Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-30-2023, 01:14 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

7 volts AC current in 110 lines with house breakers off

Just purchased a 2008 View and noticed no power at the galley, entertainment in cabinet outlet, and exterior receptacles.

Eventually, I tracked it down to a loose wire in a connector box behind the kitchen cabinets which contains 3 wires bring power in and distributing it out to the counter receptacle, to the exterior gfci receptacle, and then onto the entertainment receptacle.

I did notice that a few of these wire had been replaced with new romex which tells me someone has been chasing electrical problems in the past.

While working on the lines with the breaker off to the circuit I was working on I was get a bit of a shock, not like a full 110, but noticeable. In one case I grounded the hot wire which sparked and blew the 15 amp gfci protected circuit I am connected to in my garage.

In checking I found it to be between 6.5 and 8 volts. Shutting all the rv house breakers off, but still plugged into shore power I still got the same readings. Unplugged from shore power it goes away.

Is this normal? I read about power leaking between parallel lines, but it it this much? If this is a problem where should I begin looking?
Billrm455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 01:51 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Circuits with shared neutrals will act like that, and opening a neutral when it is shared with another circuit that is energized can get you electrocuted. If you were getting shocked but you weren't grounded it would feel mild but could still be deadly full line voltage.
While I haven't seen a multiwire branch circuit (shared neutral) in an RV, anything is possible especially if someone has been in there working on it. If neutrals from 2 circuits got tied together and you open the splice you will get shocked through any downstream load. When opening neutral splices I always taught my guys to sniff the wires once opened with a NC tester (they won't ring till separated as they no longer have ground reference once opened). (If you see any Romex with a red wire in it and it is not a 3-way/4-way switch or ceiling fan w/light it's probably a MWBC)

As far as your meter showing single digit voltage readings with breakers off but still plugged into shore, I suspect this was phantom (induced) voltage. To verify, use an analog meter or place a resistor such as an incandescent light bulb in series with your red lead, phantom voltage will disappear. Phantom voltage will also show up if the circuit is not grounded, you can see this by holding a NC tester near an ungrounded light fixture or outlet, the tester will ring several inches away.