Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-22-2022, 02:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Montana RV registration

Have any of you registered your RV in Montana? If so, can you name a reputable company that handles this? We moved to Another state to be near our kids last year and they charged me sales tax because I didn’t buy my RV in that state. It was over $4000. The renewal is due this month and it’s almost $1500. That’s crap! Any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated.
JDove22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 05:51 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDove22 View Post
they charged me sales tax because I didn’t buy my RV in that state. It was over $4000.

That doesn't seem even remotely legal, if you paid sales tax to the state you lived in when you bought it.

Some states have really cracked down on Montana registration, I'd check around and see what other local RV owners say about it.
Old 03-23-2022, 08:34 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyocamper View Post
That doesn't seem even remotely legal, if you paid sales tax to the state you lived in when you bought it.

Some states have really cracked down on Montana registration, I'd check around and see what other local RV owners say about it.
This is common. If you purchase an RV in say, New Mexico, which has a 3% special sales tax rate for RVs, but you live in say, Texas which a 6.8% sales tax when you register your RV in your home state you are going to have to make up the difference.

I used this example, because I live in Texas and bought my RV in New Mexico.

Of course, I knew about this upfront. I declined paying any sales tax on the purchase in New Mexico and had 30-days to register in my home state and pay the full amount at that time.

There are those living in other states that try to avoid sales tax by buying in New Mexico and then registering in New Mexico, licensing in New Mexico and renewing yearly in New Mexico. But that’s a recipe for trouble as every other state is on the lookout for this.

The same goes for Montana. You set up a Montana LLC and register your RV as a Corp owned vehicle. Again, everyone is on to this dodge even Montana goes after these attempts.
Old 03-23-2022, 03:00 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Same situation when I had an airplane, my county of residence wanted the .25% difference in tax because the county purchased in had lower sales tax. The tax monsters would sit at the airport and write down tail numbers so they could research the state, county purchased and make up the difference for their county. If they they thought the aircraft might be hangered in their jurisdiction they would go on the hunt to see where it was registered and go after the owner/corp for the tax.

Chances are they drive by storage lots and do the same thing regarding motor homes.
Old 03-23-2022, 04:46 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
This is common. If you purchase an RV in say, New Mexico, which has a 3% special sales tax rate for RVs, but you live in say, Texas which a 6.8% sales tax when you register your RV in your home state you are going to have to make up the difference.

I used this example, because I live in Texas and bought my RV in New Mexico.

Of course, I knew about this upfront. I declined paying any sales tax on the purchase in New Mexico and had 30-days to register in my home state and pay the full amount at that time.

There are those living in other states that try to avoid sales tax by buying in New Mexico and then registering in New Mexico, licensing in New Mexico and renewing yearly in New Mexico. But that’s a recipe for trouble as every other state is on the lookout for this.

The same goes for Montana. You set up a Montana LLC and register your RV as a Corp owned vehicle. Again, everyone is on to this dodge even Montana goes after these attempts.
We purchased our RV new when we lived in NC. We were there for 3 years after that. When we went to register them in KY, they didn’t think the 2% sales tax was enough from NC. So they charged us an extra 4.5%. Now, just 5 months later, they want ANOTHER $1200!🤬

I am a retired LEO and I don’t want to do anything illegal. But they want MORE than a pound of flesh here. They can do want they want with my other vehicles, but I’m through with paying through the nose for my Motorhome.
JDove22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 07:01 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I understand that aspect, and I think it's justified. What I said was
Quote:
if you paid sales tax to the state you lived in when you bought it
The OP confirmed that, he paid sales tax in NC when he bought the RV, I think it's pretty sketchy for KY to try to collect sales tax when he moves there.

I bought my MH in CO and paid WY sales tax. If I now moved to CO and was told I had to pay extra sales tax to make up the difference I'd likely just keep my WY registration and plates.
Old 03-23-2022, 10:25 PM   #7
Site Team

North Carolina has very a unusual tax on motor homes. It’s not really a sales tax, but a Highway Use Fee. It’s 3%. But it’s not a sales tax.

This is an issue between you and the taxing authority in your current state.

Trying to move the registration to a different state entirely sure doesn’t sound like a practical solution.
Old 03-28-2022, 08:03 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Registering your RV in MT or SD is legal. Just be sure you understand the requirements. Good luck. It sounds like KY screwed you!
GotUr6 is offline   Reply With Quote