Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2015, 07:46 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago warranty extension

Has anyone tried to get Winnebago to extend their 1 yr warranty? We purchased a new Itasca 27N in July and, after our initial trip in October, returned it to the dealer to correct a handful of items that should have been caught by the factory. All items SHOULD of been caught by factory personnel prior to shipping to dealer. We lost 4 mos of usage while it sat at dealer.

Has anyone had any luck/or tried to get extension???

tks

Chuck
kayserc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 07:58 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayserc View Post
Has anyone tried to get Winnebago to extend their 1 yr warranty? We purchased a new Itasca 27N in July and, after our initial trip in October, returned it to the dealer to correct a handful of items that should have been caught by the factory. All items SHOULD of been caught by factory personnel prior to shipping to dealer. We lost 4 mos of usage while it sat at dealer.

tks

Chuck
You didn't list the handful of items, so will assume all were factory quality problems, but what about the dealer? Did they perform a PDI for/with you? 4 months at the dealer?
Did you find any of these items between July and October or is that the "lost 4 months" you mentioned? I don't think I have ever heard of an auto manufacturer extending their warranty because the purchaser didn't use the vehicle much? Just sayin'
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:07 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I got them to do warranty work outside my year warranty period.. I did go to Forest City to have the work done.. but they have always been easy to work with..

I would presume if you called (I prefer to email) WBGO and talk to them, they would probably do something to help you..
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 06:58 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Chuck:
Call Winnebago Owner Relations and give them a list of your outstanding issues. Your best bet to get it properly repaired would be at the factory in Iowa. If you can schedule a trip, that is your best option and you have identified the issues before your warranty has expired so there will be no issue. Winnebago - at the factory - are excellent at repairing items on a "goodwill" basis if they suspect they have been there for some time. You should make an appointment for service or risk waiting a couple of days getting started and much longer in July around the GNR. Good luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 06:59 AM   #5
TAN
Winnebago Owner

In the first year our front bumper had stress cracks do to a poor job of fiberglass by Winnebago it cost me $2200.00 to fix it as Winnebago would not fix it under warranty. We had other problems in the first year that we had to pay to have fixed. We were lucky it was on a workhorse as they fixt everything that was a workhorse problem. They even fixt things long passed the three year warranty. Winnebago did not have much of a warranty.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:52 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayserc View Post

tks

Chuck
Shortly after sending this post Winnebago DID extend our warranty 4 more months so we are happy!
kayserc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:51 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Many folks want to know about Winnebago products. My experience has not been very good. Bought it new off the lot in 2013. We have had over 90 (yes ninety) items that have been needed service. From the shell cracking in the front to the back engine hatch completely falling off. We are now dealing with numerous ( many, many) wall paper crinkling in various areas. Since we are out of Warranty they will not do anything. They did some good will warranty when we were out by a couple of months but now with a awning motor and arms broken (only in and out 15 times, $1000 +) they will do nothing. Let me repeat, over 90 items and months at service. You would believe that maybe they would say we did not do something right on this coach, Let's take care of this customer. We have written Randy Potts two letters. They maybe in the top three of customer service but they are not #1. Tiffin remains the coach I will buy coming up. So am I happy with Winnebago, not really.
mackspot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 12:11 PM   #8
TAN
Winnebago Owner

I have nothing good to say about Winnebago warranty. As far as I am concerned Winnebago has no warranty. It is just buyer beware!
Old 06-05-2015, 12:24 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackspot1 View Post
Many folks want to know about Winnebago products. My experience has not been very good. Bought it new off the lot in 2013. We have had over 90 (yes ninety) items that have been needed service. From the shell cracking in the front to the back engine hatch completely falling off. We are now dealing with numerous ( many, many) wall paper crinkling in various areas. Since we are out of Warranty they will not do anything. They did some good will warranty when we were out by a couple of months but now with a awning motor and arms broken (only in and out 15 times, $1000 +) they will do nothing. Let me repeat, over 90 items and months at service. You would believe that maybe they would say we did not do something right on this coach, Let's take care of this customer. We have written Randy Potts two letters. They maybe in the top three of customer service but they are not #1. Tiffin remains the coach I will buy coming up. So am I happy with Winnebago, not really.

