Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-09-2020, 02:10 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

R.V. and T.T. prices are climbing and climbing...new and used.

..so claims a recent FYI from my selling dealer of my 2018 1706FB. The dealer claims that the factors of C19, reduced staff at the major manufacturers, (some not returning to work, or scared to..), construction supplies that go into the making of that R.V. or T.T., O.E.M. equipment, appliances, air-conditioners, etc...are in low chain supply, or back ordered and waiting for the factories to get it...are all adding to the ever, escalating 'end asking price' of any dealer customer orders, or yard orders at this time.

They (the dealer owners and staff) don't see this as being relieved, any time soon, or even within three years. Also, unit pressure as an unprecedented and unexpected BOOM in current and new customers, coming in, and looking to purchase another, or a first time unit. They are begging for trade in's, and sale-consignment contracts...

So, glad I bought a year before all this madness hit.

So, a question...for anybody that is wishing to purchase a new or used T.T. this year...have you found at your residence location, rising 'asking on lot' prices, as well as higher prices in the used sector? Wondering...

What's been your buying experience in the last 12 months, (with the prior 12 months as the baseline?)
Sun_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 02:22 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I’m paying $3K more than I would have in January. I’m not thrilled about it but that is how supply/demand works, especially given the “local dealer” constraints imposed by the RV industry (unlike autos). Luckily I’m also selling a trailer so I should get a bit more there than I would have otherwise. It seems that the smaller trailers have the highest vapor pressures right now.
backtrack15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 02:23 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Based on the amount of advertising that one RV dealer is doing on TV I really doubt things are nearly as great as claimed in articles and by dealers. You wouldn't spend money on TV for things in short supply.
Old 09-09-2020, 02:37 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
Based on the amount of advertising that one RV dealer is doing on TV I really doubt things are nearly as great as claimed in articles and by dealers. You wouldn't spend money on TV for things in short supply.
Yeah, but the one caution I say to that, Goodspike...is that some dealers could be ad baiting and switching...to GET YOU to their lot..and then oh...that was just sold a day ago...BUT...we have THIS right now...and can be had for a few $$$$ more than what that 'sold one' went for...

You know, we have seen that on T.V.'s...cars...fridges...couches...you name it, that tactic...to get you there. The worse you will do, is walk away...but they did have a chance to snag ya.

My dealer (in the same PDF, ) also apologized up front for such low stock in the front end store and parts department...for instance, back-ordered sewer support systems, and stuff that has always been in good on-site supply. So...there is low stock pressure for sure...and I would imagine that that would also cover 'on-dealer-lot' units, as well as a custom order. As I said...glad that I bought when I did...
Old 09-09-2020, 02:40 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtrack15 View Post
I’m paying $3K more than I would have in January. I’m not thrilled about it but that is how supply/demand works, especially given the “local dealer” constraints imposed by the RV industry (unlike autos). Luckily I’m also selling a trailer so I should get a bit more there than I would have otherwise. It seems that the smaller trailers have the highest vapor pressures right now.
Hi Backtrack15,

Most people would have thought you would be SAVING (historically) at the end of year...for dealers to reduce 'lot carry stock' over the Winter. So I guess your very experience lends credence to my recent PDF FYI from my selling dealer. Interesting. The good news..is that you HAVE a unit...as my dealer says that even Part orders for air-conditioners..is simply not shipping existent and on severe back-order! Same for even sewer hose support systems! I have also been reading that wood prices are sky-rocketing right now...plywood sheets, 2x4's, 2x2's...all that goes into new units down the Assembly Line. I think that people that are waiting for a 'adjusted price drop'..are gonna be in for a disappointment, any time soon!
Old 09-09-2020, 02:42 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We live in SoCal. We started looking for a used Class A or C RV on July 1. Every ad we called was sold before we could see it. Especially the Class B and C units
. Sold! Sold! Sold! No matter what size. I finally caught a break. I was watching Craigslist 4 times a day. I saw a new at at 3pm, called and told the guy please hold while I jump in the car and get over there immediately. He kindly did hold. When I arrived an hour later he was on the phone with another guy begging him to hold it also.

We looked it over quickly, and cut a deal because it was a 2004 E450 with only 12,000 original miles. He was asking $24,500. We settled at$23,500 and I handed him the Benjamin's. Yes, it needed some things, but I was happy to get it.

