Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-08-2015, 09:28 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

This is an industry wide problem.. not just a Winnebago problem...

Take some time and read the Entegra, Newmar, Tiffin, Thor & Fleetwood forums.. They are no stranger to people complaining about QC issues..

I've owned my Sunstar 35F since 8/2013 and have been very fortunate with my problems and WBGO has been very nice to deal with.. I was assertive, demanding and assumptive on my expectations.. I think the issues are more with the dealerships, rather than the factory itself.. I think, while the factory makes them, it really is the dealerships responsibility to "prep" the RV for delivery.. that's not to say there will be issues.. but I have a feeling A LOT of the issues most of us have, could/should be caught during the PDI at the dealership.. and let's face it.. dealerships are sometimes difficult to deal with... especially when you didn't purchase it from them.. which I get.. but doesn't bode well for the manufacturers..

I thought I had a slide issue and didn't feel comfortable with any of the local people doing the service work, so I bit the bullet and took a trip to WBGO to have them fix/repair the issue (I understand that's not as easy for others)... I can only say, what a positive experience going to Forest City was... I likely had about $4000 worth of repairs done on my rig, in addition to slide issue, and all was done for free... mind you, I was well over a year out of warranty...

My key to success was; dealing directly with WBGO.. I let them deal with the local repair shop (including getting me service appointments).. I followed up every conversation on the phone with an email summarizing the conversation.. including my expectations.. I included pictures whenever possible/warranted... I have to believe most of us have a smart phone.. learn how to use it to your advantage.. Lastly, I was persistent.. I was very diligent with my record keeping...

I can assure you.. if you were a CEO of a company that was getting bad press via "blog's" or forums.. you'd likely be doing the same thing as all the above manufacturers.. I'm sure they are trying everything in their power to provide a quality unit at a quality price.. problem is.. its impossible at the price points we are willing to pay.. there is a give/take to get to our "price point"... I can only say.. I'm glad I don't have some of the issues I've read about on the Entegra/Newmar forums, knowing how much they've paid for their RV's (not picking on them, but know they are at the top of the price points)..

Bottom line.. its not acceptable to pay to have the product we sometimes get.. but unfortunately, that's what has become the "norm" in the RV industry..
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 04:45 AM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakcreekeric View Post
This is an industry wide problem.. not just a Winnebago problem...

Take some time and read the Entegra, Newmar, Tiffin, Thor & Fleetwood forums.. They are no stranger to people complaining about QC issues..

I've owned my Sunstar 35F since 8/2013 and have been very fortunate with my problems and WBGO has been very nice to deal with.. I was assertive, demanding and assumptive on my expectations.. I think the issues are more with the dealerships, rather than the factory itself.. I think, while the factory makes them, it really is the dealerships responsibility to "prep" the RV for delivery.. that's not to say there will be issues.. but I have a feeling A LOT of the issues most of us have, could/should be caught during the PDI at the dealership.. and let's face it.. dealerships are sometimes difficult to deal with... especially when you didn't purchase it from them.. which I get.. but doesn't bode well for the manufacturers..

I thought I had a slide issue and didn't feel comfortable with any of the local people doing the service work, so I bit the bullet and took a trip to WBGO to have them fix/repair the issue (I understand that's not as easy for others)... I can only say, what a positive experience going to Forest City was... I likely had about $4000 worth of repairs done on my rig, in addition to slide issue, and all was done for free... mind you, I was well over a year out of warranty...

My key to success was; dealing directly with WBGO.. I let them deal with the local repair shop (including getting me service appointments).. I followed up every conversation on the phone with an email summarizing the conversation.. including my expectations.. I included pictures whenever possible/warranted... I have to believe most of us have a smart phone.. learn how to use it to your advantage.. Lastly, I was persistent.. I was very diligent with my record keeping...

I can assure you.. if you were a CEO of a company that was getting bad press via "blog's" or forums.. you'd likely be doing the same thing as all the above manufacturers.. I'm sure they are trying everything in their power to provide a quality unit at a quality price.. problem is.. its impossible at the price points we are willing to pay.. there is a give/take to get to our "price point"... I can only say.. I'm glad I don't have some of the issues I've read about on the Entegra/Newmar forums, knowing how much they've paid for their RV's (not picking on them, but know they are at the top of the price points)..

Bottom line.. its not acceptable to pay to have the product we sometimes get.. but unfortunately, that's what has become the "norm" in the RV industry..
Since I started this discussion let me ask a basic question of those who have owned MH's for years: Has there been an increase in instances of poor factory QC or, have the dealers simply become way too lax in performing dealer prep?

Thanks! Chuck K.
kayserc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:18 AM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Chuck, It is a combination of very poor QC at the factory during assembly and the dealer, mine at least, not doing a proper PDI. The problem of panels and brackets falling off has been around for years but nothing has been done to correct it. Windshield frames rusting out is another long time problem that I don't think has been really fixed. These problems should have been taken care of within a year or so of appearing, but if you go back on this forum you will see that it has been years and still no fixes. I have owned 6 motorhomes, 4 of which have been WBGO, and my 2011 Vista is, by far, the worst of them all. When it was in warranty I would leave it for 2 or more weeks at the dealer only to bring it home and end up fixing it myself. If I called WBGO Customer Service they would tell me to take it back to the dealer. It was just a big runaround to avoid responsibility for shoddy workmanship and materials.
TerryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:33 AM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayserc View Post
Since I started this discussion let me ask a basic question of those who have owned MH's for years: Has there been an increase in instances of poor factory QC or, have the dealers simply become way too lax in performing dealer prep?

Thanks! Chuck K.
I had a 2011 meridian the trim fit finish etc was great we had very few "winnebago" issues mainly just dealer issues. it was a dependable trouble free coach so we were very happy with winnebago and wanted to move up we bought a 2013 42qd. the 2013 was a different story trim pieces would fall off going down the road, the new slide system kept crashing each trip was something new. so yes I belive qc has gone down. I do however believe winnebago has a great product(the frame wirring etc) if qc and dealer network improved I would have no issue with buying a winnebago again. funny thing is my parrents had motorhomes when I was growing up I dont remember them going back to the dealers(yes I know we have more electronics, slides etc) but those old coaches did not have trim ,cabinet doors etc falling off
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago