Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-07-2021, 10:57 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRatt View Post
I think I'm spiraling down a rabbit hole!
The more I discover about toads, the more it makes me wonder if I wasn't better off with the Suburban-Airstream TT setup. Ain't no free lunches in sight!
well, that's a different decision path which basically boils down to MH vs TT.

Quote:
I don't have a farm or huge lot where I can store all these vehicles. So a toad would also mean more storage than I already have for the RV. 3 cars is more insurance, maintenance, etc too.
for years our toads have also been our daily drivers. why couldn't that be the same for you?

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 12:28 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
well, that's a different decision path which basically boils down to MH vs TT.

for years our toads have also been our daily drivers. why couldn't that be the same for you?

My DD is a Lincoln Town Car. (No interest in any car smaller than that).

I suppose we could use my wife's SELTOS on a dolly. My chance of talking her into that would be slim.
DesertRatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 01:12 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Quote:
My DD is a Lincoln Town Car. (No interest in any car smaller than that).

I suppose we could use my wife's SELTOS on a dolly. My chance of talking her into that would be slim.
well, i guess that makes your decision and EZ one. safe travels.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 04:05 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

I tow a 2013 Smart car.

Can't get any smaller than that.

Since it is out of production and never did well in the Marketplace, you can get them dirt cheap. Stay away from the electrics of course.
jrpend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 04:14 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

After much research I settled on a 2014 Chevy Sonic. Small and lightweight, towable 4 down with auto trans. Barely know it's behind us.
Dentkimterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 04:26 PM   #26
Winnebago Camper

My toad is a 2015 Ford Fiesta weighed 3500 lbs. Just got it last Oct so haven’t tried on any trip yet except around the neighborhood.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	64CF97E3-C652-4684-B141-2DEC1F282393.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	351.5 KB
ID:	177689  
SimonSKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 04:29 PM   #27
Winnebago Owner

Has anyone rented at their destinations vs dragging all that weight behind you?
sduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 04:31 PM   #28
Winnebago Owner

I TOAD my 2009 VW Beetle I-5 M/T..
Lmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 04:57 PM   #29
Winnebago Watcher

Anyone try towing an old VW Beetle?

My wife wants me to tow our 64 Beetle (6 volt). It is lightweight and a manual transmission, but how would the brake kit work?
kwalker629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 05:00 PM   #30
Winnebago Camper

I tow a 2018 Ford Fiesta SE automatic, 4 wheels down. I bought my car used in December 2020 with 30K miles on it. I had a local shop install the BlueOx base plate and wiring. I already had a previous toad and had the tower, braking system and everything else that you might need already. Here is a listing on the same Craigslist as above for a 2018 Ford Fiesta (not an SE so it is cheaper):

https://tucson.craigslist.org/ctd/d/...286670814.html

there are other models listed on craigslist as well so shop smart. I love mine and it is my regular "go-to" car for daily use as well.
TKep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 05:14 PM   #31
Winnebago Watcher

We have towed a Honda Fit, automatic trans. Very light and easy to tow. Must be 2013 or older -- new models aren't approved by Honda for towing for some reason. We have a silver 2013 Honda Fit for sale, already set up for towing, with baseplate, and comes with a Blue Ox tow bar. Mileage around 40K (I think!). Recent oil change, new tires. All you'd need is a brake system. On consignment at Nelson RV in Tucson, AZ. (520) 293-1010 Give them a call, tell them Avery sent you!
2begentle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 05:17 PM   #32
Winnebago Watcher

We have towed a Honda Fit, automatic trans. Very light and easy to tow. Must be 2013 or older -- new models aren't approved by Honda for towing for some reason. We have a silver 2013 Honda Fit for sale, already set up for towing, with baseplate, and comes with a Blue Ox tow bar. Mileage around 40K (I think!). Recent oil change, new tires. All you'd need is a brake system. On consignment at Nelson RV in Tucson, AZ. (520) 293-1010 Give them a call, tell them Avery sent you!
2begentle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 05:33 PM   #33
Winnebago Camper

best all around tod or what should I buy to tow.

The gold standard for 4 wheels down flat towing is the Honda CRV. However, 2014 was the last year they where towable. Thereafter, they as many others had to go to the CV transmission for mileage requirements. Also, the 2014 CRV and earlier where very easy to have installed supplemental breaking systems with the towing vehicle. Hondas are almost bullet proof reliable and they are light to tow. I have over 20 thousand tow miles on mine behind three V10 Ford engines in three different Motor Homes and the light weight of the Honda does not seem to draw down gas mileage.
Lastly, when ever I take my Honda CRV in for an oil change and etc, I always seem to get an offer from a car salesman to sell it to waiting customer or a customer approaches me with an offer to buy.
God luck
Larry West
moonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 05:35 PM   #34
Winnebago Camper

We use a 4 door Mini Cooper. Automatic transmission, front wheel drive. So, the front tires go up on an American Car Dolly. The dolly is well built and has surge brakes. There is no need to put a brake applicator on the drivers side floor. I would recommend it. The owner/builder delivers anywhere in the continental US for $100. I think.
aa318906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 05:57 PM   #35
Winnebago Owner

Depending on your destinations and how much you plan on moving around, consider renting...much cheaper in every respect.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 06:01 PM   #36
The "doghouse" .....

We flat tow a 2016 Chev Sonic with Automatic Transmission. This is a great priced vehicle that you can get with low miles for around $9000 or so. All you have to do that is extra is put on the base plate and run the electrical. I did that myself and it is not hard. Used etrailer.com for parts. You need to disable one fuse and I did that by installed a fuse breaker right below and left of the steering wheel. Easy to flip it to "TOW" or "DRIVE". Good luck.... having a toad is so nice to have.
djmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 06:08 PM   #37
Busycakes

I’ve pulled our 2011 Honda Accord (V6, 4 dr sedan, automatic) over 40,000 miles 4 wheels down behind our Sightseer with nary a problem. Honda never OK’d it as a towable.

I do notice the majority of the Honda Accords I see are the 4 cylinder versions. Possibly something different in the transmission? Took it in for it’s 80,000 mile checkup and Honda mechanic commented how good of shape everything was mechanically. I am a stickler for all routine maintenance.

Car was paid for and out of warranty when we started towing it and I took the “risk” to hopefully avoid the expense of buying a toad. It’s paid off for me.

Someone more mechanically knowledgeable may be able to explain why it’s done so good. It may something technical or just be no more than Honda absolving themselves of any liability for issues that might be attributed to towing or maybe just to sell more CRVs?

This has been my experience anyway.
Busycakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 06:13 PM   #38
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwalker629 View Post
My wife wants me to tow our 64 Beetle (6 volt). It is lightweight and a manual transmission, but how would the brake kit work?
What brake kit you looking at? You can get 12VDC from the tow vehicle through the hitch wiring. Same, install additional 12v lamps in the tail lights, run from the tow vehicle.
Phil-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 06:16 PM   #39
The "doghouse" .....

I think your experience with the Honda is pretty typical. There are still so many more vehicles that could be good toads but are not listed as capable. You really need a good mechanic to ask about how it handles the transmission "oiling" as you pull it down the road. In my case by disabling one fuse I can tow it and do two things that are important....1. the transmission is not used so it doesn't wear out or not get oiled properly and 2. no mileage is put on the odometer. Those are things to be sure of along with of course whether it pulls any juice from the battery as you are traveling. Hate to get to camp and have a dead battery.
djmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 01:40 AM   #40
Winnebago Camper

We rent a car whenever there is a need. But it depends on what type of vacation you plan, for instance if planning alot of stops and needing a car at each stop a tow might be better. We tend to drive to and camp for at least a week at each place, so renting tends ti be cheaper overall, than a new car. And driving long distances each day we need a newer and more comfortable ride than a small used car. It works ok for us. Saves time and effort. We use our 25ft rv otherwise.
LuvWildlife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad