Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-20-2020, 08:41 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

5 most important things to outfit the interior of your RV

We are new to RV Living. I need to outfit our Winnebago 24D when we arrive to pick it up in Iowa. What are the 5 most important things for me to buy and bring with me to outfit the interior? We will be spending a week at point of purchase.

I will be bringing sheets for the short queen mattress, a pan for the induction cook top, a broom and a toilet brush.

What else would you recommend?

Thank you in advance for your time and courtesy. Terry and Terry
Freedom24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 09:52 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

To save you tons of money...even though some home bathroom toilet rolls say they can be used for RV or Marine black water tanks...is to take copious amounts of normal everyday (and way more cheaper...) intended for home usage-->T.P...and do the number one tinkle 'er..freshen up' dab for both you and the missus...then...do NOT flush it down your RV toilet...but 'shhh...put them/it into a grocery store size plastic bag...twist tied down near or behind the toilet. Near full...merely knot it closed and throw it out with your trash. You will save a ton of money...for how often we do indeed visit the ' loo' each and every day. For your guests...you have the proper R.V. (expensive to the nine's) T.P for THEM to flush down the loo. BTW..for you and your partner...this is only for #1 affairs of the heart...for #2..of course, you use the $$$-stuff as your guests do. We have saved much coin, in doing this...as standard, home use T.P. ,that you don't have to even worry about, how it MIGHT clog your Black Water , (for you ain't flushing it down into the depths...lol). I'll let others add their favorite 'don't leave home without's'...but thought to put our little bathroom 'secret' M.O. out there... Have fun! Enjoy your new adventure!
Sun_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 09:58 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Congratulations!

You’ll eventually end up with everything you use at home, but to start you’ll need the essentials. Think of it as an empty motel room. You’ve got a mattress, a bathroom and a small kitchen, but they’re all empty and there’s no maid service.

Clothes
Bedding/pillows
Towels/toiletries/TP
Paper plates, plastic utensils, cups, paper towels. Probably some food

Bring some chairs to sit outside and stare at your new baby while you make a list of everything you want to add.

Great idea camping out where you buy it. Use EVERYTHING and make SURE it all works. Not just once. Repeatedly. There are many who have said “it worked at the dealer, now it doesn’t”.

Do some reading about how dealers treat you after you drive off the lot. There are exceptions, of course, but it seems in most cases the dealer will lock the gate behind you and make it very difficult for you to get back in to have something fixed once you leave.
I don’t want to scare you or bum you out. I just want you to be aware. The more you know, the better off you’ll be.

Watch some YouTube videos on your new model so that you are very familiar with everything before you get there.
You can also record your walk thru on your phone so you can go back and watch something that you may have missed. The tech should spend all the time you need, so don’t rush.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:08 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
the not-so-secret to TP use in an RV is lots of water. you don't need the "RV" as it is expensive. we've been using Scott's single ply TP in our motor homes for 34-years with zero issues. we also use https://www.happycampers.store to help with odors. others use different products, some nothing. but do not be afraid to flush the TP...just use ample water

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 05:38 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Paper Towels/rags/sponges
Soaps
Broom/minivac (as you already posted)
Doormat (yeah it's outside but keeps inside clean)
Beer
CoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 06:42 AM   #6
2020 2108FBS

If you are like me I can’t get started in the morning without COFFEE. Also, towels and wash cloths. A small trash can or some way to handle garbage.
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 07:14 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

A flashlight of some sort. I like headlamps.

Some basic tools, screwdrivers, wrenches, etc. No need to go overboard but you don't want a loose screw on a hose clamp to ruin your trip.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 08:34 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
the not-so-secret to TP use in an RV is lots of water. you don't need the "RV" as it is expensive. we've been using Scott's single ply TP in our motor homes for 34-years with zero issues. we also use https://www.happycampers.store to help with odors. others use different products, some nothing. but do not be afraid to flush the TP...just use ample water
Well that is good, if you are connected to an on-camping site sewer. Sure...but if you're there for over three days..for two..with no sewer, and as in our 1706FB, you have a 25 gallon Black Water...and/or...you also don't have a water tap at your site..but must funnel it into your potable water holding tank, in some parks that we enjoy...that could be a problem. You either fill up your Black Water...and you are S.O.L., or you deplete your (in our case, 35 gallon fresh water) and have to go for a 4 trip refill to the community water tap. With our suggested T.P., non-flush method, you in fact use very little water per flush, and we have gone almost two weeks before we hit the Black Water holding tank sensor warning. We also throw out our 'tinkle' plastic bag each day..and for us at least...it has worked to a charm, for two.
Sun_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 03:40 PM   #9
Site Team

1. Credit card
  2. Cork screw
  3. Coffee and some way to make it (I like this one and some number 4 paper filters for fast clean up) https://www.amazon.com/GSI-Outdoors-.../dp/B01NGZ2MOY
  4. A few cups and utensils
  5. Flashlight
Old 08-26-2020, 02:01 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

-Dishes: pots/pans, cooking utensils, paper plates, cups, plastic silverware.
-Chairs
-Toiletries: soap, shampoo, toothpaste, TP.
-Broom
-Clothes, Bedding

There is no need to buy expensive "RV" toilet paper; any "septic safe" TP will work fine. We've been RVing for 32 years, 3 different rigs, at least half of our time is spent boondocking...never bought a single roll of "RV" TP; also never had a clogged black tank. The idea of putting used TP in a separate bag is...ewwww....but, to each his own. I've always kinda chuckled at those who buy a fully self contained recreational vehicle, and then don't use certain parts of it; fresh water tank (yup, we drink from it), toilet (yup, we poo in it), etc. But again, to each his own.
Old 08-26-2020, 04:33 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

In the weeks prior to driving up to Forest City to pick up our RV (from Houston), we kept Amazon Prime very busy with orders for interior and exterior - and then loaded up a rental one-way minivan for the trip to get the RV.

When we received the RV, other than food, we had everything we needed - and were able to transfer everything from the minivan and move into the RV and enjoy our first night.

Strongly recommend that you plan to spend at least one night, preferably two, at the dealership, so that if there are any items missed during the walkthroughs, you can get those resolved by the dealer before heading back home.
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 04:37 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I’m with Janet H, bring more of your favorite coffee than you think you’ll need. I use Gevalia and found that I can’t find it in all states or chain groceries. Also, if you plan to boondock, you won’t be able to plug your coffee maker in unless you use the genny. Pack a plastic drip cone with either a gold filter or a pack of paper filters. Remove the coffee pot from the electric maker. Heat the water on your propane stove, slowly pour into the cone sitting on the drip coffee pot and enjoy the start to your day. You’re welcome. ��
BlueGekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 05:02 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

We also have just begun our travels by RV and have decided not to drop TP into the black tank. We bought a cheap garbage can with a rocker lid and find that it contains any odors. If you do want to use TP, this video is great... and actually funny!

We also bought a large mat for out front as some campgrounds are dusty, have small rocks or sticky bits from the trees and I don't want all that stuff inside. HDMI cable, coaxial cables and a wifi booster would also be worth considering if you're that type of camper!
Old 08-26-2020, 05:23 PM   #14
2002 Journey WPK36GD

Internet for us

Our greatest priority is the Internet and sufficient bandwidth to watch Netflix, Amazon and Youtube. This can be pricey but is worth it on those days the beautiful backdrops you see become mundane. This scene is very, very rapidly changing and there are few experts tha are up-to-date.

All the other stuff you can buy or sell in local markets or flea markets. I will not mention my ideas here because this is flame territory. So if you want more, you ask the question in this thread or forever hold you peace.
CharlesMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 05:25 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Also, though we haven’t found many campgrounds that offer cable TV, either pay or free access, it’s useful to have a 25 ft length of coax cable just in case you find one. If your cable hookup on your RV is difficult to reach, as is mine on our ‘19 Navion, buy a 3 ft pigtail coax and a male/female connector. Screw the pigtail into the hard to reach cable connection on your RV and leave it there as a permanent fixture. Then store the 25 ft coax and male/female connector together for a much easier connection when you find a campground with access. And then sit back and enjoy your coffee.
BlueGekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 05:27 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprochnow View Post
In the weeks prior to driving up to Forest City to pick up our RV (from Houston), we kept Amazon Prime very busy with orders for interior and exterior - and then loaded up a rental one-way minivan for the trip to get the RV.

When we received the RV, other than food, we had everything we needed - and were able to transfer everything from the minivan and move into the RV and enjoy our first night.

Strongly recommend that you plan to spend at least one night, preferably two, at the dealership, so that if there are any items missed during the walkthroughs, you can get those resolved by the dealer before heading back home.

What a great idea. We are making a list as well and didn't want to get carried away. How did you plan out storage in the RV? The kitchen stuff seems straight forward...did you store clothes under the sofa at the Murphy bed? Thanks!
Old 08-26-2020, 05:28 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesMoore View Post
Our greatest priority is the Internet and sufficient bandwidth to watch Netflix, Amazon and Youtube. This can be pricey but is worth it on those days the beautiful backdrops you see become mundane. This scene is very, very rapidly changing and there are few experts tha are up-to-date.

We are looking at that as well, but there doesn't see to be one solution. Have you figured it out yet?
Old 08-26-2020, 06:03 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Clean water

I'm a little fussier than most about having truly clean water to drink. The water this filtering system produces tests about equal with distilled water. It also takes out any hardness, which prevents scaling in coffee makers, etc. About sixty bucks. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...8&psc=1:dance:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom24 View Post
We are new to RV Living. I need to outfit our Winnebago 24D when we arrive to pick it up in Iowa. What are the 5 most important things for me to buy and bring with me to outfit the interior? We will be spending a week at point of purchase.

I will be bringing sheets for the short queen mattress, a pan for the induction cook top, a broom and a toilet brush.

What else would you recommend?

Thank you in advance for your time and courtesy. Terry and Terry
golden13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 06:19 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

half-baked compromise

It is exceedingly frustrating, given the "squishy" definition of the term "unlimited" in regards to high-speed data.

After trying a LOT of different solutions, I've found that having 4 different devices on T-Mobile's "Magenta Plan" gives me the maximum of high-speed data. It's not the cheapest (around $350/mo) but it gets us enough to stream video and support my wife's telecommuting every day. With this plan, we get a total of about 100GB/month, with the option to buy extra quite cheaply.

From what I understand, the "unlimited" plan that A,T&T had is not available to new customers anymore.

There are high hopes for Elon Musk's plans to blanket the skies with satellites, allowing for actual high-speed satellite data for affordable rates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom24 View Post
We are looking at that as well, but there doesn't see to be one solution. Have you figured it out yet?
golden13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 06:32 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

To save even MORE money, sell the rv, you will save tons of money, stress and aggravation !!!!!
az wiz is offline   Reply With Quote