Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2006, 09:26 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

When about to leave on my last trip with a caravan of four other rv's waiting for me I did a dumb thing and left the coach while locking it ( just habit!) and assumed that my keyless entry would always work, and I was wwrroonngg!! So here I am stranded with all my keys locked up in side my coach and of course all of the windows locked up. I had the keyless entry repaired on my factory visit but apparently it just stopped working again . With the crowd waiting I thought about calling AAA but instead I was able to get into the fuse box on the front left of the coach and by pulling the door lock and unlock relays, to my suprise it unlocked the door. I know this is maybe not the best thing to be posting, but if it can help someone else in a situation I hope it is worth it. So the moral is never leave your coach assuming your keyless entry will work and also keep your compartments locked knowing how easy it is to gain access if you know what to do!

2005 40KD Horizon 400ISL
Lucchese1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 09:26 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

When about to leave on my last trip with a caravan of four other rv's waiting for me I did a dumb thing and left the coach while locking it ( just habit!) and assumed that my keyless entry would always work, and I was wwrroonngg!! So here I am stranded with all my keys locked up in side my coach and of course all of the windows locked up. I had the keyless entry repaired on my factory visit but apparently it just stopped working again . With the crowd waiting I thought about calling AAA but instead I was able to get into the fuse box on the front left of the coach and by pulling the door lock and unlock relays, to my suprise it unlocked the door. I know this is maybe not the best thing to be posting, but if it can help someone else in a situation I hope it is worth it. So the moral is never leave your coach assuming your keyless entry will work and also keep your compartments locked knowing how easy it is to gain access if you know what to do!

2005 40KD Horizon 400ISL
Old 01-23-2006, 09:59 AM   #3

Not that this will help you now, but this happend to a friend of ours. They had an Itasca Suncruiser and the Mr. locked the door thinking the Mrs. had the spare keys on her...not! Well, just for "giggles" one of our group suggested trying their key from their Adventurer (different year). Well, guess what...the Adventurer key opened the Itasca. They were greatful, but it made us all wonder how safe our locked coaches were.
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 11:34 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I was afraid of being locked out one day so I had a spare set of keys made, put them in a small metal box and secured the box in a hidden space under the coach. I sleep better at night knowing I "can't" lock myself out.

2003 Ultimate Advantage
Ptribbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 12:53 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Here's a no brainer solution to being locked out or losing keys.

Hide a set of keys on the motorhome. I did this on my first rv in 1973 and have been doing it since.

Also comes in handy if the wife locks me out for coming home late!

Tom
currently at Quail Roost RV CG, Crystal River, PA
GO STEELERS!!!!!!
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 01:16 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

At a rally I saw a group get the idea of seeing who's key would work in who's lock. One guy found one coach he could lock using his key, but could not unlock it. Took about 2 hours to get someone from the factory over to the rally grounds to unlock it.

2000 Itasca 35U
N8XV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 02:06 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the advise and belive me nowthere is going to be a hide a key. Normally wife has a set and I have set plus we have the keyless entry that was working so well we thought we were covered. But in a habit of hast I locked and shut the door with everything in it but us and our vacation dwindling by the minute before our eyes but within a 1/2 hour we were off like a herd of stampeding turtles

2005 40KD Horizon 400ISL
Old 01-23-2006, 02:20 PM   #8
Administrator Emeritus

Several real nice places fore and aft to hide a key....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 01:42 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

If I recall correctly, I believe there are a total of 14 different One Place keys in the Winnie product line. So there's a fairly good chance that my key will open your coach and vice versa. Now ignition keys, that's a whole different story...
Old 01-24-2006, 02:21 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Be thankful that someone elses key can open your door. On a trip with a friend we were.
I don't think that many Winnie owners when on a trip is gonna run around seeing whoes coach they can unlock. I know, I know, theres always the one bad egg but i'll take my chances..
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 01:58 PM   #11
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ichn2go:
Be thankful that someone elses key can open your door. On a trip with a friend we were.
I don't think that many Winnie owners when on a trip is gonna run around seeing whoes coach they can unlock. I know, I know, theres always the one bad egg but i'll take my chances.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some fella trying their keys in my coach door lock's liable to end up with a bruised....ego!!
Old 02-17-2006, 04:17 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lucchese1:
When about to leave on my last trip with a caravan of four other rv's waiting for me I did a dumb thing and left the coach while locking it ( just habit!) and assumed that my keyless entry would always work, and I was wwrroonngg!! So here I am stranded with all my keys locked up in side my coach and of course all of the windows locked up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>And here I thouight I was just being paranoid by not trusting my keyless entry and always carrying a set of keys. Sort of defeats the purpose of the keyless entry if you are always carrying keys.

I need to do the 'hide-a-key' thing.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 11:48 AM   #13
Administrator Emeritus

Man it's good to have you back on dry land and back with us again....
Old 02-17-2006, 03:34 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

I second that Bob. I was at John's site and got another laugh out of the fueling wedge. Hope the new prototype is in the works.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 07:00 AM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

Our Winnie Dealer cut us a spare set of keys and proceeded to use a baggy tie-wrap to attach the spares to a pipe in the heater compartment. It has already saved my bacon once.

Leon