Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2020, 06:59 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

Be sure to bring your cell phone chargers, personal toiletries, household cleaners, collapsible bucket, water hose, a multi-tap adapter so you will be able to use the campground spigot while your RV is still attached, a fly swatter (prefer the d-cell electric from Harbor Freight), some aerosol pest control, mosquito repellent, a windshield squeegee with an extending handle, some basic tools, first aid kit, any meds you need along with some antihistamine, bicarbonate, etc for headaches/stomach upsets. Just about all the basics you normally need to make it through the day from breakfast through bed time so do not forget the dish soap either or the toothpicks, eyeglass wipes, napkins, disinfectant, so forth and so on. Plain basic Corelle is light and sturdy, some coffee or tea mugs a pour over coffee cone with filters is great or it your a Kurig fan the small $20 or less Walmart K-Cup machine take little space and will take care of that,

The Walmart Mainstays model for $19.92 is just fine and I use it every day at home since it takes so much less room than the huge Kurig machines and it will support using a 14 ounce mug.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays...ffee/772125593

Stacking pots and pans with removable handles are great since they take up much less space.
https://www.amazon.com/Stansport-Pre...%2C175&sr=8-87

Really common sense things.
Old 08-26-2020, 07:03 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

In our 21VD, there's enough room in the electrical compartment to store both the shore power cable and the cable coax.

We replaced the D20 cartridge under the sink with a D30, which does a much better than the D20, though it does reduce the flow of the cold water at the galley sink, which we were willing to accept.

We replaced the stock 32" TV with a Samsung 32" 4K Smart TV - with much better picture and sound (the stock TV was difficult to hear over the air conditioner).

For internet, we have a WeBoost Drive Reach Extreme RV (4G/5G booster) and a Wineguard Connect 2.0 (WiFi booster/basic firewall). All of our devices (TV, tablets, ...) use the Connect 2.0's WiFi network, which we then pair either with one of our 4G/5G smartphone hotspots (each phone gets 100GB of hotspot data per month) or with the RV park WiFi (if it's fast enough).
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 09:57 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

(I know this is more than 5....but I wouldn’t go without these)
1. 20’ Black water hose with end caps
2. 20’ fresh water hose with pressure reducer
3. Progressive Industries Electrical Management System HW30C (not just a surge suppressor...recommend the one installed inside)
4. Bottle of Downey (Vice black water chemicals- just a sploosh In the pot after every use)
5. Cover for the front and side windows (exterior)
6. Power cable adaptors: both 50 amp and the normal house plug size.
7. Spare fuses for every (EVERY) size fuse you have in the rig
8. (If you don’t have levelers 4” plastic ramps for leveling the front end
9. Your RV manuals.
10. Your Good Sam Platinum Complete roadside assistance number
11. Apps for your phone: Gas Buddy, Waze, RVParky, FreeRoam.
.....and don’t worry about the toilet paper cost...just buy the RV safe stuff at Walmart and don’t look back....
Old 08-27-2020, 10:04 AM   #24
Winnebago Owner

The first things I put in my RV were a fire extinguisher, first aid kit, rechargeable flashlight, basic tools, and a Keurig with lots of coffee! I've never had to use the extinguisher thankfully, but a little forethought could prevent a catastrophe. Eventually, you will find you have all the essentials from home also in your RV. Just takes a few trips till you figure out what they are.
jimkamery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 01:56 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Not so much that you need to pack but once you are on the road...see how the new rig behaves with cross winds and truck wash from passing trucks. If you find yourself fighting the wheel and object to the rocking motion...investigate a set of Sumo Springs to replace the front and rear shock bumpers. They help minimize the rock motion as we move about while stationary camping and provide a stiffer ride but help cut out the annoying sway from crosswind and truck wash. They made a world of difference on my 2011 VIA 25Q. You might also ask the dealer to show you how to check air pressure on the rear duallys. If your new Sprinter has its own TPM system you are in luck but my older 2011 class A came without. Sprinter rims are a difficult access issue on the duallys. I invested in metal outer mount valve stems and AirMax AML1 flexible valve extensions for the duallys so I could mount TireMinder tire pressure temperature monitors on all 6 tires. I also carry a 120 volt portable air compressor that has been used many times for both my own and fellow campers use. Wimpy gas station air pumps are no match for the 60-80 psi that may be needed for your tires.
Geosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 02:20 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Just another thought on the Sprinter operation. From a personal experience...a very knowledgeable MB service tech once told me to avoid letting the engine idle for long periods of time ...ie. perhaps a 1/2 hour while one member is shopping to restore the frig.... or to help charge the coach batteries. The MB sprinter Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve (EGR) does not like to get too hot and can stick. If this happens you will be lucky to move much faster than 30 mph. The transmission will not upshift leaving you only to manual shift and slowly accelerate until you can get to MB for service. If staying cool with AC, needing heat or recharging the coach batteries... it may be far better to turn on the generator and use the coach AC/heat pump or propane furnace.
Old 08-27-2020, 04:07 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Also Bring Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom24 View Post
We are new to RV Living. I need to outfit our Winnebago 24D when we arrive to pick it up in Iowa. What are the 5 most important things for me to buy and bring with me to outfit the interior? We will be spending a week at point of purchase.

