Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2021, 10:13 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

California and diesel motorhomes

Just saw this on one of the emails I received. I just wonder if it is legal given the "full faith and credit" clause in the Constitution.

https://camperreport.com/california-...m_medium=email

Probably doesn't affect us because of the weight threshold, but still ...
Old 03-12-2021, 03:08 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

It wouldn't be an issue for any rig that is running properly, the testing will depend on the rig. Newer rigs will get OBD testing and older ones just opacity. No rig will be expected to be cleaner than it was designed to be when it was manufactured. Anyone who illegally deleted emissions equipment might have a problem.
Old 03-12-2021, 03:49 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
It wouldn't be an issue for any rig that is running properly, the testing will depend on the rig. Newer rigs will get OBD testing and older ones just opacity. No rig will be expected to be cleaner than it was designed to be when it was manufactured. Anyone who illegally deleted emissions equipment might have a problem.
I'm hardly an expert when it comes to diesel engines but I believe that different states have different specifications for what passes emissions testing and my question is whether or not California has the legal right to prevent RVs with engines that pass their home state's emissions test from entering their state if they fail the California emissions test. My question is largely academic as to whether or not they have the legal right to do this, and what effects it could conceivably have on out of state drivers.

My understanding is that the "full faith and credit" clause of the Constitution requires that each state honor the decisions of other states in regard to who is a legal driver, when a car is legally licensed and, I would also think, when the car has passed emissions tests.

And how would they handle this? Are they going to give every out of state RV with a diesel engine an emissions test for certification in California? Where? At the entry point? That would be a mess since it would generate huge backups at the entry points. And they would have to do it every time an RV entered that has not already passed the California tests, as well as every year or so.

I assume that if they can do this legally, then they could also require that all drivers from out of state pass the California driver's test and require that all drivers carry the insurance limits that California requires. And imagine if every state decided to do that. The effect on intra-state travel would be enormous.
Old 03-12-2021, 07:06 PM   #4
Site Team

Some folks just want to churn people up and get them worried about "maybes" down the road.

Quoting from the "article."

Quote:
This is only a regulatory concept right now,
Lets all wait to get up in arms and screaming mad until it becomes something other than something someone proposed that might or might not be considered.

LIfe's far too short to worry about what might happen years from now.
Old 03-12-2021, 09:10 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Some folks just want to churn people up and get them worried about "maybes" down the road.
This isn't "maybes down the road". Senate Bill 210 already passed and was signed into law in 2019. CARB is just developing the regulations to implement the law. Now is the time to attempt to influence CARB to make the process as easy and unintrusive as possible. CARB is holding a Webinar/Working Group on the proposed rules this month.

Zoom Webinar - HD I/M Workgroup Meeting

I also share AJMike's concern of individual states over-regulating interstate travel. If CA can do this with motorhomes, then can any state come up with restrictions, regulations, fees, bureaucracies and other impediments to interstate travel?
Old 03-12-2021, 09:52 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I like the reply on the posted link of "Who wants to go to California....."

Been there done that because my son was stationed there. also lived there for a few years back in the '60's.

The are right about one thing, it will definitely affect the RV Park and Resort industry.

We should all ban together right now and stay out of CA for a year!

My state/county doesn't have diesel emission checks.
Old 03-13-2021, 12:28 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I like the reply on the posted link of "Who wants to go to California....."
Of course, the answer to that question is "RVers". CA has beautiful beaches, lakes, rivers, deserts and mountains. Yosemite, Sequoia, Kings Canyon, Tahoe, the entire Eastern Sierra, Lassen, Redwoods, Death Valley, hundreds of miles of coast, etc, etc.

Many parks here are booked 6 months to a year in advance, and the best are quite difficult to get a reservation at all. If fewer out of state campers improves on that, I support a boycott!
Old 03-13-2021, 01:05 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

The regulations are for heavy duty trucks as with a Kenworth or Freightliner and it is silly to think that it will apply to motorhomes. That said, the tractor rigs produce a great deal of air pollution which is literally killing people and even if most of them are "people of color" it is still a concern for those who care. Covid-19 deaths are far higher in cities with notable levels of air pollution as in Texas for example as people's lungs are under attack 24x7.

I am one of those people who think it is wrong to kill people so that I can do whatever I please whenever I please as some god given right. I live where the air is safe to breathe and where the water is safe to drink but I know full well that millions of Americans are not so fortunate. Sad that a Republican president can happily create the EPA and the Clean Water Act but now we have clowns who think that clean air and non-toxic water should be available only for those who can afford in in their gated communities.

It dismays me that so many Americans act with such depravity and even attack our capitol as an armed mob. Maybe it is karma for all the lives we have destroyed with our military in so many other countries, or as Chalmers Johnson termed it "blowback".

Of course no such worries about emissions checks on vehicles or the chemical plants in Texas. And who cares if there is no electricity or natural gas and one freezes to death.
Old 03-13-2021, 02:03 AM   #9

Idiotic thinking begets idiotic comments.

I suggest the moderator take this thread down before things get personal.
Old 03-13-2021, 05:18 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post

Quoting from the "article."

Lets all wait to get up in arms and screaming mad until it becomes something other than something someone proposed that might or might not be considered.

LIfe's far too short to worry about what might happen years from now.
I am not trying to "churn" anyone up, and I guess I am a bit surprised that you would think so. If I had wanted to do that I would have posted something controversial in the COVID forum, or perhaps made some comment about gun control or the past election. I am not "screaming mad" nor trying to make anyone else upset or angry.

I tried to make clear in both my post and my response to the earlier post that this was an academic question - does California or any state have the legal right to impose restrictions above and beyond those imposed by the home state for a driver of a motor vehicle? Or does the "full faith and credit" clause of the Constitution prohibit that? I was looking for opinions, not anger.

In any case whatever happens with this proposed rule would almost certainly not affect me. Our RV is lighter than the threshold specified and even if it were included it is new enough, and maintained well enough I am fairly sure that it would pass any emissions test, California or not.
Old 03-13-2021, 07:54 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
I am not trying to "churn" anyone up, and I guess I am a bit surprised that you would think so.
I don’t think so. I was referring to the publisher of the article only. Not anyone on this forum.
Old 03-13-2021, 07:55 AM   #12
Site Team

It seems that since this thread is about a government policy it has begun to attract political content.

To prevent further political posting the thread is now closed to additional posts.
Closed Thread

Tags
california, diesel, motorhome