Tiffin has their problems too (like most of them). Have you ever talked to a Tiffin owner and had them say that at their rallies they'll fix the first 3 problems on your coach for free? Boy, if they're that good- how come so many problems? Much of what goes wrong with these things is self inflicted if you don't mind me saying. I don't think my Winnebago was built with any more care than the others but I treat it well and do much of my own maint. It hasn't seen the dealer's service bay since I bought it new seven years ago. If you think for a minute that many high end coaches also have defects then maybe that puts it in perspective. Maybe the only difference is they'll come to you instead of you having to drive it there...and probably many 1000's of dollars more right off the bat. JMHO
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 12:51 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAN View Post
I have nothing good to say about Winnebago warranty. As far as I am concerned Winnebago has no warranty. It is just buyer beware!

I have had great Winnebago warranty service. They have also fixed things for me that were out of warranty.
F117plt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 01:26 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAN View Post
In the first year our front bumper had stress cracks do to a poor job of fiberglass by Winnebago it cost me $2200.00 to fix it as Winnebago would not fix it under warranty. .
I'm not sure that would have been covered under most of the aftermarket warranties I've looked at. They usually exclude defects in workmanship and "factory defects".
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 01:56 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Angry Winnebago Warranty Issues

I just purchased a 2015 Itasca Navion. On the way home from the dealer the optional expensive heat strips on the black and gray water tanks detached and were dragging by their wires. They were attached with sticky tape. Lots of other minor issues most having to do with the fact that everything seems to be attached with sticky tape. I took it to the ONLY Winnebago dealer in Houston (4th largest city in the US mind you) and was told you didn't buy it here - too bad. Camping World of Houston is awful but I finally was able to drop it off. They were supposed to call and give me an estimate of how long the repairs would take, no calls, no return calls, rude service reps, terrible. They said there were 300 MH ahead of me and if one came in that had been sold off their lot it would move ahead of me on the waiting list. At that rate the warranty would expire before they got to the repairs.

The Winnebago warranty is worthless as far as I can tell (especially if you have a dealer like Camping World).
rmclin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 03:23 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

rmclin
A couple of suggestions:
You should call Winnebago Owner Relations and advise them of the problems you are having. Get the issues on record with them and they will be fixed regardless of the one year warranty. Ask for their assistance scheduling and determining who in your area could fix it and ask if they have a mobile RV tech than can be dispatched otherwise.
As for the items with loose sticky tape, you might want to get a roll of 3M outdoor red double sided tape and reattach them yourself. Unfortunately, buying an RV is not like buying a car and you are going to find the best option is to try and fix it yourself as there wont be RV dealers in a lot of the areas you travel in. In most cases, repairs are relatively simple, the solution obvious and the agony of worry avoided if you can fix it yourself at your convenience. You will also be able to share your newfound repair experience with other in the group who might have similar issues!
I would put my own experience of having to have both sidewalls replaced due to defective material and the complexity of that repair and follow-up repairs on top of the other multiple normal failures against anyone in this group. I would say I was in the top 5 percentile in terms of the number of significant issues. I will also say that Winnebago accepted full responsibility for the problems and follow-up well into my fourth year of ownership. For three plus years, I had full "Frequent Flyer" status in Forest City!
While I was not a "happy camper" during the first couple of years, in retrospect Winnebago acted very well and was very fair with me. I think you will find the same thing but remember a spoonful of honey goes a lot further than a spoonful of vinegar. I'm also sure that you will find many members of this forum that will echo my sentiments. Good luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 03:31 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
rmclin
A couple of suggestions:
You should call Winnebago Owner Relations and advise them of the problems you are having. Get the issues on record with them and they will be fixed regardless of the one year warranty. Ask for their assistance scheduling and determining who in your area could fix it and ask if they have a mobile RV tech than can be dispatched otherwise.
As for the items with loose sticky tape, you might want to get a roll of 3M outdoor red double sided tape and reattach them yourself. Unfortunately, buying an RV is not like buying a car and you are going to find the best option is to try and fix it yourself as there wont be RV dealers in a lot of the areas you travel in. In most cases, repairs are relatively simple, the solution obvious and the agony of worry avoided if you can fix it yourself at your convenience. You will also be able to share your newfound repair experience with other in the group who might have similar issues!
I would put my own experience of having to have both sidewalls replaced due to defective material and the complexity of that repair and follow-up repairs on top of the other multiple normal failures against anyone in this group. I would say I was in the top 5 percentile in terms of the number of significant issues. I will also say that Winnebago accepted full responsibility for the problems and follow-up well into my fourth year of ownership. For three plus years, I had full "Frequent Flyer" status in Forest City!
While I was not a "happy camper" during the first couple of years, in retrospect Winnebago acted very well and was very fair with me. I think you will find the same thing but remember a spoonful of honey goes a lot further than a spoonful of vinegar. I'm also sure that you will find many members of this forum that will echo my sentiments. Good luck,
X-2, Excellent appraisal of the issues, and I would agree about the "spoonful of honey"...always good advice and would be well taken for those hoping to have a good service experience.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 06:32 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