I will be bringing sheets for the short queen mattress, a pan for the induction cook top, a broom and a toilet brush.

What else would you recommend?

Thank you in advance for your time and courtesy. Terry and Terry

Aside from the things needed for basic living, we bring a Shark stick vacuum cleaner that's great for keeping our coach dust free. Bringing an assortment of repair tools have been invaluable to me on many occasions, especially when my wife and I were traveling full-time in our motorhome.

While staying in a resort near Palm Springs, California, half of the AC power in our coach went out. The main breaker in the panel had failed. Fortunately a nearby electrical supply store had an exact replacement in stock. Since we had our car in tow I was able to quickly buy the part. I unplugged our coach from shore power, removed the bad breaker, cleaned the contacts and installed the new breaker. Years later, it's still working.

While staying in a state Florida campground, I mistakenly neglected to check the campground's water pressure. The excessive pressure damaged the bypass valve in my water heater, shutting off the water. I was able to use my tools to do a temporary field repair and restore running water until I installed a replacement valve ordered from my dealer. Now the first thing I do is use a calibrated gauge to check water pressure at the campground. If it's too high, I install a pressure regulator on the faucet. I consider those two accessories ESSENTIAL in addition to 160-feet potable water hoses.

Driving on the I-495 Washington DC Beltway, my electric steps began sporadically extending and retracting. My wife checked the door to make sure it was closed tightly, but that was not the problem. After pulling off the highway and finding a spacious parking area, I found that one of the wires to the magnetic switch controlling the electric steps had broken loose. Among my tools and supplies were crimp-on spade lugs and insulated wire connectors. I was able to crimp on a new spade lug, reconnect the wire and fix the step problem. Having those connectors and an assortment of fuses have enabled me to make other electrical repairs on the road.

There are countless other examples that I can cite, but watching YouTube videos, reading instruction manuals and having the willingness and tools to fix RV problems can save a lot of money, delays and headaches.
lewisedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:09 PM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Right on Lewisedge! Electrical issues are common place and there are no guarantees that all roads will be smooth. Things can get shaken about more than we realize.
To make winterizing a lot easier I made an air compressor to garden hose male fitting to make it easy to blow out the water lines for winterizing the RV. I still need to pull the water heater plug to drain it but blowing out the lines is a lot easier than trying to pump antifreeze through the lines to make certain everything is protected. The little bit of antifreeze needed; I save for traps and add a little to the gray and black tank once they are thoroughly washed out.
Old 08-29-2020, 04:23 AM   #29
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormnLonnie View Post
We also have just begun our travels by RV and have decided not to drop TP into the black tank. We bought a cheap garbage can with a rocker lid and find that it contains any odors. If you do want to use TP, this video is great... and actually funny!

We also bought a large mat for out front as some campgrounds are dusty, have small rocks or sticky bits from the trees and I don't want all that stuff inside. HDMI cable, coaxial cables and a wifi booster would also be worth considering if you're that type of camper!
Yeah...the plastic 'tinkle bag' works for us, quite well. If you have your three piece large enough to hold a top-lifter, that sure would work out. With our 1706FB, that little plastic bag (that gets thrown out, each morning after first Queen-Exit...lol!....) doesn't get in the way. If we have guests, other than just my wife and self, we dispense with our little 'loo secret' and just have the fully digestible T.P. for all. Most people have only one #2 per day, but you'd be surprised if kept track, how many times you whistle the #1 song. We personally found this to save $$$ after exiting the bathroom. And as stated in another post, we personally, wish to conserve water, that which goes down the loo and drains, as well as having to re-fill (some places that's a pain...) our 35 gallon potable/fresh water. Each to their own, of course, in how they handle any possible clogging of their Black Water Tank. The B.W.T. rinse feature (which is on our 1706FB) is all and good, but not when you are at the Dump Station, and there are 5 other campers waiting behind you for their Dump 'n Skedattle...LOL. I use that all the time, when we have a site with three way hookup.

https://www.rvweb.net/best-rv-toilet-papers-reviewed/

Really enjoyed this vid...his daughter is SO CUTE! God Bless her!
Sun_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote