Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-11-2023, 04:39 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Basement AC Effectiveness 2006 Suncruiser

I have a 2006 Winnebago Itasca Suncruiser with what they call a basement AC/Heater. My question is this Should AC keep up with keeping cool in side when outside temp is 80-85 degrees. I am in Florida. AC run constantly
Thank you in advance
Jim
Jim53g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 06:43 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I probably shouldn't be responding since I'm not in FL but I am in the land of 100 degree plus summers. With that disclaimer, my answer is yes if it's operating properly. These units are very effective and very similar to home units in miniature. They're actually heat pumps providing both cooling and heating.

1. It will take forever to overcome the initial heat load so don't expect to drive somewhere and get cool soon after stopping. Better yet, cool it down the night before and run it off the generator while driving. Compressor 1 should run if you plug into a 20A residential outlet with an adapter. Sun exposure can also be an issue.

2. Make sure your filter is clean and the fins on the condenser coil are clean. In most cases, the filter is in the under-mattress storage area, underneath an access panel. If you provide us with your exact model, we can be more specific. The evaporator fins can be accessed by removing the cover of the unit itself. There also could be a leak in the ducting.

3. Make sure both compressors (1 & 2) are running. Each has its own breaker. If your MH has 30A service or if you have a 50A MH running on a 30A or less pedestal, this can be problematical. Running both compressors on 30A is possible but pretty much requires that everything else off. Compressor 1 will start first followed by compressor 2. You'll feel/here the surge and the amps on your power center will jump as the compressors start. If either one won't start you might have a bad capacitor or capacitors. This is an easy and relatively inexpensive DIY fix. There are a lot of threads on this. By running, I mean showing a load, not just the fan.

4. The measure of how well the compressors are operating is the temperature differential between the ambient temperature (inside) and the air coming out of the vents. The difference should be about 15 to 20 degrees. If it's 80 inside, the air coming out of the vents should be 60 to 65, etc. If it's much less, your ducting is OK and filter and coil fins are clean, you could have a compressor and/or charging problem.

5. Here's a link to the service manual (one for model 6535 and one for model 6536) that contain an extensive troubleshooting section. Don't be tempted to take a shotgun approach, find your symptoms and go through the process step by step even if you think a step is unnecessary. If yours isn't this exact same model, don't worry, the model differences are mainly physical differences such as the location of duct connections, etc.

https://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/rvp/6535heatpump.pdf

https://library.coleman-mach.com/wp-...4/1976-294.pdf

6. Here's a link to an extensive writeup on removing these units for service and replacement of the blower.

It can be difficult to find someone to service these units, hence the number of DIY threads. It's my understanding that they are very similar to Coleman units designed for mobile homes so you may find a friendly commercial A/C shop that may take this on. Here's a link to a thread on one person's experience:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/col...ce-581336.html

Additionally, be aware that replacement units are available (new and used) although the price has increased dramatically over the past few years. Personally, despite the expense, I'd consider replacement if you find that you're facing thousands of dollars in repairs that may or may not be successful. Be aware that the location of the duct connection might require some modification. I think this is mainly an issue with Diesel MHs:

https://www.google.com/search?q=cole...hrome&ie=UTF-8
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 03:19 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Bobc gave you some great information and links.

My 07 37' Meridians basement AC works well to keep temps in coach cool.
I did a couple things to help with the cooling process. The windshield is nothing more than a large magnifying glass. You will neeed to add some type of reflective material to help keep the heat of the sun out of your rig. We found some reflective material at a fabric store and made and additional front shade. That help a lot in the cooling process. The front door window also is a source for incoming heat. I also block the ceiling vents with styrofoam to keep the cold air from leaving.

Make sure as bobc said change the filters, i have to change monthly, but then we have a dog and cat. No need to buy the best filter just a filter.

I also found that it cools better on 50amp service instead of 30 amp.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 08:35 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by be happy View Post
I also found that it cools better on 50amp service instead of 30 amp.
This is most likely because only compressor 1 is running on 30A.
Old 10-14-2023, 05:58 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim53g View Post
I have a 2006 Winnebago Itasca Suncruiser with what they call a basement AC/Heater. My question is this Should AC keep up with keeping cool in side when outside temp is 80-85 degrees. I am in Florida. AC run constantly
Thank you in advance
Jim
Yes #1 compressor will run constantly when the difference between interior temp and thermostat set temp is less than 4°F..When thermostat set temp has been reached for a set period, then the unit will shut down compressor
#1. When the temperature difference is more than 4°F, both compressors #1 and #2 will run.
The first 10 pages of the RVP 6535 heat pump service manual describes thermostat operation in detail.

I disagree with Be Happy about the air filter, I use the Filtrette filters rated for allergens, when I began I had to replace the air filter every 2 weeks for the first 6 months then the inside air became clean enough I could extend replacement to once a month.
Using the OEM green mesh filter or the cheapest filter one can find(regardless of what Winnebago says) is asking for a stopped up evaporator coil. What the air filter does not catch, the evaporator does catch.(The indoor coil will either be the evaporator coil or the condenser coil depending on heat or cool mode)

If you can reach down the ductwork and feel, or use a mechanics telescoping mirror to view the evaporator coil you will be amazed. One man said his felt like a rug instead of cooling fins.

Many people complain about poor cooling, yet think nothing of the air flow required to accomplish adequate cooling/heating.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 11:13 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Ray's right. What we sometimes forget is that the filters filter the air on the way back to the A/C, not on the way to the vents.
Old 10-18-2023, 05:44 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Some Additional Points

I just replaced my 1" filter with a 4" thick one. It has less pressure drop and doesn't have to be replaced as often.

Some good advice in this string of posts. Also, remember that this AC system is supposed to recirculate and cool/heat the air in the MH, much like your car or truck with the recirculation option (MAX AC). That's why it takes so long to cool down initially.

It's worthwhile to look at the path air flows to get to the filter. It's often under the bottom of the bed, and you will see grills at the foot of the bed. If you track the path, both with slides in and out, you might find leaks to uninsulated spaces or paths blocked by objects that are stored. You want as low a pressure drop as possible getting air to the air filter. And you don't want it picking up heat along the way either.

I just found that the space behind the bed in the slide-out was connected to the air return, so I isolated that space from the air return path with foam board.

Also, check your "duckbill" condensation drain at the bottom of the AC unit. I squeezed it open by hand and it had a couple of gallons of water. It had some dirt and small granules that must have plugged it up.
Steve Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 06:14 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

If you can reach down the ductwork and feel, or use a mechanics telescoping mirror to view the evaporator coil you will be amazed. "One man said his felt like a rug instead of cooling fins."
That was me, Ray.
I'd like to add that I now use the cheap green fiber filter, but I put it on the outside of the "real" filter and I clean the cat fur off it regularly to save the expensive one.
dickb

Tags
suncruiser