Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-17-2021, 09:20 AM   #41
Winnebago Owner

I have never seen a MH broke down but have seen more than one TT with a bad axle - typically from the owner not doing proper maintenance on the wheel bearings. You won't be towing it in this situation!
Old 09-18-2021, 05:49 PM   #42
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova 42qd View Post
I have never seen a MH broke down but have seen more than one TT with a bad axle - typically from the owner not doing proper maintenance on the wheel bearings. You won't be towing it in this situation!
I've personally have seen many R.V.'s (Motorhomes) on the side of the road, or 'getting on the hook'...over many thousands of tow miles over a span of 45 years.

About T.T. owners NOT taking bearing re-grease maintenance seriously...

Very true, well said! I keep a log, and if we do 10,000 miles per year or less by sitting on the driveway, I do 10,000 miles or TWO YEARS length of time before the next camping wheel rotation, I spend the 3 or 4 hours to re and re my four bearing sets.

Totally clean, inspect, replace if worn or damaged...and then massage the best synth into the races, and cups. New backing grease seals...and all done for another 10,000, or 2 years. With today's great top level synth axle grease, you don't have to re-grease with less than 10,000 miles of turning and rotation on those sets of bearings. Dealer's will FLOG that you have to do bearing grease over's, every year....but at $110.00 per hour shop labor...'ya think?!?" 2 years or 10,000 miles and you will be 'right on top of 'bearing' responsibility---> for good bearings!
Sun_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 07:26 PM   #43
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Ficca View Post
I would rather keep my 40ft DP with a toad and break down rather than have a TT. That's my 2 cents worth on this subject ! Sorry !
Why ; sorry? Every opinion is welcomed. That's what makes for good reading, an a lively thread!
Sun_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 06:53 AM   #44
Winnebago Owner

If my TV breaks down, USAA will tow it to the nearest GMC/Chevy dealer, and AAA will tow my trailer to the nearest campground. It’s likely my truck will be repaired the same day, and I still have my “home” to live in at a nearby campground if the repair will take longer.

With a MH and toad, you have the toad to get away from the scene of the crime, but getting your M”home” fixed in a day is not likely. That means hotel rooms for who knows how long. That being said, I’ve never been stranded when I owned a gasser motorhome.