Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-27-2023, 10:33 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Considering a 2018 View 24D

I'm seriously considering a very nice used 2018 24d View( 48k miles, one owner). Currently have a 2006 24j. Are there any significant issues common to that year/model i should be looking at/ aware of? It has the diesel generator, all other features are pretty standard except it has auto levelers added.
First thing I would consider adding is TPMS, the type that screw onto valve stems, not the ones located inside tires because I will be needing to replace tires in about 10K.
Thanks for your input!
bigbenz78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 09:51 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

When shopping, I find the interactive parts catalog can help me spot some of the pitfalls that may cause trouble at some point!

https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

To get the exact right set, one will need the exact serial number as there were two builds for that year and model, early with a 7th serial number digit of 1 or later with 2?
Serial number, not VIN! This info should be on a label near the driver's left side!

But when I look at both new and late, I spot something which I do not like as we get a number of complaints on the system.
Maybe never happens to you but I like to avoid the question if possible, so something to consider?

Going to plumbing and drains on both early and late I see a design I do not like on the dump valves for holding tanks. Both use a cable setup that goes in, curves and then comes back to the slide mech on the valve.

Click this snip or go direct for better view?

[ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	drain2.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	186797[/ATTACH]

We get report of thes giving trouble in two ways. It is like the controls on walk behind mowers, if you've dealt with adjusting them?
One problem is that they tend to get wet and the inner wire can then rust during storage and setup solidly to the outer wire covering! If not used to seeing them it is a basic wire inside a spiral wire outer cover which leaves it flexible to curve back on itself but still strong enough to move the inner wire through the outer?? That is what gives the push/pull to operate the valve.
But if it rusts it is a bear to get broken loose! The valves don't move!

Second report we get is that the clamps which hold the outer portion solid to things while the inner is meant to move, can get loose. When that happens, you can push or pull the handle but the whole combo moves in the clamps rather than the inner which we need to move!

Hard to explain if you'v not tried to adjust cables of this sort that are common on mowers!

Maybe just a personal aversion but something to factor in when shopping? You can also use the parts catalog to find small points and floorplans as well as tank sizes and locate of drains, etc.

The more we know, the better to shop? So Good luck in the search and enjoy what you find as life goes fast and is rarely simple!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drain.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	186796  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 01:11 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

As I have been searching older threads for info on my purchase of the 2018 View I have come across very few threads regarding any model of 2018 View. I'm wondering if there is any reason for that?
bigbenz78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 03:18 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Interesting thought! But then I might guesthat part of that is simply the number of folks who happen to choose that model in that year, combined with the fact that a five year old model is far less prone to having trouble than the thousands of models made by Winnebago which are still on the road!
Far from precise info on guessing but i ount 7 builds for the view for that year, while there are around 133 total builds of RV from Winnebago that year! So can we say that we would expect only 7 mentions of it out of 133 total?
Newer, smaller, ligher and less confusing for many users, gets less folks who are looking for DIY repair info?
That is a lot of pure speculation but seems it would be true! No great big problems, so no big issues with repairs? Winnebago has been at it for a very long time and I feel they do build a better product than others I have owned! We get questions from folks about rV that are over thirty years old!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
view