Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2021, 09:05 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

a big issue is your X amount of miles from home and finding someone to tow you could be a battle.unfamiliar territory and you know no one in the area just what are you gonna do??but me i have an ace in the hole so to speak.a buddy of mine is an insurance adjuster for a company that insures over the road trucks.a call to him and he can hook me up with tow companies in the area that they use.but for people that don't have that resource it could and would be a good idea to do some research and maybe make some calls for businesses along the route you plan to take.
catmandoo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 08:01 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

"The Why I Don't Tow A Trailer". Not trying to be a smart ash, everyone has their own preferences. That's what makes us all unique. Being on 3-4 forums for many years now, I have seen countless posts/pictures of Trailers with blown tires. Incurring major damage to the underside & exterior of the rig. Sometimes taking out the second tire on that side in the process. And, of course possibly even flipping. (yes, the same can happen to a MH) To me, it just looks like trailer tires and wheel bearings are not up to the task.
Others reasons for us are access to the fridge, potty and other things while driving. And, most trailers don't come equipped with a genny, making that an extra expense. We just enjoy the whole MH experience. )
99dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 08:18 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

The ideal situation is to have both, a small MH for quick trips or perhaps cross country travel where the goal is the destination, and a TT for extended stays or slower, leisure trips. The only problem I'm having with that goal right now is storage.
Old 08-10-2021, 09:18 AM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_Seeker View Post
I felt so bad, so baaaaaaaaaad, for a family that I passed on highway 401 eastbound towards Kingston Ontario yesterday at around 5:00 PM.

I passed a Holmes 440 (the wreckers and hook's that tow transport trucks) hooked onto a 30 or more foot R.V. and had it lifted at that time off of it's front tires.

I SHUDDERED, and mentioned to my wife also moving her head back and forth, as to how much (probably close to a thousand dollars) after a tow in...with the Holmes 440...they don't even come out to hook under $200.00 dollars USF.

I said that is why I have always wanted a T.T. with a totally separate drive train, not attached to the body. If that would have been us...I could have gone by taxi to a U-Haul, and rented a configured one of their tow-ready F150 with tow Level 4 capabilities for under $200.00 and continue with our trip, after towing our car/truck to a local dealer for repair.

What this has cost this couple, who were standing behind their rig, totally shoulder's down, dejected. I can only imagine as well as their vacation plans delayed or totally ruined. That is why I personally never chose to own a vehicle that both the drive train, as well as the living quarters were one and the same. With a T.T., you have choices that don't prove your vacation fatal.

Just sayin...

Winnie 1706FB owner towed by a 2019 Dodge Grand Caravan.
You conveniently make alot of assumptions, both in your original post as well as follow up responses, to justify your "...why I have always wanted a T.T." statement. And while that's OK (we all do it to an extent), it's also ONLY applicable to you. You camp in a 19' trailer towed by a minivan. Nothing wrong with that, but obviously the couple in question prefer something larger, as do many. You "assume" that their vacation was ruined. Maybe, maybe not. They may have already been on their way home, or delivering the rig to a service center when it broke down, or any number of other things. You assume that a breakdown in a MH means that a person/couple have lost their living quarters and must "camp" at the repair shop; no, they may simply rent a car (or taxi) and go home while their RV is being repaired. You assume that a similar situation wouldn't affect you because your living quarters and drivetrain are separate so you could rent a different tow vehicle. Of course you ignore the possibility of your "living quarters" flipping over and destroying all of your belongings (would certainly ruin your vacation) and possibly even taking your tow vehicle with it. You assume that they didn't have towing coverage; I would suggest that most people who own large RVs do indeed have tow coverage. And you assume that YOU wouldn't have the same sad, dejected look while standing on the side of the road having your tow vehicle hooked up to a towtruck; I'm gonna guess that you would indeed look sad. Oh, and just as you could rent a replacement tow vehicle, that couple could certainly rent a replacement RV as well, so...

The nice thing about RVing is that there are so many configurations available that will satisfy everyone's needs. I would never own a TT, because it would prevent me from ever taking along my toys (jet skiis, motorcycles, ATVs, side-x-sides), which is the very reason I pull out of my driveway in the first place. I also prefer the ability for my DW to be able to access the kitchen, bathroom, bedroom while going down the road...one more reason why I will never own a TT. When I reach my destination, my "living quarters" are already cooled down (or warmed up, depending on season), rather than having to start with a hot (or cold) trailer. Hmmmm....another reason why I will never own a TT. Oh, and when I pull in, I can level and open the slides without ever leaving the driver seat (nice in bad weather). Look at that...another reason why I will never own a TT. And as others have already alluded, I've seen more TTs overturned and destroyed on the road than motorhomes; that extra combined "drivetrain" weight certainly helps out in high winds.

So I'm actually a bit confused as to what your post was intended to accomplish, other than perhaps pointing out the high cost of a large towtruck? But isn't that what roadservice plans are for? And while a large motorhome does indeed cost alot to tow, similarly towing a truck AND your TT is certainly not pennies on the dollar. But if instead your post was somehow meant to prove how superior small TTs are over large MHs...well
Old 08-10-2021, 09:28 AM   #25
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
You conveniently make alot of assumptions to justify your "...why I have always wanted a T.T." statement. And while that's OK (we all do it to an extent), it's also ONLY applicable to you. You "assume" that their vacation was ruined. Maybe, maybe not. They may have been on their way home, or delivering the rig to a service center, or any number of other things. You assume that a similar situation wouldn't affect you because your living quarters and drivetrain are separate so you could rent a different tow vehicle. Of course you ignore the possibility of your "living quarters" flipping over and destroying all of your belongings (would certainly ruin your vacation). Oh, and that couple could certainly rent a replacement RV as well, so...

The nice thing about RVing is that there are so many configurations available that will satisfy everyone's needs. I would NEVER own a TT, because it would prevent me from ever taking along my toys (jet skiis, motorcycles, ATVs, side-x-sides), which is the very reason I pull out of my driveway in the first place. I also prefer the ability for my DW to be able to access the kitchen, bathroom, bedroom while going down the road...another reason why I will NEVER own a TT. And when I reach my destination, my "living quarters" are already cooled down (or warmed up, depending on season), rather than having to start with a hot (or cold) trailer. Hmmmm....another reason why I will NEVER own a TT. And as others have already alluded, I've seen more TTs overturned and destroyed on the road than motorhomes; that extra combined "drivetrain" weight certainly helps out in high winds.

So I'm actually a bit confused as to what your post was intended to accomplish, other than perhaps pointing out the high cost of a large towtruck? But isn't that what roadservice plans are for? And while a large motorhome does indeed cost alot to tow, similarly towing a truck AND your TT is certainly not pennies on the dollar.
I must say, and totally speaking, well, typing the truth. I have been towing trailers for over 45 years, and I have never, never past any trailer, that was on its side..or completely destroyed due to an out of control (by driver) event. Never. I have seen though, quite a few motorhomes, and a few trailers on the side of the highway, with most of the travel trailers, being tire swapped out from a flat. But as to all of you seeing destroyed and overturned T.T. off the highway? I dunno...I guess that in Canada, we might have a slightly better (tonque in cheek) class of drivers that tow those T.T.'s...lol. I have been North, South East, and West...throughout Canada, and have not again in 45 years, ever past a T.T. accident scene whereby a T.T was spread all over the road, or off in the corn field. Where ever you are driving, lol...let me know to avoid those stretches of roadway...for the drivers, seem to lack the experience to control their rigs!!!! Cheers!
Sun_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 09:58 AM   #26
Winnebago Owner

So that's what you're focusing on; the one single sentence about flipped over TTs? Nothing else in my post?

Again, I'm still not sure of the point of your original post.
Old 08-10-2021, 01:06 PM   #27
Winnebago Owner

Smile

This my friend is how to tow a motor home. If your truck hit the pickup I hit, your truck and possibly your trailer would of been on this . 120 miles and he will pay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1462.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	267.6 KB
ID:	180534   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1456.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	312.8 KB
ID:	180535  

deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 03:50 AM   #28
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
So that's what you're focusing on; the one single sentence about flipped over TTs? Nothing else in my post?

Again, I'm still not sure of the point of your original post.
I read your entire post, and your comments and opinions are all good, as is everybody else that contributed. As you say...we all are motivated by perhaps a different set of I need/I don't need.

My original post, was to comment on what we saw..and why I personally as well as my wife, would not go the M.H. route whereby your drivetrain is under your accommodation. I fully assumed that other's would give their opinions on why they would WANT to have both drivetrain and living area as one.

I thought it would generate an interesting ying/yang perspective, and it decidedly did do just that.

I commented on your observing trashed and overturned, destroyed T.T.'s while in our 45 years of towing them, we never had come across any T.T. carnage, in Canada as well as the U.S. We have seen our share of tire repairs going on...but nothing of what you had seen and described. Cheers!
Old 08-11-2021, 03:54 AM   #29
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckape View Post
This my friend is how to tow a motor home. If your truck hit the pickup I hit, your truck and possibly your trailer would of been on this . 120 miles and he will pay.
That's some rig for sure...and I can't imagine what THAT TOWING BILL cost the owner(s)!!!!!
Old 08-11-2021, 08:02 AM   #30
Winnebago Master

Over the years we've gone from tents to popups to trailers to a motorhome. I would never go back. Rarely have I seen a motorhome on the hook, although I know it happens. We have insurance just for that however.

What I have seen is numerous fifth wheels with blown tires, as well as travel tires. I have also seen many tow vehicles with blown engines. So do you think that doesn't kinda ruin a trip?

Our coach is old but well maintained. We ride in quiet comfort with air ride and air brakes. If it's raining when we get to our destination, I don't even need to get out to set up. In fact my DW often makes us lunch on the move.

To each his own my friend.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 08:14 AM   #31
Site Team

I think on a forum made up of all kinds of RV owners: TTs, 5ers, B's, C's and A's it gets contentious when an owner of one type expresses his personal opinion that the other types are less good for some reason. Even if it's just his personal opinion.

Forums work best when everyone's RV choice is a good choice... for that owner.

It's fine to say "I personally wouldn't want that kind but I know it's a great choice for a lot of people."

It's a small distinction but an important one that keeps the community whole.
Old 08-11-2021, 08:15 AM   #32
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I read your entire post, and your comments and opinions are all good, as is everybody else that contributed. As you say...we all are motivated by perhaps a different set of I need/I don't need.

My original post, was to comment on what we saw..and why I personally as well as my wife, would not go the M.H. route whereby your drivetrain is under your accommodation. I fully assumed that other's would give their opinions on why they would WANT to have both drivetrain and living area as one.

I thought it would generate an interesting ying/yang perspective, and it decidedly did do just that.

I commented on your observing trashed and overturned, destroyed T.T.'s while in our 45 years of towing them, we never had come across any T.T. carnage, in Canada as well as the U.S. We have seen our share of tire repairs going on...but nothing of what you had seen and described. Cheers!
Fair enough. But your original post made no mention of asking for others' opinions, just how much better it was to have living quarters and drivetrain separate. And yes, you commented on what you "saw", but then went quite a ways down a rabbit hole of assumptions about the scene, many of which were likely wrong.

In any case, it did indeed generate some interesting ying/yang perspectives. And while I haven't seen "alot" of overturned trailers, I have seen enough, particularly in high wind corridors. And I've actually seen more trailers being repaired on the side of the road than motorhomes (usually tires, as you suggest), while I rarely see RVs (of any type) being towed. This, from 40 years of RVing/towing, albeit mostly in the Southwestern US.
Old 08-15-2021, 05:06 PM   #33
Winnebago Camper

I feel really baaaaaaaad when others think their way is the only way.
blues46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 05:42 PM   #34
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I felt so bad, so baaaaaaaaaad, for a family that I passed on highway 401 eastbound towards Kingston Ontario yesterday at around 5:00 PM.

I passed a Holmes 440 (the wreckers and hook's that tow transport trucks) hooked onto a 30 or more foot R.V. and had it lifted at that time off of it's front tires.

I SHUDDERED, and mentioned to my wife also moving her head back and forth, as to how much (probably close to a thousand dollars) after a tow in...with the Holmes 440...they don't even come out to hook under $200.00 dollars USF.

I said that is why I have always wanted a T.T. with a totally separate drive train, not attached to the body. If that would have been us...I could have gone by taxi to a U-Haul, and rented a configured one of their tow-ready F150 with tow Level 4 capabilities for under $200.00 and continue with our trip, after towing our car/truck to a local dealer for repair.

What this has cost this couple, who were standing behind their rig, totally shoulder's down, dejected. I can only imagine as well as their vacation plans delayed or totally ruined. That is why I personally never chose to own a vehicle that both the drive train, as well as the living quarters were one and the same. With a T.T., you have choices that don't prove your vacation fatal.

Just sayin...

Winnie 1706FB owner towed by a 2019 Dodge Grand Caravan.
What you’re missing is that most just have to pay for any service and money is no object to most of us. This is America. Land of opportunity and endless cash.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 07:10 PM   #35
Winnebago Watcher

Almost $8000 to right our 2017 Navion 24j, laying on its passenger side, and tow it about 5 miles to the tow companies lot. An eye opener, even if it was covered. Neither of us or the three dachshunds hurt, no airbags deployed. A scary slow motion wreck.
Wrobin422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 07:29 PM   #36
Winnebago Camper

We have a motor home because we have dogs. Plus the ability to make a sandwich and use the restroom on the road. I wouldn’t want to be crammed into the cab of a truck for the road trip.

Good Sam or AAA with RV coverage, and you don’t have to pay for that tow.

Even with a mishap like that it doesn’t usually kill an entire vacation, just adds a little spice to it. Changes your plans for a couple of days.
cshodges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 07:53 PM   #37
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
That's some rig for sure...and I can't imagine what THAT TOWING BILL cost the owner(s)!!!!!
Bill going to the guy that rolled thru a stop sign , guess he wanted to play squirrel.
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 08:22 PM   #38
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrobin422 View Post
Almost $8000 to right our 2017 Navion 24j, laying on its passenger side, and tow it about 5 miles to the tow companies lot. An eye opener, even if it was covered. Neither of us or the three dachshunds hurt, no airbags deployed. A scary slow motion wreck.
I'm glad to hear everyone came through OK!

As the owner of a 2009 View 24J I'm curious as to how your rig ended up on its side.
Old 08-16-2021, 06:19 AM   #39
Winnebago Camper

Breakdown

We have a motorhome 40ft and carry a goldwing motorcycle on the back while pulling a suv. In the 15 years we have only one time needed to be towed. We just unhooked the suv and followed the motorhome to the shop. We were lucky that the shop had a power hookup so we stayed in the rv . When they took the motorhome into the shop we took the suv & dog and drove around the area. I for one would not have anything else but a motorhome. My wife can go to the restroom while going down the road (I know it is not safe but going down the interstate it is ok).
madred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 03:20 PM   #40
Winnebago Camper

You can have your TT

I would rather keep my 40ft DP with a toad and break down rather than have a TT. That's my 2 cents worth on this subject ! Sorry !
Tom Ficca is offline   Reply With Quote