Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-26-2024, 08:10 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Rain water leak 2002 Spirit Class C

Anyone have a good idea on how to diagnose an outside water leak? Over the cab leak on a 2002 spirit class c. I know water can flow from about anywhere. Seems to be leaking below the over cab window. Is it typical for a window seal to leak? Any suggestions you may have would be mostly welcome. Thank you.
Bzerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 07:14 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Is taking out the window (called picture window, I think) and resealing with butyl tape an effective remedy? I’m just not familiar with how RV windows are installed. House windows, not a problem, RV? Can’t find much good help online with this fix either. Just repairs trying to sell various products.
Old 05-28-2024, 09:06 AM   #3
Site Team

Hi Bzerull,
In reviewing the Sealant Guide, I do not see any call-out for the windows:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...00_sealant.pdf
It seems to me that you could gently irrigate around the window and see if you detect leaking inside. If the window is not the culprit, then I would try to irrigate around the five clearance lights. If those are not leaking, then what you have remaining are the edge seals.
Winnebago and many other manufacturers equip their newer Class Cs with a fiberglass nose cap for the overberth area. This method eliminates the traditional leaking areas.
Eagle5
Old 05-28-2024, 11:19 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I am finding areas round the marker lights that could definitely be allowing outside moisture in. Removing and resealing around the electrical outlet hole.
Old 05-29-2024, 07:29 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

By far the best water intrusion detection method is the Sealtech RV leak detection system,

Bzerull is right about clearance lights; I've have clearance light leaks. Fine dust enters the lens, settles to the bottom and seals the lens. This allows any water to collect in the lens, when it reaches the wiring hole it then flows along the wiring, into the RV wall.
When you remove a lens and see a water line mark, you know the lens is leaking.

My solution was to drill a 1/8" hole in the bottom of each lens and remove sealant from around the bottom of the light base.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 07:00 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I am finding, that with my marker lights, there is no sealant between the light base and the outside skin of the motor home. An unsuccessful attempt was made at one time to apply some caulk (very slopily across the top of each). I am removing the lights, applying sealant around the electrical hole and reinstalling the lights. They definitely will not leak when I am done and they look much better being a clean installation. Fixing problems one thing at a time. Can be frustrating, but at the same time enjoyable.
Old 06-02-2024, 06:42 PM   #7
ACB
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bzerull View Post
Anyone have a good idea on how to diagnose an outside water leak? Over the cab leak on a 2002 spirit class c. I know water can flow from about anywhere. Seems to be leaking below the over cab window. Is it typical for a window seal to leak? Any suggestions you may have would be mostly welcome. Thank you.
I had one of these for ten years. My leak came from the over bunk window. I’m sure the best way to do this was to remove the window and reapply butyl tape. But never having removed a window at that time ( except the door window) I opted to clean and reseal around the window frame and marker lights using silicone sealant. I lot of people may frown at this, but I did this twice over ten years and never had issues after applying sealant. Anyway, that was my fix, it worked, was cheap but that is just my opinion.
I really enjoyed that Spirit and can honestly say it was the most trouble free class C I ever owned.

Good luck with your repair, whichever method you use.
ACB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2024, 07:23 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I was going to repair with sealant as you did, but after becoming aware how to remove a window and reseal with with butyl tape, that is what I chose to do. I made a scaffold with a 2x12 blank supported by two ladders on each side of the cab, which made the window very easy to access. After replacing, I also applied clear sealant around the exterior window frame, masked with painters tape when applying. The results turned out very good, as I did the same with the marker lights. Took a day, but I am now convinced my water leaks will be gone. I now hope to enjoy my spirit as you did. Thank you for your response.
Old 06-03-2024, 09:11 AM   #9
Site Team

Hi Bzerull,
It sounds like you have it well sealed now; excellent!
Eagle5

Tags
leak, class c, water, water leak