Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-06-2024, 04:56 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

DC volts, house batteries 2000 Journey?

I purchased a used 2000 Winne Journey and am new to a the motor home stuff.. Most everything worked that I could check without it being hooked up to an external source. All of the 12 volt lights worked, generator would start, thermostat showed temp, house battery meter showed 12.5 volts. Now today, 6 Jan, the 12 volt lights don't work, generator won't start, nothing shows on the house meter but does on engine batteries. My problem is the generator will not start and the lights don't work. All circuit breakers are in the right position. Could the batteries be dead. I don't know which batteries are the house batteries and which are the engine batteries. The batteries are in a compartment stacked on top of one another with slide out trays, 2 batteries in each. I checked across the batteries and only got 3 volts. Batteries dead??? I can still start the motorhome diesel engine. HELP!!!
Rodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 05:18 PM   #2
Just Trying to Help

Rodger-

Welcome to winnieowners!

The house batteries are dead. So, start the motorhome engine and let it run for 10 minutes. Then, attempt to start the generator. If it starts you should be able to shut off the motorhome engine. The generator will recharge the house batteries. An alternative would be to put a battery charger on the house batteries until they are charged above 12.5V.

You'll want to learn what to turn off or disconnect when the coach is not connected to shore power. There are some continuous small loads on the battery banks. Eventually the batteries die.

A lot of info for your coach is here, including the operator's manual, here, and the battery layout, here. Top tray are the house batteries, bottom tray are the chassis batteries, according to that diagram.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 05:46 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

When you leave the MH parked without shore power for a few days, always use the auxiliary battery disconnect switch, It's normally referred to as the "salesman switch". When this is turned off/open, it disconnects the house batteries from your coach_ except for a few 12V items, like the propane detector.
You might find this website informative reading: https://marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm It has 2 parts.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 08:28 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks. That is useful information. I really appreciate your quick response. I thought the batteries were dead but was not sure.
Old 01-06-2024, 08:30 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks. Guess I will be investing in a 3 cycle battery charger. It appears that I only have 4 batteries total on the motorhome. 2 on the top shelf and two on the bottom. Need to find out if these are 6,8 or 12 volt batteries.
Old 01-06-2024, 09:26 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger View Post
Thanks. Guess I will be investing in a 3 cycle battery charger. It appears that I only have 4 batteries total on the motorhome. 2 on the top shelf and two on the bottom. Need to find out if these are 6,8 or 12 volt batteries.
A 6V battery has 3 fill caps, a 12V battery has 6 fill caps. Each cell is rated at just over 2 volts.
RV's do not use 8V batteries.
Right now I'd use a standard battery charger to bring them back to life. The chart in that link shows battery voltage and state of charge.
Lead Acid batteries normally charge at 10% of their rated amperage. If you have 2 12V batteries connected in parallel they will require twice the charging time as one.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-07-2024, 03:34 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I would venture to say your battery set up is close to mine. The top two are the house batteries, thus the bottom two are the engine ones.

If you are planning on replacing them please oh please take picture of hooked up cables, use zip tie or string to tie cables together once off. The reason being I have read so many post where people have asked for help putting the correct cables back on the batteries. The more you label the better off you will be.

Good Luck and enjoy your new coach
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 07:48 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

At the age I am now I label most stuff. Thanks.
Old 01-07-2024, 07:51 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks. I know about the caps and how many volts they are but I have one battery with caps and one without caps but you can get to them if you pry the plastic piece off. To keep the batteries from going dead could you just take off the terminal on the negative post that is attached to the frame. That should stop all electrical going to the 12V system.
Old 01-07-2024, 07:55 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thanks. I know about the caps and how many volts they are but I have one battery with caps and one without caps but you can get to them if you pry the plastic piece off. To keep the batteries from going dead could you just take off the terminal on the negative post that is attached to the frame. That should stop all electrical going to the 12V system.
Yes, just be sure there are no small ground wires still attached.
Old 01-08-2024, 07:44 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I like to make things handy to use if doing it over and over, even if it takes work to get it done to be easy!
Disconnecting the ground is the recommended way to cut flow to/from batteries in storage and doing it on our Rv can be as easy as flipping a cheap switch if we choose right.
The search term, "battery disconnect switch" will get you lots of options that make it handy but one that works for me as well as any other is one from Harbor Freight at under $5.
I stick it on the negative post and open it when we store the RV.
Click image for larger version

Name:	swt.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	188175

One of the little "secrets" that they don't explain is that the RV disconnect switches DON'T actually disconnect ALL the power drains from either battery and they will run down to damage the batteries if we don't watch!

As a help in sorting the battery cables, there should have been tape markers on the ends of battery cables. They do tend to get lost over the years but if still there, this code may help Id them?
Maybe this can help?

Name:	battery cable ID.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	188176

For smaller wires, there may be labels stamped on the insulation?

Name:	wire ID.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	188177
Use this chart to decode the ID for from and to locations:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ical_guide.pdf
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 09:38 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

ONe more question. Seems that my solar charger/panel might not be working. How do I check it?
Old 01-16-2024, 08:02 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I have a question about something on the side of my 2000 Journey. On the passenger side about 1/2 down there is a locking cover. When you open this cover there is a hole with the word water below it. There is no mention of it in the Journey manual. I have included two pictures of it in the Gallery named Rodger. Does this maybe fill the water tank? Don't know how to attach pictures here. I am trying to winterize my RV.
Old 01-16-2024, 09:59 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I have a question about something on the side of my 2000 Journey. On the passenger side about 1/2 down there is a locking cover. When you open this cover there is a hole with the word water below it. There is no mention of it in the Journey manual. I have included two pictures of it in the Gallery named Rodger. Does this maybe fill the water tank? Don't know how to attach pictures here. I am trying to winterize my RV.
I just replied to that question in your other post.

Tags
batteries, journey, house batteries