Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-20-2020, 12:52 PM   #1
RVCalypso

Would You Buy A 2021 Model RV?

So I was watching a recent YouTube video from #RVing with Andrew Steele. It was a collaboration video with Matt from #Matt's RV Reviews. In the video, Matt stated that 2021 model RV's are not all built with the same components. To his point, Covid has disrupted the supply chain for RV parts and components. Take my RV, the Winnebago Minnie Winnie 25B. Generally, you can go to the brochure for that model and see the components that it is built with. Matt says, not so for 2021 models. He said one unit might have a Dometic A/C unit while the next unit on the line might have a Furreon A/C unit. He said he is now saying on his reviews that these components are for this stock number only, other stock numbers may have different components. There is no consistency or continuity in the production. That got me thinking, I am not sure I would want to purchase a 2021 model. At some point, we would like to buy a gently used 3 year old unit with the new Ford V8 motor. Now I am thinking we might have to wait until 2025 and look at 2022 models. Interested in the group's thoughts.
gurroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 02:22 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Well, last month we placed an order for a 2021 Thor Axis 24.1 to be delivered in early 2021. Yes the dealer said that major components are backed up like fridges and A/Cs as you noted. I suspect mine will have "its keel laid" to use nautical terms in early January. I would expect by then that our manufacturing supply chain would be pretty well sorted by then.

OTOH the Ford chassis probably leads Winnebagos keel laying by a couple of months. I am a bit more concerned about it getting screwed up with Covid supplier issues than the coach itself. I understand that spark plug wires, of all things, were a recent problem.

What I do not expect is to get an AC compressor fridge or something equally dramatic. I will simply reject the order and demand my deposit back if that happens. I think RV builders recognize that is likely to happen if they make too great a substitution.

Will let you guys know when I receive my new coach.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 02:25 PM   #3
Site Team

Hi Gurroz,
It almost sounds a little "alarmist" to me. Can you provide a link to the specific video?
https://www.rvingknowhow.com/best-rv-air-conditioner/
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 10-20-2020, 02:47 PM   #4
Site Team

Get one of the new Furion A/Cs instead of a Coleman Mach? Sign me up.

Another way to look at it is there would be no reason for the workers to be rushed on the assembly line if everyone was waiting for parts on the line.

Videos like this are mostly click bait - hoping to boost their viewership numbers for both Andrew Steele and Matt's RV Reviews. 4-weeks ago Andrew's video was titled "Don't Buy and RV!"
Old 10-20-2020, 05:48 PM   #5
RVCalypso

Eagle5, I didn't get the feeling of sounding the alarm. If anything it was more of a buyer beware your unit may differ from the brochure. I was more surprised they were building the same make and model with different components. Here's the link:
Old 10-20-2020, 05:54 PM   #6
RVCalypso

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Get one of the new Furion A/Cs instead of a Coleman Mach? Sign me up.

Another way to look at it is there would be no reason for the workers to be rushed on the assembly line if everyone was waiting for parts on the line.

Videos like this are mostly click bait - hoping to boost their viewership numbers for both Andrew Steele and Matt's RV Reviews. 4-weeks ago Andrew's video was titled "Don't Buy and RV!"
Creativepart, come on now, I like my Coleman Mach A/C. I will admit if I need the A/C it is time to leave. I agree most of these YouTuber's use clickbait and all of them are selling things! See link below!!
Old 10-20-2020, 09:16 PM   #7
Site Team

Starting at time-stamp 14:34, it is a very brief mention of a Travel Trailer's Air Conditioner. I doubt it is even Winnebago, because it seems that most of their products are not Winnebago.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:04 AM   #8
RVCalypso

Eagle5, The General RV dealership they were at is in Virginia. They sell Winnebago, Integra, Tiffin, Newmar and Thor. I got the idea that all manufacturers are mixing and matching parts because Matt said "I have begun referencing stock numbers in my videos because of variations in the build, this one may have it, but the other one on the lot may not!"
Old 10-26-2020, 06:53 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I guess thats not a surprise with the RV demand at a record high the manufacturers will do anything to sell them during this, probably once in a lifetime pandemic, I hope..........as will dealers to make record profits.
1237dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 07:10 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Would I buy a new 2021 if I were in the market for a new RV? Sure, provided the difference between the model I viewed and the one delivered was not an important difference.

Some differences would be too great for me to accept a new model. For example if I wanted a Ford diesel chassis as my Fuse has and the delivered model was a Mercedes, that would constitute too great a difference for me. If I wanted a compressor fridge and the delivered model had an LP fridge that would be too great a difference. But anything other than that kind of large difference would not have a great deal of importance for me. I have a Norcold compressor fridge in my Fuse but if it came with a Dometic compressor fridge I would not care. I don't care who makes the microwave or the solar controller or the solar panels provided they are well made and under warranty.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 07:39 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
Would I buy a new 2021 if I were in the market for a new RV? Sure, provided the difference between the model I viewed and the one delivered was not an important difference.
That was my attitude when I placed my order for a new Thor Axis to be delivered early next year. I don't care about whose A/C is installed, which water pump, or solar controller. I will probably replace the solar controller any way because it is probably the PWM Zamp model.

I can even live with an E450 chassis rather than the E350 one it is supposed to be made with. An E450 might actually be better.

But if it doesn't come with the new Ford 7.3 V8 or an absorption fridge, then I will reject the MH. Both are clearly spelled out in the spec sheet I bought from and can't easily be changed, well nearly impossible for the engine.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 07:59 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
But if it doesn't come with the new Ford 7.3 V8 or an absorption fridge, then I will reject the MH. Both are clearly spelled out in the spec sheet I bought from and can't easily be changed, well nearly impossible for the engine.
I suppose it is because we live in Arizona and none of the absorption refrigerators in our previous RVs would actually get cold enough to keep food during the warmer months, but we would not want another absorption fridge. In fact the Axis 24.1 comes with an absorption fridge and if I were buying one I would want to find some way to replace it with a compressor fridge - something that I think is probably either not practical or too expensive. Perhaps I would feel differently about it if I lived in a more moderate climate.

But I would definitely reject an RV if it came with the wrong engine. We tried to stay away from Mercedes because of the service and fuel restrictions. Our local Ford car dealer services our Fuse and I would not want to have to try to get an RV into the single Mercedes dealer in town or have to drive that far for something as simple as an oil change.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 08:03 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Generalizations like this are not helpful. There are many differences between large RV companies like Winnebago and Leisure Travel Vans and the second and third tier companies. With Winnebago we gave them the VIN for our new 2021 Navion and they emailed us a detailed list of everything installed, including the model numbers and serial numbers.

At least with regard to the Navion model for 2019, 2020, and 2021, there were significant changes made by Winnebago, and then the 2019 is on the 2018 Mercedes Sprinter chassis which changed a great deal in 2019.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote