Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-23-2020, 04:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Boondocking on Farms, Ranches,& An "APP"?

Somewhere in all my reading and U-tubing (possibly I dreamed it?) I seem to hear about an APP, in which private parties who have property big enough for RVs, rent out Boondocking spaces. Or, maybe it was a membership club of some kind?

Does this ring any bells with anyone? Or, was I just dreaming?
DesertRatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 05:54 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Boonedockerswelcome.com. It is a membership club but for a reasonable fee, $50/yr.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:31 AM   #3
2004 Itasca Sunrise

Another is Harvest Hosts which includes a number of wineries, breweries, farms, attractions, etc. but it's only for overnight boondocking. It, too, is a membership club that costs $80 or so per year although discounts are often available and I think we joined this year for around $50. Pretty cool way to see America while traveling from point A to point B but not for multiple-day stays.
AveryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:41 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
Boonedockerswelcome.com. It is a membership club but for a reasonable fee, $50/yr.

David
A slight typo in your URL.

https://www.boondockerswelcome.com/

But thank you--that looks great (as does the Harvest Host one).

I notice the Boondocker site says the hosts don't expect any compensation. Why do they do it?
Old 08-27-2020, 09:36 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
A slight typo in your URL.

https://www.boondockerswelcome.com/

But thank you--that looks great (as does the Harvest Host one).

I notice the Boondocker site says the hosts don't expect any compensation. Why do they do it?
I have no idea "why ey do it" but maybe being isolated they may feel a little better with some neighbors or they just enjoy the interaction.
Old 08-27-2020, 01:52 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topsail View Post
I have no idea "why ey do it" but maybe being isolated they may feel a little better with some neighbors or they just enjoy the interaction.
I bet they get a lot of free liquor and wine!
Old 09-06-2020, 04:20 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I would always give a gift card or bottle of something for the "free" site.
Old 09-06-2020, 06:42 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I have done "free nights stay" for boaters (mostly) either at my dock or in our side yard where we have RV hookups. The reward is meeting new people all of which have become good friends. Not sure I would be doing this during the time of COVID 19 (since I am in my mid 80's and have co-morbidities). But it is a great scheme, and I have friends who belong to both of these groups. They have had only positive interactions.
thataway4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 06:46 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

The hosts get a credit for every time they host. Ultimately they can end up getting a membership for free if they host several times each year. I am thinking about doing this myself. Good luck!
Exploreitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 08:13 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Why they do it

Most of these places are farms with produce stands, wineries, or other businesses that are hoping you will also patronize their businesses. Any rural business with a lot of vehicles around and people arriving and departing will attract street traffic as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topsail View Post
golden13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 08:57 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Hipcamp app

I downloaded a free app called Hipcamp on my phone. If you search an area, you can find properties that can accommodate for small fees. You connect with the owner and decide if it is somewhere that will work for you
Old 09-06-2020, 09:36 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkydudes View Post
I downloaded a free app called Hipcamp on my phone. If you search an area, you can find properties that can accommodate for small fees. You connect with the owner and decide if it is somewhere that will work for you
I've noticed a few of them in Washington are Lavender farms. I like Lavender, but I don't know how much of it I could buy!
Old 09-06-2020, 10:34 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Hipcamp.com is another site that works like airbnb except for camping. Been around since 2013.
Old 09-07-2020, 07:06 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

As a BW host - I only receive a slight subscription extension for each positive rating. Why do I put my land/power/water/wifi out there? Originally as a selfish way to learn from those on the road - both what works and what does not. Now, we enjoy it for the chance to meet new people and to provide a safe haven for travelers. BW allows a person to boondock up to 5 days at a site - some hosts are willing to extend that. We have been hosts for almost 2 years and have met many wonderful people
n9wdq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 07:18 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by thataway4 View Post
I have done "free nights stay" for boaters (mostly) either at my dock or in our side yard where we have RV hookups. The reward is meeting new people all of which have become good friends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by n9wdq View Post
As a BW host - I only receive a slight subscription extension for each positive rating. Why do I put my land/power/water/wifi out there? . . . Now, we enjoy it for the chance to meet new people . . ..
This is actually sort of concerning to me, if the hosts are doing it for social interaction. Even ignoring Covid-19, I get away to get away!

It reminds me of a flight back from Tahiti. The cruise ship comedian was stuck on the plane sitting next to a woman who wouldn't shut up! She just kept talking to him. It would have driven me nuts.
Old 09-07-2020, 07:27 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

social interaction is not required with BW, but if/when the occasion occurs, it can be meaningful. And, yes, we practice safety - I have worked in ICU and ER for over 30 years. Isolation procedures are second nature. If getting totally away is a persons "thing" might I suggest BLM land?
n9wdq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 07:28 AM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

Why I host Boondockers

I've hosted dozens of boondockers traveling through the midwest this past year since joining Boondockers Welcome.
The reason why? You ask.

Simple! Love thy neighbor as yourself.

If we all did that, what a wonderful world this would be.
Hungonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 07:38 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlBarb View Post
Hipcamp.com is another site that works like airbnb except for camping. Been around since 2013.
Thanks! That one actually has a site in Washington I'd consider visiting as an alternative to a state park.