Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-09-2021, 08:32 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Dealer service

Hi everyone, we bought our first travel trailer a few months ago, and had some issues so we brought trailer back to dealer to fix/replace.

It has been 3.5 weeks since I dropped it off, and they have yet to even look at it.

Is this typical/normal?
Steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:40 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
welcome to the wonderful world of RV ownership in a booming RV sales market. what's are the problems? can you address them yourself?

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:50 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

There was such a surge of new owners this year, I m guessing they are understaffed of experienced repair people. Don’t let them forget about you! Try to get a work order date.
LuvWildlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 09:37 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I’m sorry to hear this. I’d say it isn’t uncommon. There are lots of stories like yours on RV forums. If possible, I’d recommend tackling the repairs yourself. You can request parts directly from Winnebago. They sent a new thermostat and control kit directly to my home. If the issue is with a third-party component, you might call the manufacturer and ask if there are any other repair facilities that you could use.
Old 03-09-2021, 11:17 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

When I dropped it off on 2/12 they gave me a return promise date of 3/12...this Friday lol.

Most of the things I could probably do myself but two big ones are :

1 - rear AC tripping 30 amp breaker on EPO. When turned on it locks up and draws 50 amps for longer than it should. Long enough to shut EPO down.

2 - water dripping from above clear drain pipe underneath trailer onto axel. It's not leaking from pipe or fitting... Rather seeping out between pipe and spray insulation. Not sure if it's rain water, condensation from ac, drain line, or supply line. So that one will be fun.

We have a week long trip planned, leaving this weekend.

Service lady told me sure I could pick up trailer... And then when we get back - start the whole process over again. The dealer service finder on winnebago website returns a 404 error.
Old 03-10-2021, 05:56 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Unfortunately you just get unlucky sometimes. I've been real fortunate so far to have items that were within my abilities to address. I'll just share a couple of thoughts:

(1) If you think it's appropriate, you might call the warranty number in the AC user/installation manual to see if Dometic will authorize the repair by mobile RV tech or via another vendor. There may be more Dometic authorized service options.

(2) You could inquire with Winnebago about using a mobile RV tech or alternate repair facility (if one exists near you). Grand Design RV was pretty generous in this regard, especially if using the dealer meant undue delay or hardship.

(3) With respect to the water issue, I'm curious if you can slip an endoscope over the main chassis rails and below the floor. This is easy on the Micro Minnie but may not even be possible on your Minnie. If possible, you can look around and potentially see the leakage pathway and/or safe places to make cuts in the coroplast for diagnostic/repair access.

I'm sorry the dealer didn't meet their obligations, and I hope you can still enjoy your trip.
Old 03-10-2021, 08:52 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtrack15 View Post
Unfortunately you just get unlucky sometimes. I've been real fortunate so far to have items that were within my abilities to address. I'll just share a couple of thoughts:

(1) If you think it's appropriate, you might call the warranty number in the AC user/installation manual to see if Dometic will authorize the repair by mobile RV tech or via another vendor. There may be more Dometic authorized service options.

(2) You could inquire with Winnebago about using a mobile RV tech or alternate repair facility (if one exists near you). Grand Design RV was pretty generous in this regard, especially if using the dealer meant undue delay or hardship.

(3) With respect to the water issue, I'm curious if you can slip an endoscope over the main chassis rails and below the floor. This is easy on the Micro Minnie but may not even be possible on your Minnie. If possible, you can look around and potentially see the leakage pathway and/or safe places to make cuts in the coroplast for diagnostic/repair access.

I'm sorry the dealer didn't meet their obligations, and I hope you can still enjoy your trip.
Thanks that is a great idea about seeing if Winnebago will allow a mobile RV tech to take a look.

When I get trailer back I will see if there is anywhere to slip a scope nearby...i had just figured it was packed with insulation in there. I am guessing though I wont be able to determine much, my scope is only about 18 inches long and I bet the leak is further away than that.
Old 03-10-2021, 08:53 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

The dealership just called, they got the trailer in this morning. Problem now is they said they can find nothing wrong with AC
Old 03-10-2021, 10:20 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

I just read your other thread on the AC issue...interesting. It feels like we should see similar threads from others sooner or later. Hopefully the dealer can tackle the water issue for you.
Old 03-10-2021, 01:46 PM   #10
Site Team

You are going through RV ownership training.

