Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Welcome Mat
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-19-2023, 10:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2023 VIEW 24D - Shore power

Hello, we just bought our first RV, a 2023 Winnebago VIEW 24D. I know it runs on a 30amp shore power for proper use, but can I also use a 120v 20amp connection to charge my batteries for a short period of time, while parked at my house? If so, do I need to do anything specific? I have the Xantrax inverter (i think...). Also, how do I know when shore power and or solar is charging? Thank you!
MMH23VIEW24D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2023, 10:58 PM   #2
Site Team

Greetings MMH23VIEW24D,
Yes, you can plug-in a 30 amp 120 VAC shore power cord into either a 20 amp or 15 amp plug. I leave mine plugged-in year-round in a 15 amp outlet, and I run the built-in battery charger, an additional chassis battery charger, a 130 watt Davis Instruments Air Dryer, and when I need it, I also run a small 120 VAC heater on the low setting, or I run the microwave to reheat my coffee. You have the adapter plug, right?
I have neither Xantrax Inverter nor Solar Power, so I cannot address those questions.
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Click image for larger version

Name:	UNTITLED.gif
Views:	18
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	188097
Old 12-20-2023, 07:20 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Yes, fully agree and it is common even on 15 amp circuits.
The only difference is that you are limited to 15-20 amp instead of 30. That likely means no Air cond. but much of the other items will work.
The main idea is to not overload the 20amp circuit. You can get an estimate of how much each item or combined load will be in amps by adding the watts of each together and using and online converter, change that number to amps.
Heh, Google?
How many amps in 2500 watts? Too many and it likely trips the breaker feeding the outlet, so back off and stay under that level!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 03:10 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Both eagle5 and morich gave you the answers you were looking for. As this is your first RV I thought I would make a point on the 30amp.

RV 30Amp is no more than a souped-up 20amp but with larger gauge wire. By that there is only 1 hot wire . Its not and i say again NOT like the electric dryers 30amp that has 2hot wires. Even through the RV 30amp plug is different than the dryer plug.

I bring this out, as over the years I have read stories about folks plugging their beloved unit into dryer 30amp and thus frying everything in the camper.

Good Luck and enjoy your unit
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 03:23 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

The things that shouldn't be used, while plugged into a 20 amp circuit include but are not limited to A/C or electric heat, plug is space heaters, electric water heater and electric/ convection oven. Some of the items may work, if the are the only thing drawing current but others will pop a circuit breaker due to start up surge. One of those items may appear to work but as soon as a inverter/charger or some small AC device comes on the breaker will trip.
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 09:17 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

For over a year I plugged my MH into 120V 20Amp circuit. Ran the AC on that system but don't try to run a vacuum cleaner or anything else while running the AC. The AC will draw less than 20 Amp and should not be a problem.

I used the Dog Bone converter cord:
Adapter Cord
I used that one plus one that went from 30 to 50 amp. Presently using that configuration at the storage facility. Plug it in, leave it, batteries stay charged.

Also, in my case, I need to know if there is a power outage at the storage facility. I use:
Power Failure Alert
plugged into a receptacle that looses power when there is a power outage.

For my batteries to stay charged the inverter has to be on so when there is a power outage the inverter kicks in and keeps things running. I plug an old android phone and charger plugged into the inverter circuit and access to VISIBLE for a provider.

Power failure and I get notified by Texas and Email.

Just thought I'd through that in as a ramble.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, shore power, view