Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-13-2009, 07:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Casters on a DP?

Has anyone ever mounted casters on the back of a DP to stop the hitch from bottoming out? I drag the trailer hitch receiver on the black top about 25% of the time when I back out of my driveway into the street. It is starting to make a mess out of a recently resurfaced road. I put a pair of casters on the trailer hitch receiver mounting bracket on my Class C and it worked great. But this one is a little heavier.
wlf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:15 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to Garbageman
I have the same problem when I enter the highway from my driveway, draging the hitch. I purchased a caster that pinned onto my hitch and used it once. It made a horrible noise when it rolled on the asphalt, like it was being really over stressed. I think there is too much down force and not enough give in the suspension on the DPs to allow the caster to function as designed. I think it actually made it worse since the caster hangs even lower than the hitch. I took the caster off and now I just aim for the grove in the asphalt so I don't make more than one grove. Someday I will restructure the end of my driveway to eliminate the problem. That is my limited experience.

Paul
Garbageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:55 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

I used casters on a Monaco 36 footer while we lived in Knoxville as our drive had a fairly sttep incline going up from the street. Since I was required to make a left turn while exiting the drive, the casters would skid with the rear end coming around, which ended up gouging the drive a little (I'd estimate about 1/8- 1/4 inch deep. However, the hitch and tailpipe were spared from contacting the drive. If you are by chance able to enter or exit your drive straight on, then I think you'll be pleased with the casters. BTW, I still have them (as we have a 40 foot Ellipse now). If you should be interested or have more questions, you can also email me at [email protected]

Good luck!
mg
cd8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:13 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I have used a single steel caster that pins to the hitch with no problems for 7 years. It does make some noise, but at least I know my hitch and tow bar are protected.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:34 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I purchased a set of heavy duty steel rollers that bolt on the trailer hitch bar yesterday from Camping World. It looks like the one shown in this picture.

Name:   Hitch Bar Mounted Roller.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  5.4 KB
They looked pretty good and seemed like they were heavy duty. The rollers were solid steel and had a grease fitting for the bearings. I returned them today however. My hitch bar is 3 1/2" square and the rollers were made to bolt onto a 2 1/2" square hitch bar.

Does anyone know of a source to purchase a similar product for a 3 1/2" bar?
Old 02-22-2010, 09:53 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlf00 View Post
I purchased a set of heavy duty steel rollers that bolt on the trailer hitch bar yesterday from Camping World. It looks like the one shown in this picture.
Attachment 3135
They looked pretty good and seemed like they were heavy duty. The rollers were solid steel and had a grease fitting for the bearings. I returned them today however. My hitch bar is 3 1/2" square and the rollers were made to bolt onto a 2 1/2" square hitch bar.

I think the last thing I would want to do is put the entire rear axle weight on the hitch, even for a few seconds.

JMHO
Dean

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:35 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

The weight is already on the hitch since that is what is hitting the road and scraping. I just want it to move along easier without tearing up the road.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:25 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

i will be watching, tto see what evolves
i was going to put them on mine....after i dragged off the trailer plug in receptacle
but to get the wheels lower than the rear fiberglass it would take a big wheel
and.....the lower radiator metal return plumbing has already been scrapped a time or two
now i am very watchful on weird driveway entrances,
Old 02-23-2010, 09:04 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
The weight is already on the hitch since that is what is hitting the road and scraping. I just want it to move along easier without tearing up the road.
True but adding the rollers lowers the scrape height (unless they are at the same height as the bar itself. But, in general you are correct.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:00 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Here is a LINK for 3 1/2" bars with steel wheels. If you have a welder maybe could add piece of bar to existing hitch and drop wheels further to clear road surface.
May have to make sure rest of hitch can take added weight when dragging over surface.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:58 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

FWIW I agree 100% with hamguy. Just because the hitch is already carrying the weight of the back end does not mean "making it slide smoother" is the fix. I am not an engineer, however, I do not think any load should be in that direction. If it is at home try adding temporary shims to your driveway elevating the rear axle over the point of impact.

2005 Honda CRV, Blue Ox, SMI Brake, TomTom Go 720
Flagelpater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:50 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I had exactly the same problem. For my driveway I needed to raise the hitch more than 1/2in to avoid scraping. The trailer hitch for my 04 Winnebago Journey 34H is mounted ontop of 2 steel rails and attached with 4 bolts. By adding a 1in steel spacer between the rails and the hitch I was able to raise the entire hitch by 1in. this provided the clearance I needed. (the spacers were actually large flat steel washers)

jim & debbie
04 Journey 34H + Suzuki SX4 toad
jimmccreary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:19 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Attachment 3135

The company that makes the heavy steel rollers told me that they would be coming out 3 1/2's some time last year. Google them and call. I am using their weld-on units since you can weld them directly under the frame or very close to it. Don't believe there is a problem with weight as long as the rollers only raise the rear an inch or two and air bags are full. The mfg assured me that their heavy duty rollers can handle that weight.
nsdienes is offline   Reply With Quote