New 2015 Brave had issues with (under engineered) bed leg that could easily collapse.

Emailed WBGO on their website and I was contacted within 2 days by rep who agreed to replace with updated design. Going in the CW Monday for repair, which according to WBGO is a one hour job. I will advise, but reality is that there are no one hour jobs at CW.
JimGeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 07:28 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackspot1 View Post

Remember this is the internet - on 12/1/13 he posted the following

We bought a new 2012 off the lot and have had it at three different service centers authorized by Winnebago. 27 different quality control issues

Went from 27 to 90 issues - give me a break
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 10:27 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

If you would like me to send a copy of the letter to Winnebago CEO Randy Potts let me know. It will authenticate my info. Don't go doubting people just because you think you can. You are basically calling people liars. Let me know dream if you want a copy I will gladly send you a copy. Give me a break, really??
Old 06-07-2015, 06:12 AM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Not calling anyone a liar - just pointing out how over time the story changed - I quoted your actual post - I did not make that up
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:07 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Having purchased my 2011 Vista 35F 4yrs and 8 mos. ago I can say, IMHO, that the problem with WBGO is not their warranty, it is that they seem to have no quality control. My new Vista was delivered to me with problems that should have been taken care of by the factory before it left. The most disturbing thing to me is that many of the problems, panels and brackets falling off, water leaks, poor workmanship, ad nauseum have been a problem for years and have not been addressed by the company. You can search my past posts and see more of what I'm talking about. I am still fixing or replacing stuff that wasn't built or installed right. Having owned a '73, '94, '06, and 2011 Winnebagos I can honestly say that the 2011 Vista is, by far, the worst one and the last one I will own. I've asked this before: If Winnebago made airplanes, would you fly in one?
TerryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:44 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

My "spoon full of honey" has always been a bucket full. Our relations with the folks we speak with have been positive. My message is more about the products of Winnebago. They do not purposely try to make a undependable coach. But if you read the posts you will find a wide variety of issues. There are WAY to many things going wrong. Notice the comments about quality control. If I am the CEO of a major manufacture of a coach the worst thing I want is for folks to be blogging about problems (and lots of them). We live in a technological era where everyone can find out anything. We personally have had way to many items go wrong on our Winnebago Itasca Meridian. They are a wide range of things. I am a handy person, built many homes and worked on my vehicles so the issues I am speaking to our not just small items. Our satisfaction with the power train has been great. Cummins and Allison have been bullet proof. With that said I do realize most coaches have issues from the start. We are hoping ours will end soon. We have spent a good deal of money and for Winnebago they should be more than respectful and also desiring to do what ever it takes to not have owners who have had as many problems as we have had to seek some satisfaction for them. That is not to say forever. We thankfully purchased an extended warranty through an outside agency so we are now trying to have some items repaired that Winnebago said we were outside of our warranty. Our hope is that folks do not have the same quality control issues we have had.

Tags
winnebago