Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-10-2020, 04:13 PM   #21
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willford View Post
I was looking for a used Class C diesel for months, then one day I drove by an RV dealer and parked in the waiting lot was a 2018 24J, so I went in asked about it. It was driven into the dealer about 20 minutes before and still had the owners items in it while he was trading in for a Class A. I put down a deposit and had to go back to check it out the next day. Now I'm a proud owner of an almost new 24J! It was my lucky day!
Thank you for adding to this thread...and I'm enjoying taking a 'peek' at the choices other's are dropping the coin on...and here is yours! Looks great!

Sun_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 07:58 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Hello....

We bought our new Micro Minnie 2108FBS in early March for what we thought was a good price. Now, if you can find one, it is some times almost $10k more!!! We got a great price and have been enjoying the camping trips with our new travelin' home.......
Wooly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 10:13 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
Based on the amount of advertising that one RV dealer is doing on TV I really doubt things are nearly as great as claimed in articles and by dealers. You wouldn't spend money on TV for things in short supply.
I expect that some RV dealers are every bit as busy as the news suggests. When we bought our last RV we could not get them to stop calling us until we actually signed the papers. Now, when I try to get some information about a new RV, they don't even return calls or emails. When I spoke with a salesman to ask a question and commented that they are probably pretty busy he responded with something like "Oh, yeah. That we are".

I sometimes watch the Matt's RV Reviews on YouTube and in one of them he apologized to people who had called or emailed and not gotten a response. If an RV sales guy is apologizing for not responding to calls, then he or she must be very busy. When I sent an email to ask a series of questions I never even got an acknowledgement, and I can only assume that means that he is very, very busy.

And when I look for available Thor Vegas/Axis 24.1 models all I see are listings with "Sold", "Pending" or "On Order". That means they really are selling like hot cakes.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 10:32 AM   #24
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
I expect that some RV dealers are every bit as busy as the news suggests. When we bought our last RV we could not get them to stop calling us until we actually signed the papers. Now, when I try to get some information about a new RV, they don't even return calls or emails.
Well that would be a sign!

FWIW, part of the reason I doubt it is that I bought in January and was regretting my purchase at that time due to Covid-19 restrictions. Running out and buying an RV isn't something I would do in response to Covid-19. But then again, I didn't run out and buy toilet paper either.
Old 09-14-2020, 10:43 AM   #25
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Well that would be a sign!

FWIW, part of the reason I doubt it is that I bought in January and was regretting my purchase at that time due to Covid-19 restrictions. Running out and buying an RV isn't something I would do in response to Covid-19. But then again, I didn't run out and buy toilet paper either.
I didn't think COVID-19 restrictions were in place in January. I thought that started in March and April.

In any case I understand why people are buying RVs due to COVID-19. My wife does not want to spend a single night in a hotel due to her concerns about the virus and I would not care to get onto an airplane either. RVs seem like the logical alternative.

That is not why we bought and, in fact, we have been RVing since about the year 2000, but I do understand why people are turning to RVs. Personally I think many of them will decide it was a bad idea and be selling inside of a year, but we will see what happens. Not everyone really enjoys being out it nature boondocking without the conveniences that they might have at home, and I think that campgrounds are going to be very busy.
Old 09-14-2020, 10:53 AM   #26
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
I didn't think COVID-19 restrictions were in place in January. I thought that started in March and April..
No, they weren't. I was aware of Covid-19 because I'd been following the news, but I expected it to be like Sars and Ebola, etc., even though for years I've been afraid of a pandemic situation.

But the reason I couldn't travel much before March was it's too cold in Washington--freezing weather. I don't expect to do much if any camping between December and February.

Also the one trip we did in March the camp host at the state park was later diagnosed as having had Covid-19 at that time! Then the state never sent out an email indicating that they were opening up the parks for camping, and if that made the news I never read about it. So we went about six months without using the trailer at all.
Old 09-14-2020, 11:14 AM   #27
Winnebago Master

Quote:
But the reason I couldn't travel much before March was it's too cold in Washington--freezing weather. I don't expect to do much if any camping between December and February.
Yes. We used to live in the State of Washington and it does get cold up there. Not really a problem here in Arizona and we travel all year. Up into the mountains in the summer to get away from the heat and around the rest of the Southwest in the winter.

Arizona never closed it's state parks, but instituted distancing restrictions. We decided to stay away from the state parks and instead went boondocking in the mountains, away from anyone else. I assumed that camping in the middle of nowhere with the nearest person perhaps 1/4 mile away was safer than staying at home, so that is what we did.
Old 09-14-2020, 01:04 PM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Inventory around Chattanooga is very low, with the exception of the Camping World store, which still seems to have a lot of product on the lot. The two family-owned dealers south of CW that you can also see from I-75 have maybe 12, 15 units each. They normally have more than 100 TTs and MHs on each lot. I haven't checked with our dealer in White, GA, to see how they're doing, but they don't have much in the way of under-5500 lb TTs. There are 27 listings on their website and only five on the lot. Everything else is "coming soon".

They only have four TTs under $20k, none are Winnebago. The two Winnebagos on the lot are around $25k each, give or take. Back in March, they dropped $4k off of an already-discounted 2019 price as they were trying to to clear the lot for 2020s. They called me while we were driving down there to look at the trailer with the final $2k factory incentive.

Edit to add: No Class C at all (only 4 listed), 1/13 Class Bs, and 6/27 Class As, 17/36 Fifth Wheels listed are on the lot.
Old 09-14-2020, 01:17 PM   #29
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout One View Post
Inventory around Chattanooga is very low, with the exception of the Camping World store, which still seems to have a lot of product on the lot.
I would have to be pretty desperate to shop for an RV at Camping World. Toilet paper, sure. RV, no thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout One View Post
The two family-owned dealers south of CW that you can also see from I-75 have maybe 12, 15 units each. They normally have more than 100 TTs and MHs on each lot.
The largest dealer here in the Phoenix area is LaMesa RV and they seem to be having RV shows all the time. We had nothing to do so we went to one of them to kill some time and were told that they had sold 30 units, including the only floor plan we wanted to see, the previous day.

Not a good time to be buying an RV, but I guess a great time to be selling. Or, perhaps, trading.