Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-25-2023, 09:45 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

faux leather seat problems in 2018 Vista

My 2018 Vista LX's faux leather seats are breaking down quickly. I thought that they were leather...but they are not. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, what seat covers work well to put over both the passenger and drivers seats? Will I still have access to my seat controls? I searched for but did not find similar threads but I am sure they are out there....any steerage in the right direction would be appreciated.
KRJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 05:56 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Maybe this will help but it was a while ago:

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...on-354763.html
Old 07-26-2023, 08:21 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRJB View Post
My 2018 Vista LX's faux leather seats are breaking down quickly. I thought that they were leather...but they are not. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, what seat covers work well to put over both the passenger and drivers seats? Will I still have access to my seat controls? I searched for but did not find similar threads but I am sure they are out there....any steerage in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thank you for this. I hadn't thought of phoning the company but will do that today and see what they have to say.
Old 07-27-2023, 08:21 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

This is an RV industry-wide problem. In the quest to lower production costs, thereby reducing dealer prices, RV mfgrs. spec lower cost materials when contracting vendors. This is one result. In fact, this problem is what caused Flex-Steel to close their RV furniture division. Flex-Steel is still strong in the residential furniture manufacturing industry.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 10:10 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

This sounds about right. Before this rig I had a 1995 Safari and the leather on the seats was still immaculate even after years of use. Manufacturing cost reduction has changed the game. For a few years Winnebago was replacing these seats with better material after the myriad of complaints but now they merely advised some local upholsterers to call. The industry standard seems to have dropped a lot over the past few years especially. Sad to see as the prices for these rigs just keeps climbing. Thanks for the note.
Old 07-28-2023, 06:10 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Sounds familiar. The passenger seat failed on our 2018 after a year, and failed badly. Winnebago sent me a set of covers no charge and I replaced them myself after a few YouTube videos and the purchase of hog ring pliers and rings. Turned out really good.

The drivers seat failed almost two years ago, called again and as stated in the linked thread above, they offered me a set for half price. Since the new set I installed on the passenger seat is now not looking so good again, I didn't want to waste money and effort on another set of the same problems. Still haven't decided on what to do yet, A local upholster wants just about the cost of new seats to redo them with upgraded material. I may just replace both seats "someday". I'm buying lottery tickets in the meantime and traveling as much as we can for now.
thompwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 08:04 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Before giving up on replacement, try opening up the search for folks who will do it!
Check custum boat and car places, etc that do this type thing in different fields.

You may find that RV repair is often done for folks considered to have "deep pockets", while the guy wanting his motorcylce seat repaired is a different breed who doesn't cough up the cash nearly as quickly so the price is lower!

If you do find a set of ready-made but the controls are not what you want, it may work to have a shop "custom fit" the opening you need and still be under the cost of a full custom set! If you happen to have a skirt that covers the controls, having a simple block cut out and stitched back is not a biggie for folks who do custum drapes and have the bigger machine needed for the thick material!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, problems