We are right now enjoying our first trip with it, and loving it. Minnie Winnie 29.
DesertRatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 02:57 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRatt View Post
We live in SoCal. We started looking for a used Class A or C RV on July 1. Every ad we called was sold before we could see it. Especially the Class B and C units
. Sold! Sold! Sold! No matter what size. I finally caught a break. I was watching Craigslist 4 times a day. I saw a new at at 3pm, called and told the guy please hold while I jump in the car and get over there immediately. He kindly did hold. When I arrived an hour later he was on the phone with another guy begging him to hold it also.

We looked it over quickly, and cut a deal because it was a 2004 E450 with only 12,000 original miles. He was asking $24,500. We settled at$23,500 and I handed him the Benjamin's. Yes, it needed some things, but I was happy to get it.

We are right now enjoying our first trip with it, and loving it. Minnie Winnie 29.
A hearty "congratulations"! Just in the last three weeks, I had three couples walking their dogs on the far side of the street address me, and ask if our 2018 1706FB was for sale??. "No, I'm afraid not". They see it sitting on my driveway, and feel inclined to ask. My selling dealer, told me outright, over the phone, that if I would (think to) bring my unit back on Consignment, they would have it sold at least for $4,000.00 more than I paid for it, probably within 72 hours!!! (Of course they know what I paid for it, lol), and if I would be getting $4,000.00 MORE...just what would THEY be getting on top of that! I guess the used R.V. and T.T. market is red hot, right now...and wowzer...we are going into mid September to boot!

Will be interesting to watch the next 24 months...and see how many more thousands-plus, units will be going for.
Old 09-09-2020, 03:05 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_Seeker View Post
Hi Backtrack15,

Most people would have thought you would be SAVING (historically) at the end of year...for dealers to reduce 'lot carry stock' over the Winter.
As a northerner trapped in Texas, camping season begins in October and ends in April. I’m not sure RV sales here really suffer a winter “low” as they do up north. There is a notable bump in the spring as people anticipate summer travel.

My dealer (like all others here) has no inventory on the small end of the spectrum. My hitch was hard to get. My twist-on dump valve has been backordered forever. My trailer was built two weeks ago and is still awaiting a delivery driver (not normal). It’s nuts here. Luckily I already know where to camp and have my reservations in place through Christmas. Lucky for me I also already have a trailer (not quite as comfy) and will keep it if the new one looks like it was built in 10 minutes.
backtrack15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 03:13 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtrack15 View Post
As a northerner trapped in Texas, camping season begins in October and ends in April. I’m not sure RV sales here really suffer a winter “low” as they do up north. There is a notable bump in the spring as people anticipate summer travel.

My dealer (like all others here) has no inventory on the small end of the spectrum. My hitch was hard to get. My twist-on dump valve has been backordered forever. My trailer was built two weeks ago and is still awaiting a delivery driver (not normal). It’s nuts here. Luckily I already know where to camp and have my reservations in place through Christmas. Lucky for me I also already have a trailer (not quite as comfy) and will keep it if the new one looks like it was built in 10 minutes.
Wow! ----> "My trailer was built two weeks ago and is still awaiting a delivery driver (not normal). It’s nuts here."

Well, congrat's to you for EVEN having one ready to get delivered! Enjoy, and I hope your initial inspection walk-through ONLY puts smiles on your face(es)! Enjoy it immensely!

Sun Seeker
Old 09-09-2020, 03:46 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Our experience looking in April-June was one of frustration. Very few Class A's available, and when we went to look, they were either sold, or being sold. We ended up looking online, and from CA to the midwest, we finally found ours in Columbus, OH. Flew out there, and took our maiden voyage of 14 days and 3,000 miles through 10 states. Quite the adventure.

Look for many sales in Spring when people realize that campers take a lot of work, and there isn't a maid to clean the bathroom like in the Hotels.

San Francisco Bay Area
sundog964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 04:09 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundog964 View Post
Our experience looking in April-June was one of frustration. Very few Class A's available, and when we went to look, they were either sold, or being sold. We ended up looking online, and from CA to the midwest, we finally found ours in Columbus, OH. Flew out there, and took our maiden voyage of 14 days and 3,000 miles through 10 states. Quite the adventure.

Look for many sales in Spring when people realize that campers take a lot of work, and there isn't a maid to clean the bathroom like in the Hotels.
LOL! Happy to read you had a great trip back with your new acquisition!

A few of we 'also campers' at the office water cooler, had a discussion about that very thing...and most of us, feel that there has been a 'forever' shift in the population, as regards any form of recreation, where the family or couple MUST mix with a higher density of strangers, such as at a resort or hotel. With an R.V. and T.T. (or tent), one can have a very large social distancing 'net' by means of their camping site, and never even have to get near anybody else, let alone, enter a public washroom...and we all figured that we will not see fire sales...but that people for their own personal sense of health security moving on into the years...will 'buck up'...learn the ropes...will gladly pay for fees and maintenance, which will be a 'form' of Recreational Health (mental as well as physical) Insurance. Just something else to budget and pay for. Time will tell, of course...but personally? I don't think that (the next Spring Sale and Dump Stampede) is going to happen.

Post Covid 19, as well as the Bubonic Plague (the medieval 'Black Death') having its first landed case in the United States (last month)...that came out of East China , having risen again,...and, was thought to be basically eliminated by the 18th century. I think our new camping Brothers and Sisters, are here to stay...at least for the next decade.
Old 09-10-2020, 06:37 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

In addition to all the Covid related RV sales, there is the "van life" movement among younger folks, who find RVing cheaper and better than renting apartments or buying homes.

In my area of SoCal, custom can builders for Sprinter and Transit have a year long back log!

The world is changing.

When we sold our Airstream 4 years ago, I thought I was done RVing. I'm now more enthusiastic than ever! At my age, the Class C is so much easier than towing a TT. after 1 trip in sold!
DesertRatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 08:31 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Just looking at this forum alone adds some insight to what is going on in the RV world as we are now seeing a flood of folks who have never been near an RV before! So with lots on new customers, lack of labor, and a totally screwed up supply chain, the obvious result is higher prices.
We are very much living in a dream world at the moment as long as federal dollars are holding up the economy, so there will be a really big drop when that stops. And at that point, the question becomes how we each manage. Does the RV market continue on with enough people having money laid aside to do the trip, or does it go down due to all the folks in the travel, recreation, restaurant businesses, etc. who have announced folding in October? If the country has moved to RV, where does that leave the folks at airlines, motels, restaurants and the full circle of things? As long as the US is restricted from overseas travel due to such high rate of Covid, we are not in good shape.
This is a common news item now:
https://www.cbs46.com/news/delta-war...ent%20packages.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 11:46 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Just looking at this forum alone adds some insight to what is going on in the RV world as we are now seeing a flood of folks who have never been near an RV before! So with lots on new customers, lack of labor, and a totally screwed up supply chain, the obvious result is higher prices.
We are very much living in a dream world at the moment as long as federal dollars are holding up the economy, so there will be a really big drop when that stops. And at that point, the question becomes how we each manage. Does the RV market continue on with enough people having money laid aside to do the trip, or does it go down due to all the folks in the travel, recreation, restaurant businesses, etc. who have announced folding in October? If the country has moved to RV, where does that leave the folks at airlines, motels, restaurants and the full circle of things? As long as the US is restricted from overseas travel due to such high rate of Covid, we are not in good shape.
This is a common news item now:
https://www.cbs46.com/news/delta-war...ent%20packages.
I have been living in Canada (moved by my Company for a head'up) from SoCal (Malibu) for a number of years. Met my Canadian wife, here. What we are finding, is that a lot of Venture Capital, is looking at soaking up farm lands, rural properties, near (within 30 miles) of traditional vacation/recreation spots...for the purpose of cashing in on the new R.V./T.T. revival. Your money makes nothing sitting in liquid investments...and the Equity Venture Crowd can envision packed to the gills, R.V. Resorts...charging daily...$48.00 to $80.00 per night. This is being noticed...so...the end result, is most of the RV/TT crowd in Ontario, expect over the next 96 months..to see new Resorts hanging their 'We're Open' plank on the door.

Two or three, are also aware that a lot of the newer, late-model RV/TT's...have heated and insulated underbellies and tank components...SO...are looking at making them 12 month affairs...with such as indoor, heated swimming pools, and one place near Chatham, Ontario...is thinking of adding camping to its already in-place , indoor swimming pool, health spa's..and 18 hole mini-putt-putt. The place also includes two fast food courts, and they are thinking of adding fine dinning as well. Obvious to my wife and I..that this C19...was a life and game changer...frankly...I think we are back to the 1960-1980 years, RV/TT camping lifestyle 'revival'. Since we do have a fully heated and insulated underbelly...I know that we (having our 1706FB accessible by merely sitting outside on our driveway...for quick get-away's...would be interested in a Winter Wonderland T.T. vacation...for we also love Cross Country Skiing...as a way to hold back, our love of gourmet food! So far..the plan has worked, lol. So far...lol! With being active in the Summer months..we don't sweat (well, I do., lol) what goes down the gullet.
Old 09-10-2020, 11:49 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I have been living in Canada (moved by my Company for a head'up) from SoCal (Malibu) for a number of years. Met my Canadian wife, here.
Does that mean you also have a U.S. wife?
Old 09-10-2020, 11:57 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
Does that mean you also have a U.S. wife?
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL ROTFLMAO....LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good one...and YES...if you will place an EX, in front of the moniker, LOLOLOL! She is also here, residing in Ontario (came up with me of course, from SoCal, along with the kids, after my career re-deployment)...and--->after the Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-Vorrrrrce...in time, has since remarried to a fellow outta Kentucky. They moved for awhile (good riddance...) back to Ken...but now are back, I think, after hearing I am remarried last year...JUST TO ANNOY ME! LOL...oh well..live long enough, and Ex's, come with the living years...
Old 09-10-2020, 02:00 PM   #17
Navion 24D on order.

Higher prices plus longer lead time.

Ordered our Navion 24D yesterday. The price is the price. No dickering.
Eight month lead time.
The lead time on a Leisure Travel Van product is one year.
Lead time on a Lazy Daze class C is two(2) years!!

Recently sold our Escape fiberglass trailer in 12 hours. Full asking price. Close to what I paid for it.
EdIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 02:29 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdIAm View Post
Higher prices plus longer lead time.

Ordered our Navion 24D yesterday. The price is the price. No dickering.
Eight month lead time.
The lead time on a Leisure Travel Van product is one year.
Lead time on a Lazy Daze class C is two(2) years!!

"No dickering?!?!? They basically informed you of take-it-or-leave-it pricing? Yeah..from what my PDF FYI email (dealer ) relayed as 'what is' in Ontario...I can see that. Wow...

Recently sold our Escape fiberglass trailer in 12 hours. Full asking price. Close to what I paid for it.
...and I don't doubt that for a second. I have had so many people walk up to me on my (get back...your C19 flamers! Back , I say!!!!) driveway to ask if we had it there, to sell. So much RV/TT interest, seen everywhere now. Glad to read that you made out on that end of things. That had to make you two happy! Good luck with your new ride, when delivered! So...from reading the invited responses on this Forum thread,...doesn't sound to me, that my dealer is seeding the 'buy now..alarmist' gimmick. Sound's like it advised, true. Not thrilled to read that, unless you only wanted in the future to sell your RV/TT and stay out of the genre.

Took a peek at your choice of ride...no problem envisioning the two of you ENJOYING that baby! Cheers!

Old 09-10-2020, 02:48 PM   #19
Navion 24D on order.

Quote:
....doesn't sound to me, that my dealer is seeding the 'buy now..alarmist' gimmick. Sound's like it advised, true. Not thrilled to read that, unless you only wanted in the future to sell your RV/TT and stay out of the genre.
The dealer knows that if you don’t buy that unit someone else will.
No need to take a low offer.
This dealer said they are on an allocation from Winnebago. If they could get 50 Navions and 50 Revels on their lot they could sell them all.
Seems a major cause of the shortage is the availability of the chassis. Ford E450, Ford Transit Van, MB Sprinter. Limited supplies I’m told. Covid 19 has really affected the manufacturing process.
EdIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 02:55 PM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

I was looking for a used Class C diesel for months, then one day I drove by an RV dealer and parked in the waiting lot was a 2018 24J, so I went in asked about it. It was driven into the dealer about 20 minutes before and still had the owners items in it while he was trading in for a Class A. I put down a deposit and had to go back to check it out the next day. Now I'm a proud owner of an almost new 24J! It was my lucky day!
Willford is offline   Reply With Quote