Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2015, 11:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Winnebago Recall On Leaking LP Hose Important!!

Winnebago Industries, Inc. (Winnebago) is recalling certain model year 2013-2016 Winnebago Era, Travato, View, Trend, Via, Journey, and Tour motorhomes and Itasca Navion, Viva, Reyo, Meridian, and Elipse motorhomes manufactured June 26, 2012, to August 26, 2015. In the affected vehicles, the high pressure liquid propane (LP) hose may harden and result in an LP leak at the crimp fitting.
Check here: @ www.-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov.
Just FYI but this should be taken seriously.
T Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 12:38 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Corrected link

Recall Acknowledgement

Defect Notice 573 Report

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 12:10 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for posting this info. My motorhome is one that is affected by this recall. Since it may be some time before Winnebago has replacement parts and sends out notification, I'm guessing the best thing to do for now is to turn off the LP tank valve.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:47 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I called Winnebago Customer Service and got right through, no recorded menus, etc. I was told that owners of affected units would receive a letter within 60 days. I asked since my motorhome is a 2016, if the issue with hardening LP hose doesn't pose an immediate danger. She agreed that I shouldn't be in imminent danger.
Old 12-08-2015, 05:23 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper Ken View Post
... I asked since my motorhome is a 2016, if the issue with hardening LP hose doesn't pose an immediate danger. She agreed that I shouldn't be in imminent danger.
Ken,

You should be aware that some of us with recalled units have experienced the failure well before one year has passed. In our case the propane hose failed 10 months after we had received delivery. Others have experienced failure even sooner.
Old 12-08-2015, 08:32 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Dan,
How did you discover that you had a bad LP hose? What were the warning signs?
NCTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:55 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTom View Post
Dan,
How did you discover that you had a bad LP hose? What were the warning signs?

It was really a lucky find. I was pulling into the Lichtsinn service bay for scheduled service when the service manager said he smelled propane. The leak must have just started as we were on our way home after a nearly 10 week trip to Alaska.
Old 12-08-2015, 05:38 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Dan,

Did you or dealer find a noticeable drop on the LP tank gauge or your inside digital gauge? How long had it been since you had filled your LP tank? Sorry,
just curious.
Thanks
Tom
Old 12-08-2015, 06:28 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Tom,

Tank dropped from full to 3/4 full in an hour or less. Must have been a pretty good leak. Your Brave isn't subject to a recall, is it?
Old 12-08-2015, 08:16 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Dan,
Thanks, no the Brave is not on any of the list I have seen so far and I have not received a notice. It's just good to be aware. Glad to hear you caught yours before it cause a real problem.
Thanks again
Tom
Old 12-09-2015, 06:30 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTom View Post
Dan,
Thanks, no the Brave is not on any of the list I have seen so far and I have not received a notice. It's just good to be aware. Glad to hear you caught yours before it cause a real problem.
Thanks again
Tom
BTW, Tom, I just love the Brave. We were at the Winnebago Grand National Rally when they rolled it out. Really like what they did with the retro design to make it so modern inside!

Safe travels,
Old 12-09-2015, 08:07 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Dan,

We really enjoy it. We stepped down from a Tiffin diesel pusher so it took a lot of getting use to. But it is exactly what we wanted. Funny story, on the way home for taking delivery I stopped at a rest stop and a man about 70 come up and is admiring the Brave and says to me, "it looks great, is that a new paint job." I said yeah, it's brand new. starting to see more on the road also, was beginning to think I had the only one. Ha.
Travel safe
Tom
Old 12-11-2015, 05:12 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I received my recall notice. I already have a service appointment on January 18th to fix the steps which are not extending. The service scheduler said she's already been quite busy with phone calls about this recall. She said she "hopes" they'll have enough parts in stock for this recall by the time of my appointment.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:55 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

We had a propane pressure regulator fail early on. Our propane line failed while driving down the highway, sounded like a blowout. Quite spooky, but i was able to get the propane shut off without an explosion. It was hot summer in TX, and the exhaust & turbo get plenty hot enough to ignite the propane. We had the line replaced, and while Camping World was refilling my propane tank, the tech smelled another leak. They took it back and also replaced another propane line. I was told that the high pressure line that blew and was replaced, will have to be replaced again, by the line with the new part number, when they get them in. Of course, no one is supposed to use their propane until the new lines are installed. I was told after the first failure that the undercoating sprayed on by Winnebago had compromised the propane line, and made it fail. The tech & I feel the line was made up wrong, and had a fitting on the end that caused the high pressure line to have to bend excessively, because it failed near the fitting.
2015 Navion 24G
mike in tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 11:41 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I have the new hose from the recall and since the "new" hose was installed I began to have the problem with an oily residue in the regulator only; clogging the pressure in the propane system. Since there has been no oily residue in the lines or the "canister" which traps oil or in the propane tank itself, I ruled out a bad or contaminated propane fill. It has to be from the new hose to the regulator.

What to do? - One thought is that the pressure builds enough to leach the plasticizers from the new hose and the next "catch" along the way is the regulator. This has only happened after a 6 hour ride to my next site. On the one shorter ride (3 hours with cooler temps) I did not have an issue. In theory most of the plasticizers in the new hose should release during the initial uses and eventually decrease but this depends largely on the hose materials. There are hoses in the market ( nylon-lined) ( stainless steel) that manufacturers claim reduce the contaminants. I spoke to Winnebago about this issue and they said that I could install a copper hose which customers had done before the new hose was ready. I'm thinking that turning the valve off at the tank during a long trip will help with reducing the pressure in the hose and opening it when I arrive. Winnebago asked me to report back if these two steps resolve the problem.
Carmyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 10:45 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmyne View Post
I have the new hose from the recall and since the "new" hose was installed I began to have the problem with an oily residue in the regulator only; clogging the pressure in the propane system. Since there has been no oily residue in the lines or the "canister" which traps oil or in the propane tank itself, I ruled out a bad or contaminated propane fill. It has to be from the new hose to the regulator.

Your concern of liquid being leached from the new hose is valid and shared with others in the recent past since the recall was performed. Actual industry research has verified that LPG contamination from this process happens. The problem is they do not specify how much liquid actually drops out.

Things to think about. The last batch of hoses was "recalled" because the plasticizer was leached out and the hoses hardened and shrunk, causing cracks at the barb, and subsequent leakage. And now, if you are correct, Winnebago has given you the same problem all over, again. This does not inspire confidence in using them as a "solution finder".

If, indeed, the hoses are the cause of the liquid that caused your problem, then your hoses should already be showing a shrinkage and stiffening.

It is not valid to make a judgement on propane contamination by what was NOT found in the drop pipe (canister?) That device is not a trap or filter for oils dissolved in propane. No one will ever find any thing inside that device as it is purged every time the LP solenoid is energized. If the repair facility does not understand this, find some one competent.

Are you making these observations yourself or relying on the feed back from the "technicians" performing the service? If relying on their feedback, you can not make any reliable conclusions.

I have followed your posts on "that other forum" and you pose some very good questions and make some good points based on what you believe is accurate information.

Phil
PSOUZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:34 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Phil -
Thanks for sharing your experience with this issue. I am relying on the tech's at my service dealer to provide me with their findings. They were not getting any guidance from WB so they called other distributors , specifically in Vegas where the issue of oily residue in the regulator is an issue as well.

From my experience I believe that temperature is a variable that plays a role in the oily residue clogging the regulator. After each regulator that was replaced it worked fine when I had it home and ran the fridge on propane overnight. When I drove 6+ hours with 100 degree heat, that is when the regulator became clogged.

I also had the tank 3/4 full ( its limit) on each occasion and I go the propane from different sources each time.
What do you think about changing to a copper hose as far as eliminating the hose variable?
Carmyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:40 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

You are in a seemingly unique position in gathering some valuable info, that no one else has been able to supply.

The idea of using copper line between the tank and drop pipe, and drop pipe to regulator is a very good one...providing the following. 1.) The propane mixture remains the same as at the last failure incident. Same load.. 2.) All the lines have been purged and are known to be "clean" of oil.

If these conditions can not be met, the value of the test is greatly reduced. Reduced...but not nullified.

A caution regarding the use of the copper line. Copper can become brittle and crack under flex and vibration fairly quickly. The tank is connected directly to the frame. The regulator MAY be connected to the house structure and will have a different range of movement and vibration moment from the tank, thus flexing the copper beyond comfortable limits. Therefor the test should be of short duration and not left as a permanent installation.

Some observations from my post mortem of my old lines.

The exterior of the old lines smelled strongly of mercaptan and that smell would rub off on my hands. The material was sticky to the touch and proved that the high pressure lines were leaking gas and another substance that carried the odor of the mercaptan thru the wall of the hose. Possibly the plasticiser, from the hose wall. This condition ceased a few days after removal. The low pressure hose never exhibited this condition and remained semi-flexible.

The observation indicates that the high vapor pressure did, indeed, have a major effect on the degrading of the high pressure hoses and much less so to the low pressure hose.

It should be a given that high temperature will accelerate any chemical reaction and so the effect should be noted but, the end result is only the acceleration of the process and not otherwise significant. Not significant only because the condition can not be controlled and can add error to your observation and conclusions.

While this possible additional source of contamination is very interesting and nailing it down as an actual source of contamination would help diagnosing these issues immensely, I suggest that learning to deal with and avoid the negative effects of the oils is more valuable in the long term. From whatever source they come, they will always exist.

Phil
Old 09-05-2016, 09:39 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSOUZA View Post

It is not valid to make a judgement on propane contamination by what was NOT found in the drop pipe (canister?) That device is not a trap or filter for oils dissolved in propane. No one will ever find any thing inside that device as it is purged every time the LP solenoid is energized.

Phil
I had a problem with my propane system a couple of months ago while traveling and fortunately found an RV repair shop that could get me in that day. I watched as the tech removed what he called the "oil trap" and saw him pour out a fair amount of oil. I also watched when he removed the regulator and pour out more oil from it.

After he cleaned the "oil trap" and replaced the regulator all was fine until a couple of weeks ago. I seem to have the same problem as there is so little pressure the stove barely lights. I have an appointment next week at the repair facility of a Winnebago dealer where I live. I'll share with them the information from this and other threads on this forum and report back.

I'm wondering since the problem reoccured if I have oil in the tank?
Old 09-05-2016, 02:57 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper Ken View Post
I'm wondering since the problem reoccured if I have oil in the tank?
Very little doubt that you have a large amount of "oil" in the tank.

Considering all the people who have various degrees of this problem, there is not much anecdotal or real evidence in sufficient detail to be of much help in diagnosing this issue. Your information is appreciated.

The apparent finding of oil in the drop pipe is the first instance reported that I have seen. It indicates that either the amount of oil exceeds the ability of the propane to dissolve it and carry it thru the entire distillation process or that a large amount of oil, that will not dissolve in propane, was acquired. In any case, the result is the same.

There are limits to what steps can be taken to mitigate the contaminated fuel supply. I have outlined what I consider to be a viable range of changes that can be made to the average LP system that will enable it to survive contaminated LP. Your current state may exceed those limits.

A current definition of insanity is performing the same action repeatedly and expecting a different result. Your service provider may not be sufficient to help you.

Phil

Tags
leak, recall, winnebago