Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2018, 04:38 PM   #1
2002 Journey WPK36GD

Basement AC plus adding 2nd unit

My 2002 Journey DL has the basement unit. It seems to work ok both modes but struggles to keep up in 85+ direct sun. So I am thinking that a roof Dometic 15K or something like that would be good as an Auxiliary unit for those SW desert temperatures.

Comments or experiences? My RV place says forget an Aux type unit.
CharlesMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:51 PM   #2

Separately plugged into the 15-20 amp plug on the RV park pedestal? Why not?
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:23 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

My basement unit gave up the ghost barely keeping the rig 5 degrees cooler than outside. I put a 15K roof unit on and have never looked back. I used the basement a/c circuits and fished it up through the ducts tunneling over to the vents. One circuit dead ends at the bedroom vent for a future unit and the other powers the living room unit. I camped next to a guy who had a roof unit and just strung a cord onto the roof from the campground pedestal to power it. Worked OK but had to climb the roof every time he moved.
My plan is to remove the basement unit entirely and use that cabinet for a 12V/110 refridgerator/freezer. Looks like the Dometic portable units will fit just fine.
workinrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 08:12 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

My '94 Vectra basement unit, knock on wood, will freeze me out even on 95 degree days. Hope it keeps it up although very old and thinking about have HVAC local company get compressor and parts to have ready to rebuild some day. Nice quiet operation.
Bill Grimsle is offline   Reply With Quote