After a few instances of this crucial training you'll learn why many of us... most of us?... have figured out to do our best to avoid the dealership all together.

Even when there is the prospect of the Warranty to pay for repairs you will find that the true cost in going to the dealer for warranty work is a) the LOOOOOONG wait times and b) their inability to actually fix anything.

You're lucky, it's a travel trailer. First not all that much can go wrong with it and second any RV mechanic is qualified to fix just about anything.

I know you have another thread on the A/C issue - one suggestion that I haven't seen suggested yet is to contact the A/C manufacturer. Many times I know we skip contacting a dealer and also Winnebago and go straight to the item's manufacturer. Your A/C units are warrantied by WBGO and Dometic or AirCel or someone else depending on the A/C units on your roof.

It would help if your A/C unit didn't run, made a noise, didn't "blow cold" or something quantifiable. The fact that you feel it's using too many amps is something that you may have difficulty getting a company or repair outfit to tackle.
Old 03-11-2021, 06:23 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
You are going through RV ownership training.

After a few instances of this crucial training you'll learn why many of us... most of us?... have figured out to do our best to avoid the dealership all together.

Even when there is the prospect of the Warranty to pay for repairs you will find that the true cost in going to the dealer for warranty work is a) the LOOOOOONG wait times and b) their inability to actually fix anything.

You're lucky, it's a travel trailer. First not all that much can go wrong with it and second any RV mechanic is qualified to fix just about anything.

I know you have another thread on the A/C issue - one suggestion that I haven't seen suggested yet is to contact the A/C manufacturer. Many times I know we skip contacting a dealer and also Winnebago and go straight to the item's manufacturer. Your A/C units are warrantied by WBGO and Dometic or AirCel or someone else depending on the A/C units on your roof.

It would help if your A/C unit didn't run, made a noise, didn't "blow cold" or something quantifiable. The fact that you feel it's using too many amps is something that you may have difficulty getting a company or repair outfit to tackle.
So apparently there is nothing wrong with either AC. Waiting to here Winnebago response to dealer. Winnebago's response to me has been... You 100% can run both ACs on 30 amp service and there must be something wrong with ACs or wiring.
Old 03-15-2021, 09:59 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve77 View Post
Hi everyone, we bought our first travel trailer a few months ago, and had some issues so we brought trailer back to dealer to fix/replace.

It has been 3.5 weeks since I dropped it off, and they have yet to even look at it.

Is this typical/normal?
As sad as this is to say - I (and many others known to me) NEVER leave our coaches at a dealership. We stand at the service counter until we see our units brought into the bay. We wait around to be sure they keep working on it until job is completed. It was not this bad in recent times, but covid, the increase in numbers of ppl getting rvs has risen so much that most dealers have all they can manage in keeping up with the jobs for deliveries of units sold. I'd suggest going to the manufacturer of your unit for repairs. That's all we ever do. Good luck
Sheilag1848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 08:17 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

It is typical. Unless it’s something costly, we try to avoid dealers. We are on our second Winnebago and bought used this time. Even used, it still had a few months warranty left, but couldn’t get any dealer to do anything in a timely manner. I think they were waiting for the warranty to run out. We have tried to find good individual RV repair people.
AZ Okies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 11:01 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

RV repair techs are in greater demand than auto mechanics. In my area, there is one Winnebago dealer and one Camping World. Both their repair shops are hacks. There is one reputable RV repair shop within 100 miles. They have four techs, and three bays. There’s a four week waiting list just to get your rig onto their lot, and another 3 weeks before it gets into a bay. The owner told me his business was growing before last year, but that it doubled after Covid started, even after raising prices from $85/hr to $110/hr. Probably the same where you are. Sorry.

Tags
dealer, service