Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-29-2023, 03:01 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Can Anyone Tell Me What This is? 2003 Itasca Horizon/Winnegago Journey

The other day I got in my rig and started it up and it sounded like a jet engine inside. My wife and I both looked at each other and said what the heck is that noise? I traced the noise down the this grille. I can cover it with a magazine or something and the noise goes away. I can't figure out why this started happening so I have two questions.

1. Was there something I did to cause this and if so, is there a solution to fix it?

2. Is it necessary to be open, what would happened if I simply sealed it up?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-4713.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	284.5 KB
ID:	187709   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-4714.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	238.5 KB
ID:	187710  

BobnDonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 03:05 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

It looks like a defroster for the side window. I would check and see if a hose fell off or is damaged.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 03:09 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Aaron, that makes perfect sense. I'll take a look.
Old 10-29-2023, 06:15 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

That is a speaker for an alarm circuit, It is supposed to make a very loud dinging sound. Perhaps the wiring is shorted or loose. You can see it when you remove the dash top cover.
When Morich joins in he can show the exact circuit drawing.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 06:35 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
That is a speaker for an alarm circuit, It is supposed to make a very loud dinging sound. Perhaps the wiring is shorted or loose. You can see it when you remove the dash top cover.
When Morich joins in he can show the exact circuit drawing.
I had looked a bit earlier but not found anything that seemed right. My thoughts were that it did not look like a vent as it seemed to be padded and that combined with the small holes looks more like an audio /speaker grill?
My thoughts might lean toward some form of added speaker that may/may not still be there?

Part of the question might be what type sound OP was getting? Was it just random room noise or more like an audio type /speaker noise?
Something like you might hear from an open hole or sound more like a speaker that should be dead?

Looked and did not see but that doesn't mean it's not hiding somewhere!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 06:56 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I was looking at it on the phone originally... Now that I have seen it on a larger screen the defrost vent is on the left covered up by something. I wonder what type of alarm it is? Most of today's stuff has puny little beepers that we old deaf guys can't hear.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 09:29 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
I had looked a bit earlier but not found anything that seemed right. My thoughts were that it did not look like a vent as it seemed to be padded and that combined with the small holes looks more like an audio /speaker grill?
My thoughts might lean toward some form of added speaker that may/may not still be there?

Part of the question might be what type sound OP was getting? Was it just random room noise or more like an audio type /speaker noise?
Something like you might hear from an open hole or sound more like a speaker that should be dead?

Looked and did not see but that doesn't mean it's not hiding somewhere!
I should have been clearer on the sound. It’s engine noise. It’s as loud as it would be if the engine was located in the front and the grille was covering a duct running straight to the engine compartment.

I think something had to have come loose because the there was no noise when I turned the engine off when we arrived at our RV park and a week later when I started the engine to leave, it was there.
Old 10-30-2023, 07:54 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Sounds like it will take some probing under the dash to find out what's up?

If you want to go direct and try to make sense of the drawings, the parts are here:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...A/3ikp36ld.pdf
Down about page 173-174 for the dash heat/ac.
Not the nice new interactive that I love for the post 2010 models but just simple line drawings, so we can't turn and twist to get the best idea, but I did some snips of the left dash to get these and they leave more questions than answers!
Click these to get better view or go direct for more of the drawing.
first it is printed what I think of as sideways, so I turned the snip to stop my brain ache!

Name:	dash vent.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	187717

Looking down from above, does it mean that one vent actually went out the left side?

Name:	dash vent 2.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	187718

The parts list to ID them also brings questions. They list 3 as NOT USED but show where they used it? HUMMM?

But it does show a box phlenum so if you find a tube on this item, it may still have come off at the other end?

Name:	dash vent3.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	187719

NOT seeing a good clear picture, so it will take some checking!
Old 10-30-2023, 06:19 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Sounds like it will take some probing under the dash to find out what's up?

If you want to go direct and try to make sense of the drawings, the parts are here:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...A/3ikp36ld.pdf
Down about page 173-174 for the dash heat/ac.
Not the nice new interactive that I love for the post 2010 models but just simple line drawings, so we can't turn and twist to get the best idea, but I did some snips of the left dash to get these and they leave more questions than answers!
Click these to get better view or go direct for more of the drawing.
first it is printed what I think of as sideways, so I turned the snip to stop my brain ache!
Attachment 187717

Looking down from above, does it mean that one vent actually went out the left side?

Attachment 187718

The parts list to ID them also brings questions. They list 3 as NOT USED but show where they used it? HUMMM?

But it does show a box phlenum so if you find a tube on this item, it may still have come off at the other end?

Attachment 187719

NOT seeing a good clear picture, so it will take some checking!
Looks like I have my work cut out for me this weekend. Thank you very much
Old 10-30-2023, 07:53 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

As far as engine noise, check the volume on your rear camera monitor--I'll bet it's turned up and that's where your engine noise is coming from.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 08:05 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
As far as engine noise, check the volume on your rear camera monitor--I'll bet it's turned up and that's where your engine noise is coming from.
Oh wow, I’ll bet you’re right. I remember turning the volume up when I was backing into site where it started. We didn’t have good cell reception and I turned it up so I could hear my wife. I probably won’t get back out there until this weekend but I’ll bet you have the winning answer…thanks
Old 10-31-2023, 07:25 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Engine noise picked up at the RV back can sound a lot like engine noise direct from engine! We stops using the volume at all as it was so bad and hard to control. If we had no cell service we went to hand signals!
Old 10-31-2023, 10:18 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

On mine it's for sure that cover is on the back up camera speaker. The first time I left the volume up I thought the wooshing of passing traffic was some kind of AC/vent issue, lol. Now I like to leave the volume up at night to get an advanced warning on vehicles about to pass me.
steffanfay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 02:06 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

That's why I couldn't remember what the speaker is for; I replaced by OEM Sony rear camera system the same year I bought the MH with a wireless system.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 04:34 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

And as part of the confusion and doubt, the drawings were no big help as the audio is often not well supported! Instead of showing a speaker there, they apparently think of the audio and speaker as a part they are not involved with and leave it off!
The newer, interacitve type for after 2010 may also miss showing that part, so we have to take a lot of guess and hints and add them together to get "close" to right!
Old 11-05-2023, 04:40 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Definitely the rear camera volume.
All me how I know!🙄🙄
Farco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 06:31 PM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

I think it is a speaker for your backup camera. The volume button might have gotten turned up.
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 09:32 AM   #18
Boondocker

Judging by the sound you've described, and the location of the pictured grille, i would guess it's a defroster fan gone bad. You'll find out when you take the grille off and look in the hole.
Four Seasons is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
itasca, journey