Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-17-2022, 01:50 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Computer savvy? Drawings help needed!

I like to poke through the drawings and have complained often about the lack of good wiring schematics after the 2010 years, so I was surprised and happy to see what first looked like help and a change when looking at the 2022 Sunstar 32m drawings as it has an entry for "wiring diagram 12 volt"!

That sounded like a major item to find----until I looked!

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File.../000216818.pdf

First look I get a major mind-blowing view that is no help at all.

Second pic is at 500% and still no help

Third is 500% and run through Photoshop with nothing gained!

Any folks with better computer skills have ideas of how we could go to use this info?

What I have posted is the wiring for the awning which was a recent question but I did not know there was any help in the drawings but this does show that item-----if we could read it!

Like getting a Christmas present but told not to open it and it's not for you???
HELP!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drawing89.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	202.3 KB
ID:	183241   Click image for larger version

Name:	drawing 500.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	183242  

Name:	drawing 500+photoshop.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	183243  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 02:02 PM   #2
Site Team

What are you using to look at this? A desktop computer, tablet or phone?

Once I blow the PDF file up to 500% I can still move around the entire drawing with my mouse - The whole drawing is there, enlarged, and much of it is off the screen left, right and down. I just move the scroll bars of the browser window each direction to see the parts that do not show without scrolling.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-06-17 at 3.01.31 PM.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	232.9 KB
ID:	183244  
Old 06-17-2022, 03:10 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Agrre it is all there, I think! But at a sizethat Ican't read muchof the print and certainly have great trouble following any single line from point to point.

Using a desktop with monitor about 20-22 inch diagonal? Windows ten and chrome.

Looking for "magic happens" button!

Hold on, I moved to the second sheet and now see they have given the first sheet as the whole but when moving to sheet two and beyond, I'm seeing it larger, possible hope to read more of it??
Old 06-17-2022, 03:41 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Still lost as the wire codes from the drawing do not match the chart to tell what they do or where they come from or to.

Still too small to read with any certainty.

At one point, I would have guessed they just copied some form of microfiche cards that they used a card reader to magnify but surely they have moved beyond paper cards?

Still looking for a good way to read them.
Old 06-17-2022, 09:03 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

The original is low resolution, so enlarging it is of no value. There is some high priced software that will read an resolve things like this, but it's probably unavailable to the average person.
Old 06-18-2022, 04:15 AM   #6
Just Trying to Help

Richard-

I've worked with drawings and Portable Document Format (PDF) files for many years, and in my opinion the PDF at the link you provided is not useful in any way. There are no techniques I know to make it useful.

PDF is an excellent format for technical drawings, but this is an example of misuse.

I suspect that Winnebago has almost eliminated paper on the production floor. This allows the designer to make diagrams without the page/sheet organization inherent to paper diagrams. It's not an improvement, in my opinion.

If Winnebago wanted to do so, they could train their designers to organize the information suitable for outside folks like us to use. Then they could spend some time revising their computer-aided design systems to "print" that information as useful drawing sets. This PDF indicates that Winnebago does not wish to do either.

I should think the people who pay the biggest price for the lack of decent "paper" drawings is the repair shops. The poor fellow on the production line pays the second-biggest price, though. I can't imagine having to work back and forth between a huge, mal-organized diagram on a computer screen and the physical RV in front of me.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 06:21 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Okay, I was hoping for some luck on getting better info and this seems to be useless for us.They may have some form of projection, etc. that would make it usefull for them but I will just go back to assuming we get not much good info on wiring after 2010.
Old 06-18-2022, 08:53 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I agree with BarryLS, the resolution is just too low to be useful. There must be someone at Winnebago who's in charge of these resources. If they're any good at their job, I'd think they'd be interested in fixing it.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 10:28 AM   #9
Site Team

Autocad will save output to PDF, but it's possible when creating these webpages the PDFs are opened in Photoshop and saved as Photoshop PDFs and they lose all of the layers and then they are saved at a lower resolution and all the details are just gone.

When saving files in Photoshop PDF format you have a choice to not save layers and to save for faster loading in a website.

It could also be a competitive thing as well. Dealers do have their own versions of these sites through a dealer portal. They could be giving dealers the good diagrams and everyone else something less detailed. Kind of like they force owners and other repair shops now to order parts through a Winnebago dealer rather than through Winnebago's Parts dept like a few years ago. That was clearly done to support dealer's service depts.

All are guesses on my part. I have no real knowledge of how they operate.
Old 06-18-2022, 12:11 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I don't think it's a competitive thing. After thinking about this, I'm guessing Winnebago changed their internal technology and hasn't figured out how to transfer it to a useable resource for owners.

Winnebago spent a lot of money on their 3-D parts catalog not that long ago and it has better info/functionality for newer products than for older ones. It's utility goes far beyond a simple parts catalog and doesn't need to be that way just to sell parts.

This should be easier to do than the 3-D parts catalog.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 07:49 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Interesting that I have only found one so far of this type and it is on a 2022 model so possibly it will be found and worked out to better use?

In digging deeper, it seems if I look really hard and enlarge enough to read some of the info it also seems to use different "code" for wires, so that part is also a different problem if we can no longer use the decoder list!

We may just have to wait and see if it becomes something usable or not.