out the rig and made various "fixes" but nothing really helped the problems. Hoping you have a much better experience with your 26P.

Tags
26p, 30w, sunstar, vista, winnebago